Islesboro

jtmllr

I've got a Warren Island kayak camping trip coming up in a few weeks. I've been trying to find information about what is on Islesboro re: supplies and the such. E.g. getting to a grocery via kayak. Seems that kind of thing is up by the airport area. Any information anyone has about the area for interests, day trip suggestions, caveats, FYIs, etc. would be appreciated. I know they don't allow alcohol on Warren (what's wrong with MA and ME? ACLU take note! Nothing wrong with an IPA or two after a day of paddling or hiking.)

I'm hoping to be able to leave two cars in Lincolnville, probably the ferry lot. It would be nice if one could be ferried to Islesboro and left there but apparently that is discouraged. Has anyone ferried a yak without a car? I figure the worst case scenario is if the weather is really bad we cop out and ferry the boats to Islesboro and then paddle the short distance to Warren. I checked out the Lincolnville area on my way back from MDI but haven't gotten out to the islands. I might do a scouting trip this week or next if we have any decent days. Overnight at Camden Hills possible. If anyone is interested in that, let me know too.

I've got a Warren Island kayak camping trip coming up in a few weeks. I've been trying to find information about what is on Islesboro re: supplies and the such. E.g. getting to a grocery via kayak.

Hi Jeff:

If you can get a hold of a copy Tafts A cruising guide to the Maine Coast it has a pretty good section on Islesboro, describing facilities on each of the islands and harbors. You can find it in the minuteman library network here or you could try one of your local libraries. You're welcome to borrow my copy if we can find a convenient time/place to exchange it.

Barry.

Hi Jeff:

If you can get a hold of a copy Tafts A cruising guide to the Maine Coast it has a pretty good section on Islesboro, describing facilities on each of the islands and harbors. You can find it in the minuteman library network here or you could try one of your local libraries. You're welcome to borrow my copy if we can find a convenient time/place to exchange it.

Barry.

Jeff,

there's a group of people doing a trip up there right now. They'll be heading back after the weekend. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good up to the minute info

Jeff,

there's a group of people doing a trip up there right now. They'll be heading back after the weekend. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good up to the minute info

That's convenient! I purposely avoid holiday weekends like the plague, especially July 4th and Labor Day. If they can enjoy themselves on the worst people-infested weekend of the year I should be golden.

Hi Jeff:

Barry.

Thanks, I'll look for the book for my own library. I'm sure I can find it at a local store.

I've got a Warren Island kayak camping trip coming up in a few weeks.

Since you have the time, I suggest you consider a long day trip to Muscle ridge as part of journey. In the same basic area of the coast, but south of Rockport. Out to Otter, then down the outside of Andrews and Pleasant to Two Bush light, then back up the inside. Won't say more or it will spoil the adventure. You won't regret it, but do it after you go to Warren. You will understand after.

Hopefully the fog will have relented by then given the shipping lanes on the inside and outside of area around Warren.

Ed Lawson

Jeff

A group of us have been camping at Warren on the 4 of July weekend for a few years in a row. It's actually a nice time to be there. Not a lot of people and the fireworks are just across the channel from Islesboro. Anyway, we usually ferry the cars across to Islesboro (free street parking along the road) and then cross the 1/4 mile to Warren from there. Since the conditions will be unknown 3-5 days after camping we find it a safer option to paddle to Islesboro rather than the open crossing to Lincolnville Beach. Provisions can be found on Islesboro since it is a large and populated island but it is best to stock up on the main land. There is a fried food / ice cream shack at the ferry terminal but a car (or bike) would be needed to find other provisions. Nearest ice is on the way to the airport so you need transportation for that. Alcohol on Warrens is prohibited but leave no trace and use discretion and you won't have a problem. Plus the water is just the right temp for chilling a good brew or white wine.

Try to work with the tides cuz its a rocky, slippery slog to get the boats ashore at Warrens; not impossible just easier at higher tides.

Good Luck

Thank you very much for the information. We initially wanted to leave the cars on Islesboro, but the information I could find didn't support the intention. If it is possible then that's great and simplifies logistics substantially. I figured the worst case scenario is having to drop more $$ on the ferry to get back to the mainland if the conditions weren't favorable on the last day. I suppose they can't tow my car very far, and there must be a restriction against dumping it into the sea. We thought of the technicality that if we left the beer in the water then it wouldn't actually be on the island. I'm not sure if our site is close enough to the water so that we could raft up and still see the fire. I'll bring my anchor just in case! I don't need alcohol to have a good time but one or two by the fire is part of the experience. Otherwise I might as well go backpacking. Must be all the barking dogs and screaming kids at other campgrounds are drunk out of their skulls. I'll do my best not to over do it and climb the lighthouse with underwear on my head and ruin it for the rest of you. After a full day of paddling I doubt we'll be all that rowdy.

The info about trips of interest is helpful too. I've been looking forward to this for awhile.

Also check out the authors website The messages section has some good information.

Anyone know of a book store that carries this? No web ordering from the site and I don't really want to deal with phones and answering machines, shipping, etc. if I can just pick it up some place.