Paddling in Gloucester, MA

chicazulma

Hi All - I am a (sometime) Member of RICKA in Rhode Island so thought this would be a good place to start...looking for a nice easy paddle the weekend of 10/10 in or near Gloucester, MA - can you folks recommend a good place? I have a great website I was referencing (http://www.8tb.org/kayak.htm)

but would rather meet up with some people to go if we can. My friend is a new beginner, I am experienced beginner. Thanks for any tips!! JoAnne Main

My friend is a new beginner, I am experienced beginner.

Welcome, Joanne!

Would you say that you are a Level 2 paddler, and your friend a Level 1?

Which kayaks do you have?

Most of our organized trips are Level 2 to Level 3 1/2, involving full seakayaks and some exposure to chop, current and open crossings.

However you may find some fine paddling in more protected waters;

perhaps searching our list of put-ins would help.

Cheers.

Ern

My friend is a new beginner, I am experienced beginner.

Welcome, Joanne!

Would you say that you are a Level 2 paddler, and your friend a Level 1?

Which kayaks do you have?

Most of our organized trips are Level 2 to Level 3 1/2, involving full seakayaks and some exposure to chop, current and open crossings.

However you may find some fine paddling in more protected waters;

perhaps searching our list of put-ins would help.

Cheers.

Ern

Thanks Ern! I just checked and would agree...I am level 2 she is level 1. Nice list of put ins, thats definitely helpful. I don't think mine is a sea kayak - its a coleman ram X TREK10.

Thanks Ern! I just checked and would agree...I am level 2 she is level 1. Nice list of put ins, thats definitely helpful. I don't think mine is a sea kayak - its a coleman ram X TREK10.

Not exactly Gloucester but a nice mellow paddle and a group of people who would welcome you.

http://www.meetup.com/NESeacoastPaddlers/calendar/11164674/

You might also want to paddle on the Annisquam River and explore the marshes. 3 possible launch sites:

Dunfudgin' landing, behind the Gloucester High School Plenty of parking. Good at all tide levels. Sheltered water. Do NOT go left and through the "cut bridge" into the harbor, the currents at most tide levels would be too strong. If you go right, you have to pass under the railroad bridge which also might be challenging.

Corliss Landing (actually on Apple St., not Corliss) - muddy at low tide, you will have to cross the boat channel to get to the marshes but at this time of year the traffic is not a problem.

Probably the best idea for a beginner is this: Long Wharf Town Landing – Take route 128 to Exit 13, Concord Street. At end of ramp, left on Concord for 0.8 mile. Turn right onto Atlantic Street (signed for Wingaersheek Beach) and drive 0.8 mile to the Long Wharf Town Landing on the right – free parking at the landing. You launch directly into the most sheltered section of the marshes. Very pretty and protected.

Gloucester harbor itself can get surprisingly choppy, depending on wind direction and boat traffic.

Liz

Wonderful! I'm so glad I thought to post here. You've all been very helpful (and a great website too)

Liz - it seems we may be best served with the town landing suggestion

Sal - Thanks for the link to the meetup too, that looks right up my alley but not sure my friend will want a 5 hour round trip. Only one way to find out tho!

I will be sure to update you once we go, to let you know what we decided to try!

Thanks again! JoAnne