Kayak Camping around Cape Porpoise

Lbeale

I am planning to do some kayak camping around Cape Porpoise this weekend--has anyone camped on either Trott, Cape or Vaughn?

If you have, can you tell me the logistic considerations like parking overnight? I know I need to get a permit from local police and permission from the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust.

I also need help with tide and current considerations -- and other navigational wisdom from those who have paddled in that area--

In other words,

Any local information or impressions of those 3 islands for a two-night stay would be helpful--

Thanks in advance,

Les

aka swearing ferret

I am planning to do some kayak camping around Cape Porpoise this weekend--has anyone camped on either Trott, Cape or Vaughn?

If you have, can you tell me the logistic considerations like parking overnight? I know I need to get a permit from local police and permission from the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust.

I also need help with tide and current considerations -- and other navigational wisdom from those who have paddled in that area--

In other words,

Any local information or impressions of those 3 islands for a two-night stay would be helpful--

Thanks in advance,

Les

aka swearing ferret

Hi Les,

I haven't had time to check the chart and because no one else replied, I will stretch my memory.

When paddling that area, I did camp on Vaughan - I think that is the one - at low tide you can walk across from the boat landing. It was a lovely island with plenty of camp sites.

Logistics for getting the permit are a bit difficult, you can't do ahead of time. Have to show up at the police station the day of. So, when paddling by the area on the way further north without a car, I didn't get a permit. When talking to locals on the island, they said that no one does. They warned that when low tides are at night on the weekend, the local kids party there.

I found the island to be a bit messy and it was only Memorial Day (a few years ago) that I camped there. You know, toilet paper in the bushes and beer bottles around. It wasn't so bad that I wouldn't stay there but figured that by Labor Day, it would be overdue for a big clean up.

I would definitely stay there again and hope that the evening begins with rain to keep the local teens from walking over to party.

Suz

SF,

I haven't been there, but have heard that parking at Cape Porpoise is bad; I think the parking is better in Kennebubunkport, a few miles (?) to the south (don't know about overnight , though) . Many have put in there and paddled north up to Cape Porpoise: Somewhat exposed, but supposed to be a nice paddle.

Les:

I have not camped there, but perhaps the following will be helpful.

1. Parking is an issue, especially overnight. The distances are so short that paddling up from Kennebunkport is a good option. I don't know if you can park overnight at Colony Beach and there is also a free lot for fisherman not far from Colony Beach. Perhaps a call to the police there would be helpful. Its not uncommon for police to say fine to park overnight, just give us vehicle description and when you expect to be there. Own risk for vandalism of course. They may give other options. There is a launch site at the end of the road by Turbats Creek but need to be within couple hours of high tide. Not sure about overnight parking there. There is public parking at the town wharf although the restaurant there might make you think otherwise. However the fishermen need the parking and you will, as a person "from away" not make friends parking there.

2. The inside (between islands and shore) flats out so you need to mind the tides except for channel into town wharf. Current not an issue.

3. IMHO, Cape would be the most interesting, but you will have time to explore and try a couple islands and visit rest. The landing sites are better on Trott and its a toss up. Vaughan is known as a party island since at low tide folks with big coolers can walk over. Worse than Jewell in that regard. Not sure caretaker will be on Goat I. yet, but he will let you into lighthouse. I think with forecast seas it will be a great weekend to be there. It can be exciting on the outside around Goat and Cape. It is a very neat little area.

Another area fairly close which is nice is upper Casco Bay south of Mere Point and islands in Sheepscot near Boothbay.

You don't need to go all the way to Muscongus or Stonington to find good places to camp and journey.

Just some thoughts.

Ed Lawson