Misery Loves Company

bethany

Misery Island is owned by the Trustees of Reservations, and it needs some help.

The island has a storied past including summer resorts, golf, smallpox victims, regattas, attempts to store oil, sewage, and more. Residents of the North Shore bought the land and donated it to the Trustees to protect it from development and industrial use. Today, many of us find it a perfect paddling destination or stop from Gloucester, Manchester, Beverly and Salem. NSPN has regular planned trips, show and go trips, and retreats there. As leisure users such as ourselves have taken the island for granted, and environmental situations have changed, the island rangers now have to battle trash, invasive plant species that are pushing out the natural ecosystem, and more.

Nicky and Jim, this season's excellent island rangers, are willing to teach a group of NSPN paddlers about the island: it's history, flora/fauna, and current issues. The idea is that we'll have a nice paddle there,(could be from multiple launch sites to encourage multiple levels of paddlers), they'll talk to us some about the island, we'll help pull out a bunch of invasive plants for the afternoon (snipping and sawing work, tools provided), and possibly help out clearning out minor rubble from the Bleak House if the masonry work there is finished. In return, Joe Christian, the Superintendent of the Cape Ann Trusteess sites, has agreed to give us some free passes for next season. (There is normally a fee for non-trustees members for landing on the island so the trustees can afford to maintain it.)

I think it could be a fun way to get together as a group and give back to our community while learning about a place we love and a nice end-of-summer activity. I have other such days in the works for other sites with other environmental organizations, so I'm hoping this first one will have a decent turn out.

Please let me know if you are interested in this day of helping out at Misery. I'm thinking of making this the last weekend in September. Also any official trip leaders who can join and get this on the calendar, that would be great. It may be possible to arrange for one of the rangers to pick up non-paddling spouses/friends who wish to help in Manchester in a launch.

EDIT: THIS TRIP WILL TAKE PLACE SEPTEMBER 25 (Saturday), Leaving at 10AM from the public launch behind the police station in Manchester-by-the-Sea. Come early enough to get parking and to prepare.

Bring your lunch, lots of water, a change of clothes (long pants to avoid poison ivy and solid shoes), fav. work gloves, etc.! (there is a bathroom there you can easily change in)

We'll paddle over to Misery Island, where Jim will meet us, take us on a tour of the island, talk about the impact of kayakers on islands, we'll eat lunch, and then we'll help clear some invasive plants for about two hours before paddling back.

--b

This is a great idea. The Mystic Lake clean up has become an annual event, and lots of fun. Hopefully the Misery one will too.

And, I am going to talk to the Gloucester Clean City folks about doing this in Gloucester Harbor - the area near the breakwater "collects" trash.

Liz N.