sing when paddling in "conditions" ??

spider

Last year when paddling in the Mingans, the weather was fine and all was well. My wife sang a song or two and the guide gave her a compliment or two.

Several days later when making a rough crossing I asked her to sing some "peppy" songs to keep us going and set the rhythm. Nearing our goal things were still rough but the songs were fading..

It was a bit of a surprise when the guide asked to her, we are almost there maybe about 2 songs away, would you have another one or two for us to join?

Thought it was cute and nice of him to ask...then recently when reading some history of the Penobscot people (Penobscot Man, by Speck) who were quite accomplished paddlers, it mentioned in particular how they would sing to the water when the going got rough or conditions got wild.

It was sung to calm the waters...but now it occurs to me the effect was probably as much to calm themselves as it was for us.

Today I sit in the Isles de Madeline, we paddled some pretty crazy water yesterday, we wanted to expore some caves etc but had to stay away from the cliffs for prudence , still the water and currents were plenty "bouncy" and along come the songs.

Other folks find them selves doing the same?... It must tie in some how with sailors singing "salty songs" in days gone by....

Last year when paddling in the Mingans, the weather was fine and all was well. My wife sang a song or two and the guide gave her a compliment or two.

Several days later when making a rough crossing I asked her to sing some "peppy" songs to keep us going and set the rhythm. Nearing our goal things were still rough but the songs were fading..

It was a bit of a surprise when the guide asked to her, we are almost there maybe about 2 songs away, would you have another one or two for us to join?

Thought it was cute and nice of him to ask...then recently when reading some history of the Penobscot people (Penobscot Man, by Speck) who were quite accomplished paddlers, it mentioned in particular how they would sing to the water when the going got rough or conditions got wild.

It was sung to calm the waters...but now it occurs to me the effect was probably as much to calm themselves as it was for us.

Today I sit in the Isles de Madeline, we paddled some pretty crazy water yesterday, we wanted to expore some caves etc but had to stay away from the cliffs for prudence , still the water and currents were plenty "bouncy" and along come the songs.

Other folks find them selves doing the same?... It must tie in some how with sailors singing "salty songs" in days gone by....

Spider,

I think you're absolutely right about the singing....in fact when paddling with John Carmody this past June He mentioned having a ditty to sing when the going gets rough. The song he sings...."Longer boats are coming to win us" :D

Spider,

I think you're absolutely right about the singing....in fact when paddling with John Carmody this past June He mentioned having a ditty to sing when the going gets rough. The song he sings...."Longer boats are coming to win us" :D

I've paddled with John a good bit, but never in severe enough conditions to hear him sing. :o

I do sing to myself when the going gets rough enough for me to start loosing my equanimity.

I've paddled with John a good bit, but never in severe enough conditions to hear him sing. :o

I do sing to myself when the going gets rough enough for me to start loosing my equanimity.

The conditions we were in weren't severe enough for John to start singing. He was mentioning it as a suggestion to the rest of us. I expect that by the time John felt the need to break into song I'd be too paralyzed with fear to even squeak out a couple of notes. :o :o

I don't know why, but I always sing Dixie Chicken by Little Feat. It's my favorite "conditions" song. Speaking of that - I was just out in Nantucket Sound. The swell from the hurricane seems to have snuck in through the gap between Monomoy and Nantucket. It definitely feels weird - kinda spooky.

Dixie Chicken

Ive seen the bright lights of Memphis

And the Commodore Hotel

And underneath a street lamp, i met a southern belle

Oh she took me to the river, where she cast her spell

And in that southern moonlight, she sang this song so well

If youll be my Dixie chicken ill be your Tenessee lamb

And we can walk together down in Dixieland

Down in Dixieland

We made all the hotspots, my money flowed like wine

Then the low-down southern whiskey, yea, began to fog my mind

And i dont remember church bells, or the money i put down

On the white picket fence and boardwalk

On the house at the end of town

Oh but boy do i remember the strain of her refrain

And the nights we spent together

And the way she called my name

Down in Dixieland

Many years since she ran away

Yes that guitar player sure could play

She always liked to sing along

She always handy with a song

But then one night at the lobby of the Commodore Hotel

I chanced to meet a bartender who said he knew her well

And as he handed me a drink he began to hum a song

And all the boys there, at the bar, began to sing along

Down in Dixieland, Down in Dixieland

I often sing when the going is rough, especially if I'm paddling alone. It feels like I have company, and it gives me a focus other than my difficulties. No favorite itinerary, just whatever comes up, maybe make up a song.

Lovely that your wife did this for the whole group! (I doubt they'd ask me to sing again...)

I'm very interested to hear about the Isles de Madeline. Mark and I had seriously considered this as our summer destination this year but ended up in Maine instead. The Isles seemed to me to be a very windy choice - are you finding it to be so?

Kate

I'm very interested to hear about the Isles de Madeline. Mark and I had seriously considered this as our summer destination this year but ended up in Maine instead. The Isles seemed to me to be a very windy choice - are you finding it to be so?

