Casco Bay II

EEL

Wondering how many folks would be interested in a Casco Bay trip that would start further north and east as in at juncture of Orrs and Baily Islands or end of Harpswell? If going that far would folks prefer a camping trip or is a long day trip OK? If camping, is a late afternoon or early evening start Friday reasonable? Seems if people go to Popham for the day then a day trip in the Sheepscott Bay area would be possible too.

Idea is to wander about the area further "out" in the bay as in Eagle, Jewell if weather OK and perhaps Whaleboat/Goslings or Quahog Bay if weather less than OK. All of these areas have a different feel than the Cousins/Bangs area and can provide some varied and enjoyable paddling (for timid woodland creatures at least).

Ed Lawson

Do you have a day in mind?

Late Sept and Oct are great camping months in area so maybe something then. For a day trip, tides look good August 29 and almost as good August 1 for a trip out to Eagle and/or Jewell and back from the southern tip of Orr's by the cribstone bridge. Aug. 8/9 for a trip into Quahog Bay from same location. Just ruminating for now and checking interest level.

Ed Lawson

Late Sept and Oct are great camping months in area so maybe something then. For a day trip, tides look good August 29 and almost as good August 1 for a trip out to Eagle and/or Jewell and back from the southern tip of Orr's by the cribstone bridge. Aug. 8/9 for a trip into Quahog Bay from same location. Just ruminating for now and checking interest level.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

What do you anticipate for trip level and distance. I am interested in the Aug 8 or 9 for sure. Maybe also the 29th.

Shari

What do you anticipate for trip level and distance.

Length would be a max of 12-14 NM. As to trip level, no way to know till route and weather is known. Also, I really have no feel for what what is perceived by most NSPN paddlers as a Level X trip. My assumption is it would be a solid level 3 trip, but the sum might be greater than the parts. I would say the max marine forecast for the trip would be no more than 15Kts and seas of 2-4'. Hmmm. Maybe that makes it a Level 4, but doesn't seem right to me. Looking to just a do a nice, interesting paddle and both would be that.

When I say sum greater than its parts this is the issue. The route to Jewell is starting to get out there a bit, but the conditions might be really quite mild and well within discrete criteria of Level 3 trip. However, the level of overall seamanship needed might be a more than for a routine Level 3 paddle along a settled coast so a decent comfort level in a variety of circumstances would be good. Odds are it would be notch up from the last Bangs trip, but not all that more difficult. Maybe someone could chime in on what that trip's level was thought to be overall and/or how they would rate this trip.

Ed Lawson

Hi Ed -

Thanks for posting this! I'm definitely interested (and have never explored Quahog Bay) ... most of the dates you mentioned (even into October) are okay for me EXCEPT August 1 ... and I'd be up for camping if that turns out to be part of the plan.

Judy

a decent comfort level in a variety of circumstances would be good.

Hard to predict. Our May trip to Jewell was easy going until we hit the 10-15 sou'westerlies straight on, coming around the N tip of Chebeague. Two days later, returning to launch, flat as pondwater. Throw in some fog, sprinkle in some boomers, and expect the unexpected.

Ed Lawson

Hey Ed

I could be up for something on the 8th and/or 9th

Gerry

Aug. 8/9 for a trip into Quahog Bay from same location.

Turns out I have to away on the weekend of Aug. 29 and it seems several are interested in August 8/9 weekend and Quahog Bay so will focus on that trip. If you are not familiar with it, the bay is an OK "hurricane hole" which means it contains a relatively small and protected piece of water. Should see Osprey as long standing nest there and Eagles nest in bay too, but they are more likely to be out and about in my experience. Should be a nice gunkholing trip with small islands and inlets to explore. Coming up from Orrs there will be the potential for some exposure to swells/wind waves and the wind can blow down the entrance to the bay so a L3 trip, but a nice balance of water with luck. Who knows, maybe a ledge or two will appear along the way.

If things work out, could go around Baileys which adds around 5NM and more chance for bumpy water or maybe we will use a different launch site and wander over to Cundy's Harbor/Malaga Island as well as Quahog Bay.

Will select Sat or Sun during next week as well as final route as weather suggests.

I suppose camping is a possibility that weekend too if any have an interest.

Ed Lawson

ed,

I am very interested, but will have to wait until closer to commit. i am on vacation in maine that week (great luck) and won't have internet access. is there any way I can connect with someone by cell phone just to check in and verify details etc and make final commitment?? thanks.

shari

ed,

is there any way I can connect with someone by cell phone just to check in and verify details etc and make final commitment??

Send me a PM or email with contact info and I will let you know details when finalized.

Ed Lawson

Turns out I have to away on the weekend of Aug. 29 and it seems several are interested in August 8/9 weekend and Quahog Bay so will focus on that trip. If you are not familiar with it, the bay is an OK "hurricane hole" which means it contains a relatively small and protected piece of water. Should see Osprey as long standing nest there and Eagles nest in bay too, but they are more likely to be out and about in my experience. Should be a nice gunkholing trip with small islands and inlets to explore. Coming up from Orrs there will be the potential for some exposure to swells/wind waves and the wind can blow down the entrance to the bay so a L3 trip, but a nice balance of water with luck. Who knows, maybe a ledge or two will appear along the way.

If things work out, could go around Baileys which adds around 5NM and more chance for bumpy water or maybe we will use a different launch site and wander over to Cundy's Harbor/Malaga Island as well as Quahog Bay.

Will select Sat or Sun during next week as well as final route as weather suggests.

I suppose camping is a possibility that weekend too if any have an interest.

Ed Lawson

Ed, I'm interested in joining you. Will you post directions to the put-in? The only Casco Bay put in on the website is Cousins Island. Thanks - Florrie