Don't know if anyone here is interested in, or has heard of, Maelstrom kayaks, but Boreal Designs is now manufacturing them. I saw them at Lincoln Canoe and Kayak in Maine this weekend and they looked pretty darn sweet. Nice layup, skeg, 4 hatches (like the Cetus), they have a shallow V hull (like, Explorer, Aquanaut, etc...) but seemed to have a more rocker.

Just figured I'd point out another "brit boat" option.

4 hatches (like the Cetus),

I believe it is fair to say Lincoln was the first kayak producer to have the "fourth" hatch just ahead of cockpit. Anyway, trivia aside, from the photos it looks as if they have a foam block for a back rest. Is that correct? Love the look of that low back deck. Appears to have much the same hull shape as the TideRace boats which might make them nice/fun boats indeed as volume looks good for day/weekend journeys. Are they stocking them and demoing these up in Freeport?

Thanks for the info.

Ed Lawson

They have both Maelstrom models in Freeport and they're both demo boats. Yes they have foam seats and foam backrests.

Lincoln is under new ownership and I believe they are now the importer of Boreal kayaks. They'll have Lincoln and Boreal at the Freeport shop, all the other brands (at least for now) will be going away. That's what I was told.

They have both Maelstrom models in Freeport and they're both demo boats. Yes they have foam seats and foam backrests.

Lincoln is under new ownership and I believe they are now the importer of Boreal kayaks. They'll have Lincoln and Boreal at the Freeport shop, all the other brands (at least for now) will be going away. That's what I was told.

Hey Mike,

I can verify they are under new ownership and bringing in Boreal now.

one of the demos is a nice black and the back deck is nice and low. They also have a few interesting boreal paddles and nicely designed women's dry top in medium.

Nice store.

FYI

For information on the Freeport ME store:

http://www.paddlinginstructor.com/press-re...realdesign.html

Doug

Nice to see the Boreal Design in Maine. We are big enthusiasts of them. Purchased a beautiful kevlar Beluga tandem last year. Excellent workmanship, built for expeditions, it holds a ton of gear an rides rough water nicely... empty or loaded.

(...a bit of a triva question... anyone know if the older Ellesmere with the rope skegs, has the same size cockpit opening as the new ones? I need a spray skirt and want to make sure if they are the same size.)

Nice to see the Boreal Design in Maine. We are big enthusiasts of them. Purchased a beautiful kevlar Beluga tandem last year. Excellent workmanship, built for expeditions, it holds a ton of gear an rides rough water nicely... empty or loaded.

(...a bit of a triva question... anyone know if the older Ellesmere with the rope skegs, has the same size cockpit opening as the new ones? I need a spray skirt and want to make sure if they are the same size.)

The current Ellesmere comes in two varieties: ocean cockpit and keyhole cockpit. I think the only change has been the new skeg control.

Don't know if anyone here is interested in, or has heard of, Maelstrom kayaks, but Boreal Designs is now manufacturing them. I saw them at Lincoln Canoe and Kayak in Maine this weekend and they looked pretty darn sweet. Nice layup, skeg, 4 hatches (like the Cetus), they have a shallow V hull (like, Explorer, Aquanaut, etc...) but seemed to have a more rocker.

Just figured I'd point out another "brit boat" option.

Hello All! We are the US distributors for Boreal Designs as well as Maelstrom Kayaks and yes Boreal did pick up the manufacturing for Maelstrom. We have both the Vital 166 and the Vaag 174 demo boats available to paddle. They will be here during our Columbus Day Weekend Boat Swap and Sale. Come check them out!