Rolling in Maine waters

brambor

A few days ago I joined NSPN. I have received a lot of good advice and I get good vibes from the whole group here. Thank You.

I have checked out the calendar of events and I think that the opportunity to paddle midweek and get some instruction is great. The only issue is that if I were to drive from Maine I would most likely arrive at the end of the sessions. I understand why there are no events on weekends - because we all want to take 'real' paddling trips.

One of the desires I have is to learn how to roll. I have put my self on a waiting list with one of the local outfitters but I don't think anything will take place for a few months.

I think I'm between level 2 and 3. I can do a self rescue.

So here is a shout to anyone in the Maine waters (Brom Brunswick to Kennebunk) who wants to do a short paddle during the week and perhaps help me to learn how to roll in between things.

A few days ago I joined NSPN. I have received a lot of good advice and I get good vibes from the whole group here. Thank You.

I have checked out the calendar of events and I think that the opportunity to paddle midweek and get some instruction is great. The only issue is that if I were to drive from Maine I would most likely arrive at the end of the sessions. I understand why there are no events on weekends - because we all want to take 'real' paddling trips.

One of the desires I have is to learn how to roll. I have put my self on a waiting list with one of the local outfitters but I don't think anything will take place for a few months.

I think I'm between level 2 and 3. I can do a self rescue.

So here is a shout to anyone in the Maine waters (Brom Brunswick to Kennebunk) who wants to do a short paddle during the week and perhaps help me to learn how to roll in between things.

If you come down for one of the "real" paddling trips on the weekends you described, you may find someone willing to spend an extra half hour with you working on your roll. You probably don't want to spend more than a half hour at a time learning a roll anyway because you should stop before you get tired and sloppy.

I'm on their waiting list and Theresa is a great person to deal with. :D

You may want to contact Coastal Maine Kayak. Maybe there are others who might like to join in on a small rolling class as well.

http://coastalmainekayak.com/information.p...o_id=12#rolling

Neil

I am sending you some info via private message which may prove helpful. Specifically someone in Maine who enjoys teaching others to roll and happy to do so during the week.

Ed Lawson

I'm on their waiting list and Theresa is a great person to deal with. :D

Yes I agree Theresa is a wonderful person to work with and she has great instructors working with her as well. I'm happy to send business their way.

Neil

I am sending you some info via private message which may prove helpful. Specifically someone in Maine who enjoys teaching others to roll and happy to do so during the week.

Ed Lawson

Ok, no secrets here. Mark & Mel are great people & coaches. They can be reached here www.carpediemkayaking.com

Ok, no secrets here.

Just to clarify, I was providing the name of an individual who lives close to them and would be willing to go paddling and teach rolling on a non-commercial basis. There are many fine coaches in Maine and Mark and Mel are right up at the top in my opinion as are John Carmody and Tom Bergh and there are others who are not as well known among NSPN folk.

I was suggesting another route to learn this basic stroke and more along the lines of the midweek skills sessions available to those on the North Shore and Seacoast NH and a private message seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

Nothing against professional coaching at all.

If looking for professional training at any level, then going up to Mark and Mel's Downeast Symposium would be among the best in my opinion. Great place, great classes, great time.

Ed Lawson

Seconding Ed's note of the Downeast Symposium ( September 11-14, MDI) as a great opportunity for the highest level training and intersection with some of the best paddlers (both as human beings and skilled with boats).

Individually, it would be hard to find better than John Carmody (Sea Cliff Kayakers, Boothbay) or Tom Bergh (MIKCo, Peaks Island).

Maine waters are now at their warmest of the season - a very good time to learn to roll :)

ed

that is exactly what i was looking for right now. I am already on a waiting list for those pool sessions in the fall...hopefully...so actual instruction and a chance to paddle with someone was the idea. I called him around 4.30 but his line was busy. Will try tomorrow again.

Just to clarify, I was providing the name of an individual who lives close to them and would be willing to go paddling and teach rolling on a non-commercial basis. There are many fine coaches in Maine and Mark and Mel are right up at the top in my opinion as are John Carmody and Tom Bergh and there are others who are not as well known among NSPN folk.

I was suggesting another route to learn this basic stroke and more along the lines of the midweek skills sessions available to those on the North Shore and Seacoast NH and a private message seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

Nothing against professional coaching at all.

If looking for professional training at any level, then going up to Mark and Mel's Downeast Symposium would be among the best in my opinion. Great place, great classes, great time.

Ed Lawson