Drysuit sale

Lbeale

The LLBean outlet in Nashua, NH had several Kokatat drysuits for decent prices (forgot how much), but worth a call if your looking for one.

I called them Chris and they told me they had dry tops not suits--does this make sense--I am looking at the Meridian - here's outdoorplay's price:

Women's GTX Meridian w/Drop Seat & GTX Socks plus FREE Drysuit Liner ($135 value) $1,043.95

Seems like a good price to me--does anyone else know of a better deal?

Les

Les-

The price is pretty good, but talk with Suz or the retailer folks. If I've got this right, some of this years KKtat liner suits are difficult for women to use with the half-moon dropseat suits. Also, this may have changed, but it used to be that the expedition was only about 50$ (??? memory failing here) more than the women's meridian. It got you the same socks, tunnel plus the hood, and several more pockets. Lorrie loves hers.

Phil

Les-

The price is pretty good, but talk with Suz or the retailer folks. If I've got this right, some of this years KKtat liner suits are difficult for women to use with the half-moon dropseat suits. Also, this may have changed, but it used to be that the expedition was only about 50$ (??? memory failing here) more than the women's meridian. It got you the same socks, tunnel plus the hood, and several more pockets. Lorrie loves hers.

Phil

The Outdoor Play advertisement shows last years liner which is a 2 way stretch material and has the women's drop seat.

The new liner is a way nicer material as it is Polartech Powerdry and has 4 way stretch and has a different cut and is way more comfortable. BUT as Phil mentioned, it has a new opening and it is along the crotch, similar to the opening in a wetsuit but with a zipper that is one way beginning in the front.

In order to use this zipper with a drop seat drysuit, you need to kneel but with one leg straight out backwards. THEN reach through the drop seat to the front of the liner to pull the zipper down. I have tied a string to facilitate this. The unzipping is very doable and I haven't yet wet my pants:) BUT, I have a terribly difficult time getting the zipper all the way closed. Which isn't a problem until I get dressed when done paddling in front of other people and forget that my zipper isn't closed. This has resulted in a bit of embarrassment and if I would just remember to turn around, it wouldn't be a big deal. I will say that I love the material so much in this new liner, I put up with the gyrations of getting it open/closed.

As for which suit is better, the Expedition or the Meridian - I think the Expedition is far superior with the pockets on each arm, reflective tape on the hood and arms along with the hood - for only about $50 more - I can look up the retails on each and will post later - don't have access right now.

Suz

I called them Chris and they told me they had dry tops not suits--does this make sense--I am looking at the Meridian

They definitely had dry SUITS the last time I was there. If I get a chance, I'll swing by and check today (it's less than a mile from my house). What they had were the GFER suits (Gore-Tex Front Entry) with ankle seals, rather than socks. They also had the semi-dry (neoprene neck) suits with socks (I forget the model name).

They definitely had dry SUITS the last time I was there. If I get a chance, I'll swing by and check today (it's less than a mile from my house). What they had were the GFER suits (Gore-Tex Front Entry) with ankle seals, rather than socks. They also had the semi-dry (neoprene neck) suits with socks (I forget the model name).

I was there today and they have only drysuits, no dry tops. Goretex suits with ankle gaskets and no relief zipper for 499 brand new or 399 customer returns. Tropos suits with neo neck gasket and relief zipper for 339. Not bad pricing though I can't see having a dry suit without a relief zip myself ;-)

I was there today and they have only drysuits, no dry tops. Goretex suits with ankle gaskets and no relief zipper for 499 brand new or 399 customer returns. Tropos suits with neo neck gasket and relief zipper for 339. Not bad pricing though I can't see having a dry suit without a relief zip myself ;-)

LLBean has moved from stocking the GFE (Gore-Tex Front Entry) Unisex (read men's...) and the Supernova (semi dry/tropos material unisex) to stocking the GFER in the stores and catalog. The GFER is the Unisex model WITH relief zipper and socks. That is why you are finding the suits at the outlets. I don't think that they are customer returns - although some may be.

You can buy the suit and if a good deal, you can send it back to Kokatat and they will add a FRONT relief zipper only (can be lowered for women) and Gore-Tex Socks.

Cost as follows:

Zipper - $140

Socks - $144

The total price is cheaper than the newGFER suit at $899 retail.

Also, small women sometimes fit better in the Unisex sizing than they do in the women's suit so it might be worthwhile to try on.

Suz

As for which suit is better, the Expedition or the Meridian - I think the Expedition is far superior with the pockets on each arm, reflective tape on the hood and arms along with the hood - for only about $50 more - I can look up the retails on each and will post later - don't have access right now.

Suz

Retail price on: (standard sizing - XXL is a bit more)

GFER (men's) - $899

GFED (women's) - $935

GMER (men's)- $999

GMED (women's)- $1044

Expedition (men's)- $1079

Expedition (women's) - $1090

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful and informative.

