rat swim!

so after the lake session.....this may be the gerwurtzaminer typing but all i can think of is this crazy dick dale riff and yelling swim, you dirty rat, swim!

toss the paddle aside a ways...say a boat length....now, over you go...stroke til you get to the paddle....once paddle in hand, roll up....i'd forgotten how much fun this is! alas, it's been a looong boring winter...but rejoice, the sun is high in the sky and twilight takes a good long while to settle down!

FYI...make sure that breath before you go over the side is considerable....and what the hell, make sure it's your blade and you know what the feather is...that'll throw you...but you don't care...you took a big breath!

<insert riff here>

so after the lake session.....this may be the gerwurtzaminer typing but all i can think of is this crazy dick dale riff and yelling swim, you dirty rat, swim!

toss the paddle aside a ways...say a boat length....now, over you go...stroke til you get to the paddle....once paddle in hand, roll up....i'd forgotten how much fun this is! alas, it's been a looong boring winter...but rejoice, the sun is high in the sky and twilight takes a good long while to settle down!

FYI...make sure that breath before you go over the side is considerable....and what the hell, make sure it's your blade and you know what the feather is...that'll throw you...but you don't care...you took a big breath!

<insert riff here>

love the rat swim . . . also sure to get some applause if done in front of groups of non kayakers :)

I guess its a nifty parlour trick, but I see no practical use for this exercise other than working on your underwater hold time...

If I go over and loose a paddle, it is unlikely that I will have any clue where it is and I'm not going to waste valuable time looking for it upside down. I will remove half a split from the fore deck, roll up, put the split together and paddle.

Jon

I guess its a nifty parlour trick, but I see no practical use for this exercise other than working on your underwater hold time...

If I go over and loose a paddle, it is unlikely that I will have any clue where it is and I'm not going to waste valuable time looking for it upside down. I will remove half a split from the fore deck, roll up, put the split together and paddle.

Jon

didn't say it was practical...said it was fun....were you not paying attention? really, i hardly ever hear dick dale riffs in my head while paddling....mostly then it's the theme from gilligan's island.

Since a paddler cannot only swim, but also breathe while you are swimming, it also teaches how to grab a few breathes while waiting for an eskimo rescue. see: http://www.seakayakermag.com/2006/April06/eskimo_roll01.htm

This might reduce the number of wet exits, keeping a few less accomplished rollers in their kayaks instead.

Ralph