A Calm Day

EEL

With no Cold Water Clinic to guide me, I donned my surfskin and drytop and headed out for an afternoon cruise on Winnipesaukee with Gail. While the ocean beckoned, the lake is deserted this time of year and wandering about islands with no sounds and essentially no boat traffic is not without pleasures. Especially when the clouds are dramatic and colorful. Along the way we encountered a deer, which had to have swum nearly a mile, making the last bit of its crossing to an island of choice and listened as Loons chatted to each other. Water temps now in high 40s so the few rolls as the sun was going down were "invigorating", but keeping the "head in" and staying accustomed to the lowering temps valuable....I guess.

Ed Lawson

With no Cold Water Clinic to guide me, I donned my surfskin and drytop and headed out for an afternoon cruise on Winnipesaukee with Gail. While the ocean beckoned, the lake is deserted this time of year and wandering about islands with no sounds and essentially no boat traffic is not without pleasures. Especially when the clouds are dramatic and colorful. Along the way we encountered a deer, which had to have swum nearly a mile, making the last bit of its crossing to an island of choice and listened as Loons chatted to each other. Water temps now in high 40s so the few rolls as the sun was going down were "invigorating", but keeping the "head in" and staying accustomed to the lowering temps valuable....I guess.

Ed Lawson

winnie wasn't the only body of water devoid of boat traffic. went outta little harbor at about high (and what a high it was - damn near even with the jetty and breaking over it easily) and out the mouth. big day. no wind. too many rocks thereabouts and headed off towards gerrish....ended up playing over by the pier on the river by the old lookout emplacement...they were breaking and re-forming and a piece of water that is generally mill pond smooth had lovely 4 and 5 footers rolling in and breaking. it was a very nice day. managed a few pirouette's...that was fun. haven't done one of those in awhile.

anyways...came back against the ebb...wasn't too bad and there really wasn't a lick of wind....always nice.

only other boat we saw all day was the CG 47 MLB....wasn't a day for boats that don't roll.

best to your significantly better half (or third...she's a bit of a peanut :) ) what's up with goffstown this year? jed doin' it? he going to go?

had lovely 4 and 5 footers rolling in and breaking.

Not a surfer by any stretch, but big rollers on a calm day are really, really nice for a good day on the water. I bet some of the ledge breaks off Gerrish would have been lit up big time.

only other boat we saw all day was the CG 47 MLB....wasn't a day for boats that don't roll.

Somewhere there is a video from the NW where they are out playing in the surf in a 47 (I think) and deliberately rolling it. Puts things in a whole different context. I bet they were out with you for the sheer fun of it too.

what's up with goffstown this year? jed doin' it? he going to go?

Jed's organizing as we write. Apparently the guitar is second fiddle to paddling now so I expect to see him there.

The peanut has gone crazy for GP rolling after getting a little boat. She is dragging me to and then under the water every chance she gets.

Ed Lawson