working temperature range for contact cement

Phil Allen

As I have no garage and have some boat outfitting to be done, can someone tell me the useful temp range for working with contact cement (minicell foam to fiberglass)?

Thnx.

Phil

Phil-The contact cement I use wants 55 F. Wait till Tuesday or Wednesday.

I just spent a few days outfitting two kayaks in my basement. It was cold. So I used a cheap portable construction lamp with a heating lightbulb. I left it safely shining on the work and that brought up the temperature to 60 degrees.

Phil-The contact cement I use wants 55 F. Wait till Tuesday or Wednesday.

As I have no garage and have some boat outfitting to be done, can someone tell me the useful temp range for working with contact cement (minicell foam to fiberglass)?

Thnx.

Phil

Just use a hair dryer to get up to working temp. Works well to speed up epoxy cures midwinter too.

Ern

I'll put in a vote for being super cautious with contact cement . Some of it is highly combustible so if tempted to bring it in the house basement I would turn of the furnace or furnace pilot light. If Upstairs I would turn off the pilot light in the stove if it has one.

....same with any elec element that glows red hot ...

There is also low odor contact cement but I don't know which is the most prefered for what you want to do.

seems you are thinking outdoors any way..

I'll put in a vote for being super cautious with contact cement . Some of it is highly combustible so if tempted to bring it in the house basement I would turn of the furnace or furnace pilot light. If Upstairs I would turn off the pilot light in the stove if it has one.

There is also low odor contact cement but I don't know which is the most prefered for what you want to do.

seems you are thinking outdoors any way..

Phil,

I've generally used 60-65 degrees of as a lower limit for boat repairs involving adhesives.But more important than tem;perature is working with really dry, clean surfaces.

The best method of bonding with contact cement; apply one thin layer, wait 10 minutes, apply a second thin layer, wait ten minutes, apply a third layer, wait ten minutes or until tacky, then stick materials together.

Unless you're in a very small space with no ventilation and you're using a lot of cement, that's seems excessive.

I've tried it; it's junk and won't hold worth a damn.

might be a bit much, but most our basements are not well ventilated and half the time working beside the furnace it's usually where fumes linger..same goes for stains and some of the primers stain killers things like that. Have to be really mindful of the ventailation I usually just turn off the heat while using any of that stuff down the basement.