2009 Cold Water Clinic is on!

PeterB

The Cold Water Clinic is on for Sunday Nov. 15th , 10:30 AM!

Suzanne Hutchinson and Scott Camlin will be conducting and Liz Neumeier will be hosting this event.

It is now posted on the calendar.

"Share information on how to dress and prepare for cold water paddling. Paddlers can test gear - gaskets and seals and drysuits, wetsuits and drytops, gloves and hoods, etc. - and see how well they hold up under immersion. Experience immersion in cold water and perform basic skills -- self and assisted rescues, towing, etc. -- while wearing cold water gear.

10:30AM start time at Liz's NSPN Clubhouse for the dry part of the workshop, then down to Lane's Cove for the wet part. A PPPO will be at Liz's after.

This event is offered at no charge to NSPN paid members."

Please email: pbradyatneaqdot org for additional info and directions.

The Cold Water Clinic is on for Saturday Nov. 15th , 10:30 AM!

Suzanne Hutchinson and Scott Camlin will be conducting and Liz Neumeier will be hosting this event.

"Share information on how to dress and prepare for cold water paddling. Paddlers can test gear - gaskets and seals and drysuits, wetsuits and drytops, gloves and hoods, etc. - and see how well they hold up under immersion. Experience immersion in cold water and perform basic skills -- self and assisted rescues, towing, etc. -- while wearing cold water gear.

10:30AM start time at Liz's NSPN Clubhouse for the dry part of the workshop, then down to Lane's Cove for the wet part. A PPPO will be at Liz's after.

I will have dry suits for people to try out at this event if participants are interested. Some of the suits have ankle gaskets and some have socks. If you are interested in giving them a try, please bring NON COTTON wicking undergarments and a few choices of footwear depending on what suit you might end up with. When wearing a drysuit with gore-tex socks, you must wear a sock underneath - preferably wool but synthetic will do. This creates a bulkier than normal foot and your normal footwear might not be big enough. Plan accordingly. If you end up with ankle gaskets, your normal footwear will be fine but may be cold so a wool sock under the neoprene footwear is helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Suzanne

PS - for those who are wondering - a PPPO - is a post paddle pig out... this one is done as a pot luck. No need to bring tons as no one likes to bring leftovers home and nothing can be left at Liz's house.

The Cold Water Clinic is on for Saturday Nov. 15th , 10:30 AM!

Peter,

The 15th is a Sunday. Is the clinic on Saturday? or is it on the 15th (Sunday)?

Peter,

The 15th is a Sunday. Is the clinic on Saturday? or is it on the 15th (Sunday)?

Cold water workshop is on SUNDAY, Nov. 15th. My mistake. I have corrected the original post .

Sorry! (the second time in two days I've made a mistake like this: A bad sign.

Thanks for sharing a senior moment with me.)

Here is the plan for the day:

10:30 – 15 min – meet/greet

10:45 – 45 min – physiology/dangers

11:30 – break for 15 min – everyone eat a snack/bathroom

11:45 – 45 min - clothing/gear talk

12:30 – Dress for outdoors

1:00 – 3:30 outside at Lane’s Cove

Please plan to arrive promptly at 10:30. There never seems to be enough time in the day to cover everything and so will need everyone's cooperating to keep on schedule.

Suz

Volunteers are needed - please come for all or just the on water portion at Lane's Cove. Let me know if you will be helping via e-mail or post on message board.

Thanks!

Suz,

If 30 people attend you will have 30 drysuits to try? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of the post workshop paddle.

Rene

I will have dry suits for people to try out at this event if participants are interested. Some of the suits have ankle gaskets and some have socks. If you are interested in giving them a try, please bring NON COTTON wicking undergarments and a few choices of footwear depending on what suit you might end up with. When wearing a drysuit with gore-tex socks, you must wear a sock underneath - preferably wool but synthetic will do. This creates a bulkier than normal foot and your normal footwear might not be big enough. Plan accordingly. If you end up with ankle gaskets, your normal footwear will be fine but may be cold so a wool sock under the neoprene footwear is helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Suzanne

PS - for those who are wondering - a PPPO - is a post paddle pig out... this one is done as a pot luck. No need to bring tons as no one likes to bring leftovers home and nothing can be left at Liz's house.

Suz,

If 30 people attend you will have 30 drysuits to try? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of the post workshop paddle.

Rene

No - I have about 20+ suits. I doubt 30 will attend. Some people like to work with what they already own whether that is wet suits or dry suits. Others just come and watch. Still others borrow my dry suits for the event and give it a try. I don't think I have turned anyone away over the years. Sometimes participants might have to use a size bigger than normal in order to get the most people on the water.

