Washing Your Kayak

brambor

Just curious. Has anyone here tried to drive through a carwash with the kayak on the roof?

:D

I would suggest a manual car wash where they have the high pressure hoses that eat quarters.

-Jason

This thought occured to me last weekend as I was arriving at a YMCA pool session. Prior to my departure from home I washed my kayak inside and out.

When I arrived at the YMCA the kayak picked up a lot of dirt from the road. Needless to say I could not find any carwash. Instead I took a bucket in which I carry my kayaking stuff and went inside the YMCA to ask for hot water and washed the kayak outside prior to carrying it in.

I would suggest a manual car wash where they have the high pressure hoses that eat quarters.

-Jason

In the past we have washed the kayaks at pool side (running any dirt into a nearby drain). I'd be surprised if a pool wouldn't have this capability. I've been washing mortar and grout from buckets the last few (cold) weeks and I can say washing anything outside in the winter (when pool sessions are held) is not alot of fun.

Just curious. Has anyone here tried to drive through a carwash with the kayak on the roof?

Just the wand style. Problem is if it is too cold, the boat freezes to the roof. When it does FINALLY come off when you pull the straps, it flies off and breaks mirrors. Don't ask me how I know.

Last session, my kayak had too much road dirt on it and the temps were below 15 and so just brought along a couple of gallon jugs of hot water for a quick rinse and then towel dry and it was clean.

Not all pools have an outside water hose turned on in the winter. Ipswich Y does, not sure of others.

Suz

A couple years ago I took my tandem to a pool session to play with rolling it.

Before going, I had spent considerable time washing out the evidence of the porcupine which had taken residence in the boat in my shed (shortly thereafter the critter succumbed to lead poisoning).

After the first roll attempt, I had to drag the boat out the door to dump outside. Took 4 trips if I remember correctly before I dared drain it even into the floor drains.

I'd be willing to bet No One has ever tryed to do that!

I think you should go ahead and give it a try.

Be sure to capture it on video so you can post it on Youtube!

A viddy of a kayak being totally distroyed on top of a car in a drive through carwash my well be the next big viral video.

It may be tough to find a car wash willing to let you do it though, as it would damage the car wash machines as well.

you clearly seeem to know carwashees. Why would it damage the machinery?

Btw I haven't really said it was a good idea...

I'd be willing to bet No One has ever tryed to do that!

I think you should go ahead and give it a try.

Be sure to capture it on video so you can post it on Youtube!

A viddy of a kayak being totally distroyed on top of a car in a drive through carwash my well be the next big viral video.

It may be tough to find a car wash willing to let you do it though, as it would damage the car wash machines as well.

you clearly seeem to know carwashees. Why would it damage the machinery?

Btw I haven't really said it was a good idea...

As someone that doesn't know car washes this would be my guess. The car wash is configured to have sensors that track the outline of the car. It knows where the front bumper is tracks it way up and around the windshield. In one way that it could go wrong is the big horizontal spinning brush could get stuck between the car and the boat as the track pushes the car forward.

All of the car washes that I have been to want you to tuck your mirrors in and won't let you in with roof racks on. As Brad said it could make a cool you tube video.

-Jason