Kate

It's true..quite windy up here, but the shape of the islands let you search out an area that gives you paddling for the day or afternoon depending on forecast etc.

this is our 3rd visit...we know we see many optimistic folks with kayaks on top that will not touch the water but once while they are here. Huge help this year to make a friend on the ferry who can join us and spot cars. Also big help that he can converse in far more detail than just our general french when talking to a local fisherman who is offering advice about unseen currents that would affect us. After all folks always wish you a 'bon ride" avec the kayak.

highest rate of speed yesterday 13.5 km...not bad for flat water though beaucoup "mutton de mer" (white caps).

Lots of fun..though no songs sung that day

one favorite song..."You Can't Stop the Beat"... or the motion of the ocean or sun in the sky...

Singing songs? A great way to break the boredom of a long crossing or to calm your nerves in conditions. Just no singing while in surf. I learned to hard way as I was just staring my "warrior breaks through the high surf" chant. My operatic crescendo was rudely and quite abruptly stifled but a mouthful of salty water as the wave broke over my boat and into my open mouth. The golden rule... finish the verse before the wave breaks.

Ross

I am embarrassed to tell you my song--but most of you know me by now--so I am sure this does not come as a surprise--but my song is the OLD Arlo Guthrie song from Alice's Restaurant--

I don't want a pickle--just wanna ride my motorcicle--

And I don't wanna die -- just wanna ride my mo-tor-cycle

This ditty came in handy paddling in the fog Downeast -- or paddling the currents in Kennebec.

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

I am embarrassed to tell you my song--but most of you know me by now--so I am sure this does not come as a surprise--but my song is the OLD Arlo Guthrie song from Alice's Restaurant--

I don't want a pickle--just wanna ride my motorcicle--

And I don't wanna die -- just wanna ride my mo-tor-cycle

This ditty came in handy paddling in the fog Downeast -- or paddling the currents in Kennebec.

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

Les,

That's Too funny! I LOVE that song.

Les,

That's Too funny! I LOVE that song.

I don't know why, but while paddling I often find myself singing "The Big Rock Candy Mountain" :

"in the Big Rock Candy Mountain

you never change your socks

and the little stream of alcohol '

comes trickling down the rocks;

where the farmers trees are full of fruit

and the barns are full of hay

Theres a lake of stew

and whiskey too

you can paddle all around it in big canoe

in the Big Rock Candy Mountain."

Don't listen to Les: while paddling in fog, most of the language I heard from her could only come from someone who's been in the army, or Catholic School .

Hey folks how about we all compose an "NSPN Fight Song". You know like the ones you hear at Saturday college football games on TV? Just imagine a flotilla of NSPNer's paddling in the fog.... "Hoora! hoora! Onward women and men, make way for us we're NSPN, ooooooh yah :cheer: " Or something like that...

Ross

Hey folks how about we all compose an "NSPN Fight Song". You know like the ones you hear at Saturday college football games on TV? Just imagine a flotilla of NSPNer's paddling in the fog.... "Hoora! hoora! Onward women and men, make way for us we're NSPN, ooooooh yah :cheer: " Or something like that...

Ross

If you heard my singing you'd all want to try a roll and not bother to come back up. Much quieter on the other side.

BARRETT'S PRIVATEERS

by Stan Rogers

Oh, the year was 1778, HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW!

A letter of marque come from the king,

To the scummiest vessel I'd ever seen,

CHORUS:

God damn them all!

I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold

We'd fire no guns-shed no tears

Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier

The last of Barrett's Privateers.

Oh, Elcid Barrett cried the town, HOW I WISH I WAS . . .

For twenty brave men all fishermen who

would make for him the Antelope's crew

(chorus)

The Antelope sloop was a sickening sight,

She'd a list to the port and and her sails in rags

And the cook in scuppers with the staggers and the jags

(chorus)

On the King's birthday we put to sea,

We were 91 days to Montego Bay

Pumping like madmen all the way

(chorus)

On the 96th day we sailed again,

When a bloody great Yankee hove in sight

With our cracked four pounders we made to fight

(chorus)

The Yankee lay low down with gold,

She was broad and fat and loose in the stays

But to catch her took the Antelope two whole days

(chorus)

Then at length we stood two cables away,

Our cracked four pounders made an awful din

But with one fat ball the Yank stove us in

(chorus)

The Antelope shook and pitched on her side,

Barrett was smashed like a bowl of eggs

And the Maintruck carried off both me legs

(chorus)

So here I lay in my 23rd year,

It's been 6 years since we sailed away

And I just made Halifax yesterday

(chorus)

I sometimes sing when in conditions - it quiets my mind. The song that frequently pops up first with out even planning is The Beatles "Yellow Submarine" the tempo is just about right.... It comes to me when I need it - either skiing or paddling.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I paddle a yellow Montauk, and singing helps me as well in rougher conditions, my song is "Yellow Submarine." It makes me laugh everytime!

This is actually Lorrie, logged in as Phil! Sorry dear, not sure what your song actually is!