About kayak seats

brambor

This is my second year kayaking. I started with a 'rocker' right away. My first kayak is a used Valley Nordkapp 18 footer. First season was unnerving but this year is much better. I am now focusing on whether I have the best configured seat.

My seat has back support adjustable with straps. One thing that drives me crazy is when I get into the kayak, it is easy to drag the back support with me and end up sitting on it. Reaching back under and pulling it out is a formidable task in the tight fit of the Nordkapp (I'm 6' 240lbs).

The other day I put my nalgene bottle behind the back support, in between the coaming and the backrest. Surprisingly it felt much better. It held me more upright. I started thinking whether I should consider upgrading my seat?

Or should I forget it and just stuff some inflatable bag in the space where I had the nalgene bottle?

The most comfortable seat you will ever sit in is one you make out of closed cell foam. It can be done with limited skill and tools. We've also allowed for a gel seat to be placed in the middle of the foam but I've paddled days (when I forgot the gel seat) and was still happy with the seat.

Another thing you might consider is to move your bulkhead forward such that there is only a foam block between you and the bulkhead. The top of the bulkhead is now more or less even with the coaming to facilitate draining the cockpit. The day hatch is now much larger. This, however, takes a bit more skill but is also not extremely challenging. I believe Brian Nystrom has instructions for doing one or both of these tasks.

I wonder if the surform tool can be bought somewhere local (in the Portland, ME vicinity) as opposed to getting it from Amazon with its $6 shipping and handling charge. ?

The most comfortable seat you will ever sit in is one you make out of closed cell foam. It can be done with limited skill and tools. We've also allowed for a gel seat to be placed in the middle of the foam but I've paddled days (when I forgot the gel seat) and was still happy with the seat.

Another thing you might consider is to move your bulkhead forward such that there is only a foam block between you and the bulkhead. The top of the bulkhead is now more or less even with the coaming to facilitate draining the cockpit. The day hatch is now much larger. This, however, takes a bit more skill but is also not extremely challenging. I believe Brian Nystrom has instructions for doing one or both of these tasks.

I wonder if the surform tool can be bought somewhere local (in the Portland, ME vicinity) as opposed to getting it from Amazon with its $6 shipping and handling charge. ?

I bought one at my local hardware store. ...though that particular store is about 2 1/2 hrs from Portland.

of course, before removing your seat or backrest in favor of foam

one should ask oneself ...how much do want to be sitting on a piece of foam while paddling?

Some folks may find themselves allergic to it...some may not.

Ok. Let's say that the seat is bearable but I'm still wondering about the backrest...do you think that filling the gap with foam or some inflatable bag is a way to go ?

A foam seat can be very comfortable, but I also think they can inhibit your forward stroke. It's a bit easier (for me) to twist and turn on a smooth glass seat. If the glass seat isn't uncomfortable I wouldn't bother cutting it out.

A foam seat can be very comfortable, but I also think they can inhibit your forward stroke. It's a bit easier (for me) to twist and turn on a smooth glass seat. If the glass seat isn't uncomfortable I wouldn't bother cutting it out.

I still need to get a seat in our tandem that I'm really comfortable in. I have considered molding a glass one from the foam once I get a shape that I like.

Ok. Let's say that the seat is bearable but I'm still wondering about the backrest...do you think that filling the gap with foam or some inflatable bag is a way to go ?

A foam back rest is the way to go. :)

-Jason

Keep the glass and put in a foam backrest. An inflatable bag, which I'm using now (it's my old paddle float; had to find a use for it besides a sit-upon during lunch.) isn't good for you long term and can cause some back problems along with affecting boat trim. As soon as it stops raining and I can work outside, my foam backrest is going back in.

I have foam seats in both of my NDKs and haven't found that it really impedes rotation although, given my druthers, I'd probably want a hard seat in my next boat.

Another source for ready-made foam backrests is Virginia Sea Kayak Center: www.virginiaseakayakcenter.com. Or you can carve your own.

As for a shurform: I got mine at either Home Depot or Lowes. They also carry replacement blades.

Deb M

I still need to get a seat in our tandem that I'm really comfortable in. I have considered molding a glass one from the foam once I get a shape that I like.

Tyson,

How about making a seat from the material that they use for making the footbeds for ski boots? I had thought about that for years as they sure do make my feet feel comfortable.

Another suggestion is to put plaster or something inside a trashbag and then sit on it - edge left/right to make sure enough room for edging. Let harden and then mold the outside to fit in your boat. Then glass a seat to match that.

I'm good in the P&H seats though so I don't fuss anymore, even like the backband - found without it, when pushing on the footpegs I would ride up on the back of the seat and it would wear a hole in my skin.

Suz

"I'm good in the P&H seats though so I don't fuss anymore, even like the backband - found without it, when pushing on the footpegs I would ride up on the back of the seat and it would wear a hole in my skin."

Suz

P&H makes about the most comfortable seats going, and that's the truth (even if I do paddle Another Brit Kayak Manufacturer)

Deb M

:surfcool::roll:

Do the back rest only to start. I also like my glass seat as is. Just get a hunk of foam, rough cut it with a bread knife, or an electric knife. Fit it so it just jams in there no glue really needed. Then use a shurform to shape to fit your back. You can even carry the shurform with you on the next several paddles to adjust accordingly.

Here is a totally improvised solution that worked out much better for me than I thought it would. My back tends to stiffen up after about 1 1/2 hours on the water. On my way to the Solstice paddle, I remembered this and wondered if I could find something to use similar to a the way sitting on the edge of a blanket is easier on your back while sitting in a yoga pose.

I stopped at a supermarket to get some stuff for the pot luck and grabbed a 5lb bag of bird food, although rice or something silmilar would also work also. The plastic bag was of a fairly heavy gauge plastic and measured about 8.5" X 13". Although that may be heavier than some would like, it easily positions between the back of the boat and the top of the back of the plastic seat on my Slip Stream and it's easily adjustable. My back was fine all day, including the unexpectedly challenging paddle out of Dolliber's Cove.

One word of caution, over this weekend, I absent-mindedly put it on the seat, rather than behind the seat, which raised my center of gravity by a couple of inches but really lowered my stability in the boat.

If you go the foam backrest route (a good idea, IMO), you only need to make it 6-8" wide. There's no need to fill the entire space behind the seat.

I'm liking the bag of rice behind my back. In case I get stranded somewhere it will feed me for a while. I might make it puffed rice :P

If you go the foam backrest route (a good idea, IMO), you only need to make it 6-8" wide. There's no need to fill the entire space behind the seat.

Brambor -- as Bill Gwynn and Brian Nystrom wrote: forget touching the seat until you are convinved that you are UNcomfortable there! (Most seats are quite good, in any case) Just go ahead and carve a piece of foam for the backrest...

Is your Nordkapp, by any chance, teal green on top, over white?

Red on top over white. :P

3700438051_56689d03fe.jpg

Brambor -- as Bill Gwynn and Brian Nystrom wrote: forget touching the seat until you are convinved that you are UNcomfortable there! (Most seats are quite good, in any case) Just go ahead and carve a piece of foam for the backrest...

Pintail whats shaking???