I found the meridian Kokatat Women's GORE-TEX Front Entry Dry Suit with Drop Seat (185) = $885.00 from a place in Florida that focuses on kite sailing--

But based on this discussion, I probably will return for 2 reasons:

1. buy locally--duh!!! what was I thinking--maybe I can get a local outfitter to match the price.

2. maybe I do want the expedition--although it is more like $150 difference--I did not want that expedition b/c I am not crazy about the hood-- how often am I going to be using that hood and will it just get in the way--my understanding (although limited) is that the hood is not detachable--I am afraid it will be too much around my neck with the gaskets and now the hood--enough already around the neck--

This a big purchase for me--my current drysuit is sooooo old-at leats 8 years old-Kokotat but the kind that doesn't breath--got it off a rack in REI--the last one in the store--believe me, there is a reason why they no longer carry this model. I thought because I was small and normally I don't sweat much--that the suit did not breath, it didn't matter -- I now know that even if you sweat in small amounts, the suit holds the moisture--so when I am not paddling, I chill quickly.

So any help from the kind folks in this club--is much appreciated and well considered--

It appears from what Suz writes, I brought last year model--my question is, is that such a big deal? Is it worth the price the buy newer model?

I expect my suit to arrive tomorrow--would like to take it on the Kayak boot camp with John C and Ben L.

Thanks again to all for your informed feedback.

Les aka swearing ferret

I have no valid opinion on subject, but I have seen long threads somewhere about the value or non-value of the drop seat version for women. Seems some prefer the "regular" front relief zipper and find the drop seat zipper uncomfortable and difficult to use. I assume some women in the club have opinions on that.

FWIW, membership in MITA entitles you to a 10% discount on anything, note anything, you buy at Kittery Trading Post. They usually have a decent selection of Kokatat drysuits at a good price to start there and with 10% further off, I suspect price would be very competitive. Not sure about discount on mail orders, but no tax and free shipping from KTP as I recall.

Ed Lawson

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful and informative.

I found the meridian Kokatat Women's GORE-TEX Front Entry Dry Suit with Drop Seat (185) = $885.00 from a place in Florida that focuses on kite sailing--

But based on this discussion, I probably will return for 2 reasons:

1. buy locally--duh!!! what was I thinking--maybe I can get a local outfitter to match the price.

2. maybe I do want the expedition--although it is more like $150 difference--I did not want that expedition b/c I am not crazy about the hood-- how often am I going to be using that hood and will it just get in the way--my understanding (although limited) is that the hood is not detachable--I am afraid it will be too much around my neck with the gaskets and now the hood--enough already around the neck--

This a big purchase for me--my current drysuit is sooooo old-at leats 8 years old-Kokotat but the kind that doesn't breath--got it off a rack in REI--the last one in the store--believe me, there is a reason why they no longer carry this model. I thought because I was small and normally I don't sweat much--that the suit did not breath, it didn't matter -- I now know that even if you sweat in small amounts, the suit holds the moisture--so when I am not paddling, I chill quickly.

So any help from the kind folks in this club--is much appreciated and well considered--

It appears from what Suz writes, I brought last year model--my question is, is that such a big deal? Is it worth the price the buy newer model?

I expect my suit to arrive tomorrow--would like to take it on the Kayak boot camp with John C and Ben L.

Thanks again to all for your informed feedback.

Les aka swearing ferret

Les,

What size are you? You can borrow my personal size M women's Expedition suit so that you can try the hood. I LOVE the hood. It doesn't come off but does roll down and you cinch it down with the velcro tab. Have used in surf rolled down with my hood on. Didn't notice it.

Don't notice it at all when it is down, when ON my head, it really dials in to fit and in winter, the nice fleece in front of the mouth is a treat.

If you are a size small, I can only loan you a women's GFE w/ socks, no relief zipper.

When are you heading north? I am at KTP store on Saturday and could have either/both with me alternatively, I live right off 495 and 15 minutes off 95 and I could leave outside the house for you to pick up.

Don't have your personal e-mail otherwise I would have e-mailed you directly.. or called!

Shoot me an e-mail or call me and we can chat. I will PM you my phone.

Suz

I have no valid opinion on subject, but I have seen long threads somewhere about the value or non-value of the drop seat version for women. Seems some prefer the "regular" front relief zipper and find the drop seat zipper uncomfortable and difficult to use. I assume some women in the club have opinions on that.

This seems to be a personal preference item. Linda loved the drop seat in her first dry suit and ordered one in her new dry suit as well. She has no problems with it in any of her boats (Pintail, Anas Acuta, SOF)

Having owned and been very disappointed with two of the first-gen SuperNovas' poor seam quality (I know it's since improved) and easily-frayed thin neck gasket (still the same flimsy design), I balked at the thought of the pricier K'tats with latex neck gasket issues. Having tried the IR neo-neck on their drytop I was hoping to like the IR drysuit. But their rear-zip design entry proved too awkward for me.

