Open water rescue practice anyone?

djlewis

Anybody interested in a paddle this weekend (or any time) with one or more stops for some intensive open water rescue work? Recent experience for me indicates I could use some tuning up on this, and maybe others could too. We usually just paddle-paddle-paddle and don't get as much good rescue practice as we should.

If you're an old hand or new to open water paddling and have done most of your rescue practice so far on flat (or even pool) water, this would be a good chance to work in more realistic conditions. We can cover a variety of techniques, and everybody can learn from each other. We can also go somewhere, so it's not all in one boring place.

Reply here (or djlewis at triadic dot com) if you're interested and we can discuss a day and venue.

--David.

David-

I'd be up for it. Prefer somewhere on the NorthShore, as I have to shuttle Lorrie up there for L2-3 training this weekend.

Phil

lets go up on the piscat...moving water, maybe a little bump? there's a spot W of the 95 bridge on the S side of the river that looks fun.

I'd be up for it. Prefer somewhere on the NorthShore, as I have to shuttle Lorrie up there for L2-3 training this weekend.

Phil

Great... sounds like I struck a nerve here. North Shore is fine -- we have two NH suggestions, and I'll add the Salvages (outside Rockport/Sandy Bay) as an option; it generally has action with even the slightest hint of swell.

But I propose we let you (Phil) decide the place and time for your convenience, since you and Lorrie are working at being environmentally correct by having only one car, and her 2-3* training is certainly a worthwhile endeavor to support.

As to which day, I'm up for either Saturday or Sunday, with a slight preference for Sunday as it gives me an extra day to shake a cold. If we can, let's postpone that decision until we see closer forecasts.

--David.

Great... sounds like I struck a nerve here. North Shore is fine -- we have two NH suggestions, and I'll add the Salvages (outside Rockport/Sandy Bay) as an option; it generally has action with even the slightest hint of swell.

But I propose we let you (Phil) decide the place and time for your convenience, since you and Lorrie are working at being environmentally correct by having only one car, and her 2-3* training is certainly a worthwhile endeavor to support.

As to which day, I'm up for either Saturday or Sunday, with a slight preference for Sunday as it gives me an extra day to shake a cold. If we can, let's postpone that decision until we see closer forecasts.

--David.

Count me in. I'm completely open as to which day and which venue.

Count me in. I'm completely open as to which day and which venue.

MY VOTE is SUNDAY.....the point i'm talking about on the piscat has a max ebb in the afternoon - we can launch 11ish from around pierce isl, play a bit, do some rescues in whatever we can find to re-familiarize after a long winter, break for lunch and go play.

MY VOTE is SUNDAY.....the point i'm talking about on the piscat has a max ebb in the afternoon - we can launch 11ish from around pierce isl, play a bit, do some rescues in whatever we can find to re-familiarize after a long winter, break for lunch and go play.

SUNDAY is best for me as well. Would prefer Portsmouth area but am flexible.

That would work really well for me. Its a late enough start that the drive up from Boston won't have to start too early.

That would work really well for me. Its a late enough start that the drive up from Boston won't have to start too early.

well there's 3...david, you in? come play. would love to get gene out with his radio too...would love to see how that works out compared to other methods of communication....and if we set it up right may directly lead to rescues.

can someone post to trips or maybe calendar?

Phil and I have been talking back-channel, and our preference this time is for Salvages and Straitsmouth. There are a number of ledges there for rougher practice, and always plenty of open water for less rough. Plus, there are opportunities for open water paddling, landing on beaches and other interesting places for lunch, etc. We could launch from Pebble Beach, which puts us 2nm from Straitsmouth and under 3 from the Salvages.

Also, it's more of a midway location for the Boston vs NH denizens.

Would people still go for that, say on Saturday?

--David.

Phil and I have been talking back-channel, and our preference this time is for Salvages and Straitsmouth. There are a number of ledges there for rougher practice, and always plenty of open water for less rough. Plus, there are opportunities for open water paddling, landing on beaches and other interesting places for lunch, etc. We could launch from Pebble Beach, which puts us 2nm from Straitsmouth and under 3 from the Salvages.

Also, it's more of a midway location for the Boston vs NH denizens.