It always seems to work out.

Suz

Suz,

Rene

Rene:

The post workshop paddle is actually the paddle part of the workshop. It's what we do outside after the discussions and demonstrations inside.

We first wade into the water at Lane's Cove, dunking, floating and submerging to test protective clothing and get a feel for the water. Then get into boats and try capsizing, wet exits, rolling, rescues, etc. We work together so you have a spotter when you try the various drills in case you get surprised by the cold (details on what can surprise you at the workshop).

The workshop is designed to be experiential: try it so you know how it feels and how it works. It's all voluntary: you choose which exercise you participate in. The entire paddle portion of the workshop takes place in Lane's Cove, mostly in waist deep water.

In past years, after the formal part of the workshop, some people have poked their noses out of the cove to see the sights. We don't do any drills outside the cove.

Hope this helps.

Scott

I just wanted to get a feel whether I should bring my own drysuit. Looks to me that it would be a good idea in case a drysuit I would not mind trying on is not available.

Rene:

The post workshop paddle is actually the paddle part of the workshop. It's what we do outside after the discussions and demonstrations inside.

We first wade into the water at Lane's Cove, dunking, floating and submerging to test protective clothing and get a feel for the water. Then get into boats and try capsizing, wet exits, rolling, rescues, etc. We work together so you have a spotter when you try the various drills in case you get surprised by the cold (details on what can surprise you at the workshop).

The workshop is designed to be experiential: try it so you know how it feels and how it works. It's all voluntary: you choose which exercise you participate in. The entire paddle portion of the workshop takes place in Lane's Cove, mostly in waist deep water.

In past years, after the formal part of the workshop, some people have poked their noses out of the cove to see the sights. We don't do any drills outside the cove.

Hope this helps.

Scott

I just wanted to get a feel whether I should bring my own drysuit. Looks to me that it would be a good idea in case a drysuit I would not mind trying on is not available.

If you own a drysuit, why wouldn't you want to just use that?

Suz

if one drysuit lasted eternity then... Nevermind

partly because I wanted to get the 'kokatat experience'

If you own a drysuit, why wouldn't you want to just use that?

Suz

• 3 months later...
I will have dry suits for people to try out at this event if participants are interested. Some of the suits have ankle gaskets and some have socks. If you are interested in giving them a try, please bring NON COTTON wicking undergarments and a few choices of footwear depending on what suit you might end up with. When wearing a drysuit with gore-tex socks, you must wear a sock underneath - preferably wool but synthetic will do. This creates a bulkier than normal foot and your normal footwear might not be big enough. Plan accordingly.

I'm new to NSPN, and the new owner of a drysuit with gore-tex socks. I have only used the drysuit once in a pool so far, but I'm very curious, why are socks mandatory?

I'm still new at this, but I have never encountered such advice before. I had planned to wear the drysuit without additional socks, and with scuba booties. With additional socks, I'll probably need larger booties, which may also require a larger kayak! My current size 12 boots are already pretty full sized!

thanks,

Bill

Do your own test. If you can keep warm with thin socks and booties then that's fine. But think of the water temperature when you test your insulation.

I'm new to NSPN, and the new owner of a drysuit with gore-tex socks. I have only used the drysuit once in a pool so far, but I'm very curious, why are socks mandatory?

I'm still new at this, but I have never encountered such advice before. I had planned to wear the drysuit without additional socks, and with scuba booties. With additional socks, I'll probably need larger booties, which may also require a larger kayak! My current size 12 boots are already pretty full sized!

thanks,

Bill

thanks,

Bill

Wearing a drysuit that has gore-tex "socks" barefoot is really gross! All your sweat and stuff, would be touching the gore-tex material and it would get pretty icky! Up to you if you own it though. I don't let my loaners use my drysuits without socks - no bare feet in them. Honestly all you have to do is smell my daughters Ugg's that she wears barefoot to know you don't want to be going barefoot in your drysuit.

And another thing, I wouldn't wear a drysuit in the pool. The pool chemicals are really harsh on drysuits and it is a definite that I won't let mine be used in a pool.

Suz

Wearing a drysuit that has gore-tex "socks" barefoot is really gross! All your sweat and stuff, would be touching the gore-tex material and it would get pretty icky! Up to you if you own it though. I don't let my loaners use my drysuits without socks - no bare feet in them. Honestly all you have to do is smell my daughters Ugg's that she wears barefoot to know you don't want to be going barefoot in your drysuit.

And another thing, I wouldn't wear a drysuit in the pool. The pool chemicals are really harsh on drysuits and it is a definite that I won't let mine be used in a pool.

Suz

Thanks.