ways to lock a kayak outdoors?

dlapenson

My Cape Horn (red/yellow) kayak was stolen about 1 week ago, in Winthrop, MA.

This model had a day hatch, that allows a cable to be looped through it, and the cockpit. I had a chrome "monster armour" cable/link lock, locking it to a post of a chain link fence, outside my condo. This kept it safe for the past 9 years.

Wondering if anyone has tried something like "the club"? - placing it in a cargo hatch, expand it, to where it can't be removed. Then a chain around that. Need something stronger than a cable. (also I will need to find a more well lighted location.)

Time is your enemy. If the boat is in a location where it can readily be seen and accessed, it's just a matter of time until someone comes along who is willing to make the effort required to steal it. While you can certainly try to secure it better, insurance is probably your best answer. Check to see if it was covered under your homeowner's policy. If not, see if you can get a rider on the policy to cover your next boat.

Time is your enemy. If the boat is in a location where it can readily be seen and accessed, it's just a matter of time until someone comes along who is willing to make the effort required to steal it. While you can certainly try to secure it better, insurance is probably your best answer. Check to see if it was covered under your homeowner's policy. If not, see if you can get a rider on the policy to cover your next boat.

Your kayak should fall under the personal property provision of your homeowners insurance. A deductible will likely apply.

Hi,

yes, my home owners policy did give me a generous compensation, considering it was older, but in good condition, (as plastic kayaks may get scratched but don't wear out) I kept it right next to a public parking lot, and in summer the area is nearly covered by tall weeds. (And I was away on vacation the week it happened!)

Hopefully when I buy a new boat, I might take offers of friends to store it in a garage, or a private yard, Considering also getting a locking car roof rack, and/or a heavier Kryptonite chain. If it takes a half hour to saw through one, that would be a deterrent!

There is a small public beach in front of another condo here, on the harbor, where some less expensive boats are kept all year round. They're more exposed to the elements, but having the neighbors porches and windows right there, may be more safe.