Walden Pond Greenland Day

Bill Gwynn

I just wanted to thank everyone that volunteered their time today. I had a great time and learned some new skills. Actually it was more like a revelation, being able to roll up to a static brace after a capsize, it puts a whole new spin on things for me. Can't wait to spend some more time with a GP. Thanks again!!!

PS. I think I saw Werner's (AKA "The Man in Black") long lost sister. I believe she is known as "Black Magic Woman"... Nice new dry suit Suz.

Great experience... thanks to Suz for coordinating and to the many Walden mentors who contributed their time, knowledge and patience!

Now, I'll have to get me one of those sticks to play around with ;-)

Thank you, thank you to everyone who helped me today--Suzanne for organizing the event and the delicious soup, Dan for the forward stroke, sculling, and bracing lessons--Turner for his patience and sense of humor--Jed for helping me not to drown while I learnt the hand roll--and those who let me use their boats and equipment--man, that static brace can be so relaxing it almost put me to sleep--I understand why Greenlanders when paddling use it to rest--les

Cheri Perry's evening presentation at the Chinatown Community Centre was wonderful: she is engaging and very used to speaking before an audience. The photos of her Greenland trip were magnificent and her pool demonstration -- awesome!

On Sunday, despite a chilly and increasingly-damp day (warmed, however, by Suzanne's splendid lentil and carrot soup), we enjoyed the hospitality of our local Pond Scum neighbours, joined by various QajaqUSA stalwarts, some of whom came from afar, as Suzanne has already reported. These Greenland enthusiasts are tireless teachers and should be gratefully commended for their generosity in giving of their time -- thanks especially to Turner Wilson, Dan Segal, Will Bigelow, Keith Attenborough (whom you all know is this year's president of QajaqUSA, right?) and Cheri (oh, and you, Mr. Luby!) Those with whom I personally spent time in the water (yes: , not ) are wonderful teachers.

Myself, I learned several new and interesting rolls, found the balance brace for which I have been looking for so many months and even learned a "norsaq" roll.

The small-volume boats were a revelation to me (for one)! Now I understand something (however little) about the finesse required to make that roll look elegant. The sitting position in these tiny boats is quite different to our accustomed British boats, so I have some unusual aches today. The trick will be, now, to see how closely I can replicate that fit/feel in my daily hack!

It was a wonderful day (a day for me, actually) and I have to thank Suzanne publicly for having taken the initiative to put it all together. Brilliant!

PS: There is only one thing: fresh water up your nasal passages all day isn't nearly as comfortable as saline, is it? I'm paying for it today...