Would people still go for that, say on Saturday?

--David.

i can't make saturday - have fun.

i can't make saturday - have fun.

Sunday is still OK, if more people can make that. Show of hands -- Saturday only, Sunday only, either?

As of now, predictions show the swell on Saturday from the E and moving to S on Sunday. That means a bit more action on Saturday, but maybe not a huge difference.

--David.

Sunday is still OK, if more people can make that. Show of hands -- Saturday only, Sunday only, either?

As of now, predictions show the swell on Saturday from the E and moving to S on Sunday. That means a bit more action on Saturday, but maybe not a huge difference.

--David.

FWIW, upriver isn't really all that dependent upon wind/swell direction and this factor would obviously have more impact on the outside.

i'd love to play BOTH days but J is home on saturday and that tug o war is really one sided.

David -

I don't know if the focus of this trip has changed, but I could use some rescue practice somewhere in "real" conditions. Since I know only a couple of you, let me introduce myself.

I started paddling one year ago, worked hard all season at Chebacco L. on Thursdays, did a few trips (circumnavigation of Castle Neck, Boston Harbor, Hampton Beach, Salem Harbor, and a few others), then did the Rough Water Symposium in RI last Labor Day. I love rocks, surf, and messy conditions.

Just bought a lively new boat last weekend (Nordkapp LV) and have been putting it through its paces on my local pond, figuring out just where that point of no return is on edge. (got a lot of rolling and cowboy re-entry practice in the process, and had to keep fending off would-be rescuers from shore, bless them).

Sunday works best for me although Saturday might be possible as well.

Blaine B.

David -

I don't know if the focus of this trip has changed, but I could use some rescue practice somewhere in "real" conditions. Since I know only a couple of you, let me introduce myself.

I started paddling one year ago, worked hard all season at Chebacco L. on Thursdays, did a few trips (circumnavigation of Castle Neck, Boston Harbor, Hampton Beach, Salem Harbor, and a few others), then did the Rough Water Symposium in RI last Labor Day. I love rocks, surf, and messy conditions.

Just bought a lively new boat last weekend (Nordkapp LV) and have been putting it through its paces on my local pond, figuring out just where that point of no return is on edge. (got a lot of rolling and cowboy re-entry practice in the process, and had to keep fending off would-be rescuers from shore, bless them).

Sunday works best for me although Saturday might be possible as well.

Blaine B.

That's the focus -- rescues, all kinds, in real conditions -- all the way from simple ocean swell to gnarly stuff in the rocks and ledges, as you desire. We'll work in teams, with tows as appropriate. Check the trip board for details -- Sunday, ready to launch at 10:00 from Pebble Beach. Helmets required.

Parking as Pebble Beach is usually OK except on the sunniest midsummer days. A section of the road is available for non-residents. Sometimes divers occupy some slots, but I've never been shut out. I suggest we park head-in to reduce our footprint.

That's the focus -- rescues, all kinds, in real conditions -- all the way from simple ocean swell to gnarly stuff in the rocks and ledges, as you desire. We'll work in teams, with tows as appropriate. Check the trip board for details -- Sunday, ready to launch at 10:00 from Pebble Beach. Helmets required.

Parking as Pebble Beach is usually OK except on the sunniest midsummer days. A section of the road is available for non-residents. Sometimes divers occupy some slots, but I've never been shut out. I suggest we park head-in to reduce our footprint.

unless parking at pebble has changed substantially, you can't park head in as it would partially block the narrow road between the beach and the marsh....if anyone is heading down from around amesbury, lemmeknow and we can take 1 vehicle.

and if some are going with the intention of gnarly, then be prepared for gnarly - radio or 2 might be an idea, where is the closest hospital, what is the phone # for local EMS and police and what cg station has that area of responsibility? if it gets gnarlier than anyone wants and the coasties are needed - how far is that station - so that under "best case" sort of response times, how long might that be before someone is on scene?

see you on the beach.

Last time we were at Pebble there was room to park a Subaru Forester head-in on the beach side without protruding onto the roadway. This involves parking at least partially on sand so you need to observe appropriate caution with (most) inferior vehicles sandwise. As always parking inconsiderately can curtail our goodwill and even our put-ins.