CASCO BAY II "Orr's Island, ME 8/8/09 SMSKN / NSPN trip

Doug

Open below to view pics of the SMSKN Casco Bay trip from Saturday 8/8.

Trip total 17 miles.

A group of 14 of us ventured off to explore the waters from Orr's Island, (located at the H2O Outfitters location) through Willis Gut. Then we paddled by Cedar Ledges to the translucent waters of Yarmouth Island up Quahog Bay to Snow Island. On Snow Island we were treated to ..... well check out the pics to see for yourself.

Doug

http://pixel8er.smugmug.com/gallery/921063...614977187_dJCrM

Thanks Ed for the invite and Fred for adding additional flare to the trip.

Thanks to the magical Bag Pipe player standing on the grassy knoll behind his house on Long Point Island. On our return paddle, the seas kicked up near Yarmouth Ledges. In the distance a faint drone could be detected as if beckoning the winds and the sea to be called up. For a solid mile or two the sea came alive. We were treated to his haunting wind-song as we paddled by him in an assisted rhythmic cadence. It was truly a surreal experience.....

This was a great paddle on a perfect day. I think after all of the bad weather we've been dealt this year, we all felt a little like kids in a candy store to have had such a day as Doug's great photos attest to. Watching Tyson and Emilie roll their tandem was an event worthy of a tip of the hat. Fred Randall of Maine with his skin on frame and tunic is always great to paddle with for he has a wealth of knowledge on the history of paddling and various lineage of different boat hulls. Having built something like 25 hulls over the years he has refined craftsmanship and its' application to the sport of paddling. We covered a little over 15 miles and the muscles didn't get the day off for the return run into the wind and waves. Will admit I was a tad tired by the time I loaded the boat back onto the truck for the ride home. Scott

Ed, (and others) thanks for the trip! We had a great time!

Doug and Barb, thanks for giving us an introduction to Greenland paddles. I expected them to perform better than the stick that they look like but didn't expect the level of performance that seems possible. ...now I have a new skill to learn.

Fred and Barb, thanks for the impromptu lessons balance brace and hand roll lessons. It was a great experience to try out the Greenland boat and now I may have a better chance of balance bracing some of the boats I've failed in in the past.

All of the above is exactly why Emilie and I had been looking for a group to go on paddling trips with. We took a good number of photos. However, a lot of them needed to be rotated upright and cropped plus we've been quite busy. I hope to have them up before the end of the day. Most of the work has been done. In the mean time, here are a few bits:

GPS track

Emilie's first hand roll

My first hand roll

It is OK to be annoyed that Emilie succeeded on her 2nd try where it took me nearly half a dozen attempts? ;)

Cheers!

Ty :kayak::smiley_cheers:

thanks for the trip! We had a great time!

I am glad to hear you and others had a good time. It was a varied paddle with a interesting mix of paddlers which all went together well. I just provided an opportunity, its the paddlers that create the paddle.

...now I have a new skill to learn.

Fred and Barb, thanks for the impromptu lessons balance brace and hand roll lessons.

Good teachers both and Fred said he had a wonderful time helping you. It was impressive to watch you and Emille get in what must have seemed a very strange boat and quickly adapt/achieve. Just getting into a balance brace and relaxing on the water (especially some textured water) does wonders for developing a sense of ease/security on the water

They could show you a few things about using a GP for paddling as well as for rolling...oh...wait a minute...I forgot...you don't need no stinkin' paddle to roll. <g>

Ed Lawson

In case anyone is interested or curious, the black SOF Tyson and Emilie were playing in and paddled by Fred is an exact copy of the famous SOF brought back to the UK by Ken Taylor from Greenland about 50 years ago. It is considered the forefather of many British sea kayaks, especially the Anas Acuta.

Ed Lawson