Camera "lens" water repellent

tyson

The cover/window over the lens of my Optio camera was no longer shedding water like it did when it was new. I expect that I "cleaned" it too much and wore off the water repellent that the manufacturer had applied.

I tried using some Rain-X on it. It seems to work well for fresh water, but not so well for salt water. The pictures from Woods Hole that I hope to post shortly had a lot of blurs and distortions from water.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I may try carrying a patch of cotton for wiping the lens cover since the quick dry stuff doesn't work but I would be happier if I could restore the original water shedding performance.

Thanks!

Ty

The cover/window over the lens of my Optio camera was no longer shedding water like it did when it was new. I expect that I "cleaned" it too much and wore off the water repellent that the manufacturer had applied.

I tried using some Rain-X on it. It seems to work well for fresh water, but not so well for salt water. The pictures from Woods Hole that I hope to post shortly had a lot of blurs and distortions from water.

I may try carrying a patch of cotton for wiping the lens cover since the quick dry stuff doesn't work but I would be happier if I could restore the original water shedding performance.

Thanks!

Ty

Have you tried Pentax?

Cotton is a no-no to use for cleaning lens glass. It is best to use a microfiber cloth. You might have 'cleaned' the UV protective clothing right off.

Thanks!

Ty

The lens actually has a glass protector in front of it and that may have something on it like salt or oil film. Below is a recommendation from Pentax's Web Site on caring for your waterproof camera.

Penatx Support caring for your waterproof camera

You may need to really clean the glass and insure it is absolutely dirt and oil free. Not sure if Rain X is the best way to go as it leaves a wax like coating and will cause water to bead instead of run off the glass. Also I'm not sure Rain X would work well with salt water. Try a good quality lens cleaner to get the glass back to it's clean state. Rinse it with fresh water when you get the protective glass wet while out kayaking. A little squirt bottle with distilled water or a squirt from your hydration pack at the very least might be all you need to keep salt from drying on the glass.

Neil

Hi Ty,

Auto pros use a slurry of cesium powder with a power drill to polish scratches out of glass. A less aggressive product: http://www.janvil.com/glass_scratch.htm?gc...CFQtN5Qodmw3AjA

Interestingly For-Eyes just told me to use ONLY cotton to polish my new eyeglass lenses, but microfiber is of course ok too.

Ellen and I visited a tiny crystal-cutting factory in Ireland last week where we were told that finished pieces undergo hours of washing in fluoric acid to provide spectacular polish and reflection. Unfortunately fluoric acid (used commonly to etch glass) is quite toxic.

A milder acid, such as dilute phosphoric, is an excellent glass wash. Best cheapest source is a Diet Coke or Pepsi (no sugar)!

Ern

a professional photographer trick is treatment of furniture wax on the lens.....water drops right off.....

does the optio have a sliding lens cover??

a professional photographer trick is treatment of furniture wax on the lens.....water drops right off.....

does the optio have a sliding lens cover??

Another product you might consider Ty is "cat crap" it's a cleaner/antifog treatment for sunglasses and goggles. It works pretty well in that function ...might work on the lens as well.