What's up with the lip?

brambor

My one and only sprayskirt is Seals Surf 1.4

It goes on easy. Putting a skirt on the coaming is almost an afterthought.

Now my wife and son have these fancier skirts. One from Kokatat and one from PeakUK. They have a hard time putting the skirt on as there is about 2 inches of extra lip around the perimeter of the bungee.

Is there a reason for this or is this something that everyone just cuts off after the purchase? :D

There is a video on this page that shows some of the features for this type of skirt.(and how to put it on)

http://www.immersionresearch.com/products/sprayskirts/sbd/

I believe that these types of skirts have fewer seams and are less likely to implode. I had an NRS one that I sold with one of my boats; never used it enough to be comfortable putting it on by myself.

That's it. Thank you Thank you Thank You

There is a video on this page that shows some of the features for this type of skirt.(and how to put it on)

http://www.immersionresearch.com/products/sprayskirts/sbd/

I believe that these types of skirts have fewer seams and are less likely to implode. I had an NRS one that I sold with one of my boats; never used it enough to be comfortable putting it on by myself.

<I believe that these types of skirts have fewer seams and are less likely to implode>

So...when did you last have a sprayskirt implode on you? B)

It's happened to me a couple of times when oversized waves I was stupid enough to surf, dumped on me. I believe there must be a size limit to the maximum surf-able wave height as well as a breaking point for spray skirts gripping ability.

• 2 weeks later...
It's happened to me a couple of times when oversized waves I was stupid enough to surf, dumped on me. I believe there must be a size limit to the maximum surf-able wave height as well as a breaking point for spray skirts gripping ability.

My guess is your skirt was not fitted correctly, or it was made of nylon, or you were in a plastic boat with a skirt made for a glass boat ect.

A well fitted neo skirt on a composite boat will not likely implode, even when broched in BIG dumping surf. and that includes keyholes.

I once broke a glass boat hitting nothing but water... my skirt stayed on.