Stohlquist bPod experiences

jnadler

Does anyone happen to own this suit, with the neoprene neck gasket? Just like Kokatat's Supernova, the bPod is called a semi-drysuit (vs. their gPod). Baed on a few reviews I could find plus a dealer anxious to sell me one, it seems the Stohlquist neck design keeps water out better than the Supernova and these folks claim it really functions as a drysuit.

I already own the Kokatat Supernova, which for me allows lots of water in during a roll. With great sales prices out there (discontinued perhaps), I would get the bPod if it functioned like a drysuit vs my Supernova. But if neo is neo and latex at neck is truly required, I'd look at either a Stolquist gPod or Kokatat drysuits. I should mention that my cold water paddling is on larger lakes and rivers in the northeast and not surf or whitewater. Thank you.

But if neo is neo and latex at neck is truly required, I'd look at either a Stolquist gPod or Kokatat drysuits. I should mention that my cold water paddling is on larger lakes and rivers in the northeast and not surf or whitewater. Thank you.

Prior to the fabric starting to leak, the neo neck gasket of my Stohlquist dry-top kept me dry when rolling.

I would not consider buying a neoprene gasket but the latex gaskets don't bother me. I would wager that the success of a particular suit has as much to do with the compatibility of wearer and suit as it does with the vendour. I know of a few people who are happy with neoprene neck gaskets of dry tops, dry suits, etc.

Suncook Canoe & Kayak in Barnstead, N.H. is going out of business, but he has a couple of the new British PEAK UK drysuits at really decent prices. Very high quality materials and features. This is their new design with the only zipper on it starting on the inside of one leg, going up and under the crotch and down the other leg so you pull it on like a sweater then simply zip the one zipper shut. The store is only open weekends now till the end of December

Does anyone happen to own this suit, with the neoprene neck gasket? Just like Kokatat's Supernova, the bPod is called a semi-drysuit (vs. their gPod). Baed on a few reviews I could find plus a dealer anxious to sell me one, it seems the Stohlquist neck design keeps water out better than the Supernova and these folks claim it really functions as a drysuit.

I already own the Kokatat Supernova, which for me allows lots of water in during a roll. With great sales prices out there (discontinued perhaps), I would get the bPod if it functioned like a drysuit vs my Supernova. But if neo is neo and latex at neck is truly required, I'd look at either a Stolquist gPod or Kokatat drysuits. I should mention that my cold water paddling is on larger lakes and rivers in the northeast and not surf or whitewater. Thank you.

See my comments re the bPod in the Commercial post. The bPod is FAR superior to the SuperNova in several ways, most importantly in breathability, quality of seamwork, and especially neck gasket construction and durability. Just be sure to stretch out the new neck gasket on a coffee can for a day or two before donning.

Ern

See my comments re the bPod in the Commercial post. The bPod is FAR superior to the SuperNova in several ways, most importantly in breathability, quality of seamwork, and especially neck gasket construction and durability. Just be sure to stretch out the new neck gasket on a coffee can for a day or two before donning.

Ern

stetching neoprene? Are you taling the b-pod with neo gasket or the true drysuit g-pod which has a latex gasket?

i have had my BpodT for awhile now...love it.....

as dry as any latex-neck-gasketed dry suit and much more comfortable.....

caveat: if you have a thin scrawny (read that as pleasant as you wish) neck where your tendons pop out when you turn your head then this gasket is probably not for you....if you do the tendons will create a tunnel to allow water run down/enter the suit....it works especially well for us thick-necked-brawny-kayakers......

leaving the neck on a coffee can for a couple of days probably will not do anything...if you left it on there for a few years it might stretch the neoprene out but just a few days probably nothing will be the outcome....it will just be a nice coffee can holder.....

it is a great price for a great suit.....i am especially glad that they added the p-zip standard on them now....

i would also advocate springing the extra money for the tunnel too.....works wonders.....

i have worn this suit many times here in New England as well as for 4 days straight in Alaska this summer in 32 degree water on a rafting trip (and all of my fellow travelers wanted to know why i wasted the space to bring the drysuit and liner - suckers!!!!)

I have no idea what type of neck I have!

Size 15 32-33 shirt and would be getting the bpod M

I'll repeat that my 16.5" neck liked having the neo neck prestretched for a day on a 16" circumference coffee can. Contrary to the remark above, thick neo DOES ease a bit when stretched. However, with a 15" neck I wouldn't bother...unless the M neck is smaller than the L neck, which is entirely possible. If you get one, just try it on. If it's really very snug try the can trick overnight, as it will probably feel better. Don't think this is placebo effect...even though I'm a coffee addict!

i do know that there are different sizes of these gaskets available....and if you need to you could always call up Stohlquist about getting a different sized one installed....

stretching....thats why i said probably....i know that neoprene does stretch out over time...but cannot imagine that a few days would be enough to make that big of a change....i would forsee it also slowly returning back to normal...but that is just in my head..i am not certain....

scrawny neck: as in if you turn your head to the side those gnarly tendons pop out....that's scrawny to me.....but then i have a big fat 18" neck.....(weirdly enough the same size as my corgi does ;) )

scrawny (albeit attractive) neck

2076770415_e7a6e2debf.jpg

as opposed to my fat neck:

Nenana%20rafting%20B-camera%20(29).JPG

heading into the 30 degree water of the Nenana river in an Alpackraft.....