Northern Forest Canoe Trail

spider

Thought there might be others who have been up there so figured I would ask...

Heading up for a week paddling the NFCT. Anyone know of an outfitter or guide that might offer a shuttle service from Chesuncook (Golden Road north of Moosehead) or thereabouts. Planing on doing the West Branch of the Penobscot and scout around the north end of Chesuncook Lake,etc ... some of which I paddled last season but don't want to get locked into having to do a loop trip this year.

thanks

Thought there might be others who have been up there so figured I would ask...

Heading up for a week paddling the NFCT. Anyone know of an outfitter or guide that might offer a shuttle service from Chesuncook (Golden Road north of Moosehead) or thereabouts. Planing on doing the West Branch of the Penobscot and scout around the north end of Chesuncook Lake,etc ... some of which I paddled last season but don't want to get locked into having to do a loop trip this year.

thanks

\

Spider,

Jeremy Hargraves runs Northeast guide service in Greenville ME. I don't know if he offers shuttle service but he may be able to hook you up with someone who does. You can reach him at (207) 787-4437

Good luck.....and have fun.

The Northern Forest Canoe Trail (the organization) has an informative trip planner on their website. http://northernforestcanoetrail.org/PlanaTrip-18

Under the "Plan a Trip" tab, go to the Map Tool, pick your section of the Trail (e.g. Section 11) and under the Control Panel drop down menu, select Shuttles. There are 6 shuttles identified on that section of the Trail. Or try the Services Along the Trail link under Plan a Trip, and get similar infomation in a list format.

Very well-implemented and easy to use.

While you're at it, consider joining the NFCT. They are hard-working folks who produce high-quality maps, negotiate access and camping spots and organize the Trail stewardship work. They deserve your membership dollars.

Scott

opps...ummm.. I've been a member for several years now...just not that handy with computers I guess.

Sometimes it's just easier for me to ask people.

Heading up Oct 6th...here's hoping for good weather!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the trip up there the other day. (used a local shutte not listed in NFCT)...for the 7 days we (I paddled with a fellow from the eastern townships) came across in our days paddling about

8 moose

2 bald eagles

mink

great blue heron

kingfishers

swiss (one pesky chimpunk)

Great Horned Owl

many a Loon

2 Buffalo..(Chesuncook Village)

counting the shuttle and back roads

add

3 black bear

and one more moose

one of the nicest parts of the trip was listening to the moose making their "love calls"

....of course you can practice imitating them...but be sure to know the dates of the hunting season or you may attract one very disappointed hunter when he finds out it is you he is conversing with..or vice versa for that matter...