Solstice Paddle June 27 Level 2/2+

Rob Hazard

Trip Initiator: Rob Hazard

The Level 2+ trip will leave Riverhead Beach at 11:00.

We will follow the west shore of Marblehead Harbor Northward and around the point into Salem Harbor, then cross Salem Harbor from Naugus Head to Fort Pickering, then follow the shore around to Salem Willows for a beach break.

There are restrooms at Salem Willows.

We will then return the way we came to Riverhead Beach.

The total distance is about 9 NM. If we assume a pace of 3 knots and a half-hour break, that should put us back at Riverhead Beach before 3:00 PM, in plenty of time for the party.

We will follow the west shore of Marblehead Harbor Northward and around the point into Salem Harbor, then cross Salem Harbor from Naugus Head to Fort Pickering, then follow the shore around to Salem Willows for a beach break.

The total distance is about 9 NM. If we assume a pace of 3 knots and a half-hour break, that should put us back at Riverhead Beach before 3:00 PM, in plenty of time for the party.

Yay! It's great to see a trip I can sign up for, even if I'm the only one going! Thanks Rob! Florrie

I might try to make this-- Father's Day, right? Where do you plan to put in?

Thanks, Deb, for the clarification. The date is the 27th. We have scheduled the solstice Party a week AFTER the actual solstice, due to Father's Day and conflicts with a couple other paddling events.

Sorry for the confusion,Nancy.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for clarification. It will probably be me, Hal B., and possibly my 15 year old daughter. She has been paddling for a few years, though usually she isn't out for long paddles. I think she should be fine, though. She has proper gear-- what kind of dress are you recommending if this is a typical summer day?

Hi all,

If the weather is warm I'd recommend a wetsuit like a farmer john with a paddling jacket. If it's gray you might find a drysuit more comfy. If it's sunny, definitely wear a hat and sunblock.

I'm not requiring advance signups, but I appreciate knowing who and how many will come along.

The trip will be covering about 8 1/2 nautical miles in about 3 hours, so you need to be able to maintain a pace of 3 knots. PFD's and sprayskirts are required, of course, as well as experience with wet exits and T-rescues.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob.

I plan to be there, in the event that you are looking for a headcount.

Dee

Thanks, all!

So far I count 8, five of us from this topic, plus verbal responses from 3 more. I'll bet we're a fleet of 14 boats by the time we're on the water.

Dee, you'll get to see your old Romany again, with its new owner aboard! I hope you'll think it's found a good home!

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks, all!

So far I count 8, five of us from this topic, plus verbal responses from 3 more. I'll bet we're a fleet of 14 boats by the time we're on the water.

I plan on joining you as well.

Ralph

I just spoke with Brian Wells, who is heading up the Level 2 group. They will have their beach briefing as soon as we have launched.

So, we should meet for our beach briefing punctually at 10:45, suited up, with boats lined up on the beach ready to go.

See you there!

Rob

Hi Rob, I am a new member to NSPN and would love to join you . I will be paddling a Wilderness Tempest. I have paddled with John, Ellen, and Florrie who are on your trip. My paddling experience : I Have paddled this year on the AMC Knubble Bay/Beal Island trip, a week in Florida approx. 10 miles /day and the Charles River locally 1-2x/week. Thank-you much for arranging this trip!

Ann

Welcome, Ann! Glad to have you come along.

A note to everyone: I assume we've all read the guidelines concerning trip Levels. This trip should actually fall into Level 2, with less than 10 miles to travel, less than 10 knots of wind, less than 1 ft seas, no surf, no current. If wind or waves exceed Level 2 we will cancel the trip and do something else.

Paddling skills called for: forward, reverse and sweep strokes, and having practiced the dreaded Wet Exit and T - Rescue.

If you need a refresher on the wet exit and T - rescue, please come to Chebacco Lake tomorrow (Thursday) evening and we'll go over it ad nauseum!

Of course we are all required to have PFD and sprayskirt.

See you all on the beach at 10:45!

Rob

Thanks, all!

Dee, you'll get to see your old Romany again, with its new owner aboard! I hope you'll think it's found a good home!

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Count me in on the solstice 2/2+ trip - Karen D.

A note to everyone: I assume we've all read the guidelines concerning trip Levels. This trip should actually fall into Level 2, with less than 10 miles to travel, less than 10 knots of wind, less than 1 ft seas, no surf, no current. If wind or waves exceed Level 2 we will cancel the trip and do something else.

...and don't forget that there is a very Level 2 only paddle with a distance of 3-4 nm's...