Greenhead status?

glil

I'm planning a beach trip in the near future. I'm assuming Plum Island (my favorite) is best avoided as this should be smack in the middle of the greenhead season. Any recommendations on beaches that don't tend to have too many greenheads? Or has anyone been to Plum Island very recently and would have the status?

Thanks, Gay

I can't speak for Plum Is specifically, but yesterday on Essex Bay there were not all that many. I think I swatted 5 during a 5 hour visit.

Of course I was in a shortie and paddling jacket, so I didn't have too much skin exposed!

Maybe the rainy summer has flooded them out?

Rob

I can't speak for Plum Is specifically, but yesterday on Essex Bay there were not all that many. I think I swatted 5 during a 5 hour visit.

Of course I was in a shortie and paddling jacket, so I didn't have too much skin exposed!

Maybe the rainy summer has flooded them out?

Rob

Due t the wet cool summer we have been having, they are much lighter than usual this year. The silver lining for Ipswich and marsh residents. Midges at dusk have been worse than usual, however, so beware if you plan to be in marsh areas after 5pm or so.

Due t the wet cool summer we have been having, they are much lighter than usual this year. The silver lining for Ipswich and marsh residents. Midges at dusk have been worse than usual, however, so beware if you plan to be in marsh areas after 5pm or so.

Thank you all for the updates.

How about the horseflies? They are the small flys that look like a regular, ah...fly but they have a nasty bite and it seems no bug stuff deters them.

Karen

Thank you all for the updates.

How about the horseflies? They are the small flys that look like a regular, ah...fly but they have a nasty bite and it seems no bug stuff deters them.

Karen

Went to Plum Island today and wasn't bothered at all by the greenheads (or horseflies either).

Inland, in my yard, the horseflies are about the worst I can remember though. One of my dogs has even started boycotting her morning walk.

Gay

I'm planning a beach trip in the near future. I'm assuming Plum Island (my favorite) is best avoided as this should be smack in the middle of the greenhead season. Any recommendations on beaches that don't tend to have too many greenheads? Or has anyone been to Plum Island very recently and would have the status?

Thanks, Gay

Paddled from Lanes to Plum Island Sound today. As soon as I was within a few hundred yards of Pavilion the greenheads came out to greet me.

For you fisherman out there ...trolled about 15 miles today without a single strike. What's going on?

Paddled from Lanes to Plum Island Sound today. As soon as I was within a few hundred yards of Pavilion the greenheads came out to greet me.

For you fisherman out there ...trolled about 15 miles today without a single strike. What's going on?

So, do you think Fox Creek would be impossible due to bugs this weekend? Perhaps better to stay on the ocean as opposed to my original plan to do the Cranes Neck Circumnavigation?

Thanks,

Karen

Adam is also whining about the (lack of) catch. Maybe they can recognize your boats, time to get a new one!

So, do you think Fox Creek would be impossible due to bugs this weekend? Perhaps better to stay on the ocean as opposed to my original plan to do the Cranes Neck Circumnavigation?

Thanks,

Karen

I'm not sure Karen. Perhaps a good repellent will protect you (I didn't use one).

I'm not sure Karen. Perhaps a good repellent will protect you (I didn't use one).

Skin So Soft is the only thing to deter Greenheads. Apply often. They really aren't as nasty as usual this year, but there are a few out there-- Pavilion is one of their favorite spots. Bring back woods deet stuff for the midges if you come back at dusk.