So I'm glad to report that I'm VERY happy with the Stohlquist bPOD, with its tough cordura-bottomed booties, lighter-weight yet solid zippers, quietness, and VERY dry 1" tall smooth-skin neoprene neck gasket (a bit heavier than IR's).

A quick Google finds them at kayakpro.com et al for $500-550.

The seam-work is superb and intact (no leaks!), and after an initial stretch the neck seal is comfy.

The midriff (and overskirt) are a bit snug (I've gained 10lbs this winter), but only when pulling it on.

(Fit of the M's L seems slightly taller but narrower than the K'tat.)

The relief zipper requires a strong initial tug to open as its molded thermoplastic material is very tight at the end-lock. Otherwise no complaints.

The 3-layer material is soft, smooth, and very breathable, even with the added layer of over-skirt. We'll see if it holds up as well as the $1k Gore K'tats, but so far I'm very impressed.

Oh crap...just discovered I left the Miata's top down throughout last night's rain!

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably an old discussion but I have a lot of time on my hands and it is raining out. I'm putting off a trip to the DMV too (still one week day left.) I research gear excessively and recently was on the prowl for a dry suit. I narrowed it down to Palm and Kokatat. Palm dealers are too sparse and I'm not buying a suit without trying it on. The body dimensions seemed odd, too. For the stumpy fat demographic? Maybe for hardcore paddlers with chicken bodies due to over developed torso and atrophied legs? I wasn't sure about the back zipper. Front and back seem to have their virtues so I dismissed that factor. I had settled on wanting a GMER. Stockable item so will go on sale and clearance, but the best deal other than for a small was only a hundred bucks off. I hit the KTP show at UNH in April and talked to the reps at the Kokatat booth and tried on things. Firstly, for the extra 80 bucks (sale difference on GMER excluded) there's no reason not to get the Expedition. Reasons listed above in another post (hood, pockets, etc.) I was able to get 10% off and no shipping or tax, because at the KTP show everything is at least 10% off. The rep said she knew of no place in New England stocking the Expedition therefore there would be no closeouts. My fruitless Internet searches could not dispel the marketing pitch. This year's model addressed shortcomings learned from the previous, so getting a used suit wouldn't be as good. Hood and chest drains being the main improvement I can remember. $980 bucks but next April is far away. I got a free hat too!

Things that upsold me to the GMER/Expedition: Dry socks! Who wants wet feet when it is cold enough to warrant a dry suit? Plus no ankle gaskets to fight with. I also want the skirt tunnel since it helps keep water out of the cockpit if you roll or surf, or rain. Not essential but why not have that? Ankle cuffs to keep sand out of the booties, which protects the Gore-Tex socks. Flap over the entry zipper to keep sand out and the gnarly teeth from rubbing on the suit. Gore-Tex models have lifetime warranty vs the 3 year Tropos. Plus more breathable supposedly. "Tropos" sounds really hot and sticky and makes me think of malaria. Still the disclaimer about gaskets and certain repair warranty limits with the Gore-Tex, but whatever. I had to order it and it took a month, but I love the suit. Note I got talked into a size larger than I would have picked on my own. A little too much leg length but the room in the arms for rolls and braces is important, and torso room for under layering. I don't plan on doing a lot of walking in it so long legs don't matter. The suits can be tailored by Kokatat cheaply, but never having a suit I didn't want to customize the size before experiencing it so I took the stock Large. Same charge to adjust it later if I need to but I think it is OK. Definitely glad I didn't get the size smaller. I'm sure to get my moneys' worth this year and will probably need it to get to the grocery store if the weather doesn't break.

Be assured I'm trying to be discrete but am not good at it - if I were a woman I'd probably get the Little John (hwhat?!) with the Lady J adapter so I could relieve without getting out of the boat. In that case, perhaps the front/male zipper might work better for access. It seems that trying to work a drop seat when floating in a kayak would be tricky, and the access angle would be less than opportune. I have not worked out the trigonometry though so please do your own math. Not many places to get out of your boat because of rocky shores (lined with houses and therefore spectators), and dinosaur-swallowing mud lining the rivers and estuaries. Be assured that when you need privacy there won't be any. So, my uneducated assessment is to look into the configuration above and see if it holds water. Double pun, double points!

Removing my Kokatat Rep post information since I'm informed she and Suz are one and the same. She's already on the case! Thanks for the suit and the hat too. Feel free to include any of my urination tips to the Fall 2009 brochure, royalty-free.

Removing my Kokatat Rep post information since I'm informed she and Suz are one and the same. She's already on the case! Thanks for the suit and the hat too. Feel free to include any of my urination tips to the Fall 2009 brochure, royalty-free.

Hi Jeff and welcome to NSPN!

I thought it was you when I saw your first post about trips in NH.

Glad your suit is working out and that you are pleased with the size you chose.

Best,

Suz