Beach landing protocol

Gcosloy

When arriving on a sandy or rocky beach with moderate breaking surf I pop my sprayskirt float up as high as I can on the beach and attempt to jump out and drag my boat further up the tide line. What has happened to me more than once now is that I get one foot out and as I'm raising my weight out of the cockpit another breaker takes the boat from behind causes it to broach, the cockpit fills with water and gets driven up the beach sideways while I get deposited into the wave's undertow. What am I doing wrong? Should I leave the skirt on and stay in the boat and brace into the next incoming wave and then pop and jump out? I'm inclined to follow my own advice except I see so many others popping their spray skirts in the same situation without the same mishap.

When arriving on a sandy or rocky beach with moderate breaking surf I pop my sprayskirt float up as high as I can on the beach and attempt to jump out and drag my boat further up the tide line. What has happened to me more than once now is that I get one foot out and as I'm raising my weight out of the cockpit another breaker takes the boat from behind causes it to broach, the cockpit fills with water and gets driven up the beach sideways while I get deposited into the wave's undertow. What am I doing wrong? Should I leave the skirt on and stay in the boat and brace into the next incoming wave and then pop and jump out? I'm inclined to follow my own advice except I see so many others popping their spray skirts in the same situation without the same mishap.

I'm pretty consistent in using my paddle as an offset rear-cockpit perpendicular brace, trying to push the outer blade into the ground as I plant my left leg sturdily, taking a breath to lift as straight up as possible and then get the right leg out and planted before that next breaker.

When it's clear that I'm being pushed (or sucked out) before I can get this second leg out it's not difficult to just plop back in, letting the 'yak broach or pulled out to set up another approach. In several years I've only fallen once using this somewhat tedious method, which I adopted primarily for exiting onto docks and so as to protect my back if dumping by having a shorter time interval where my center of gravity is very high when NOT on both feet.

Nice paddle yesterday, and sorry about your dump. I hope to repeat Thursday.

Ern

When I land through surf after getting my timing sorted with any sets coming through, I hit the beach straight on and wait in my kayak for the next wave to arrive. As it does I push myself further up the beach using my left fist to lift and my right pushing with the paddle. I find this gets me far enough up the sand to then allow a safe exit before moving the kayak away from the wet stuff.

In small dumping surf I may release the spray skirt get my legs out then as you land you can instantly stand up and drag the boat to safety.

Thanks to all who replied. I think the crux of my problem is dealing with the second wave after I hit the beach. The first one has never been a problem. It's either timing or removing my body weight from the hull at the worst possible time. I'm not adventuresome enough to try Bob's method. I don't have an ocean cockpit so Tyson's method is somewhat academic. Ernie's method would probably work for me and so would Evan's. I'm going to try both and evaluate.

Thanks to all who replied. I think the crux of my problem is dealing with the second wave after I hit the beach. The first one has never been a problem. It's either timing or removing my body weight from the hull at the worst possible time. I'm not adventuresome enough to try Bob's method. I don't have an ocean cockpit so Tyson's method is somewhat academic. Ernie's method would probably work for me and so would Evan's. I'm going to try both and evaluate.

Gene,

Glad you posted this since I have the same problem, mostly because there is a lot of me to get out of the kayak quickly. I vote for Evan's method which seems like a revelation....simply reverse the process of the beach launch! Looking forward to giving it a try.

Bob

On occasion I back into the beach, stern lands 1st ...keeping the bow heading into the waves.

I have no idea how practical it is, but sometimes it's just easier to plan your timing when you can see whats coming.

Have never tried it in heavy surf..but it worked ok today for some little stuff.

I don't know if this works any better. I like to come in sideways, as it gives me a chance to work on my low braces. I let the successive waves push me up higher on the beach until I've reached a point where they aren't moving me anymore. Then I tilt the hull away from the breakers and pop out. That usually minimizes the water in the cockpit.

If the waves are breaking high, I'll beach crawl on the way out.

As Mark Schoon is fond of saying "it's only gel coat".