Sunday York or Gerrish? 5/24

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ May 20 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I got a lot of energy to burn off apparently ;) , so anyone up for either of these trips? Paddle out of York or Kittery. Please post or email interest.

I'm game. How about Cape Porpoise (just a little further North I believe). I have been hoping to get out there all winter.

Ross

QUOTE(Kevin B @ May 20 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, not too interested in Cape Porpoise this time around.

Ah, come on Kevin! You can find a rock or two to make it interesting. I haven't been to Cape Porpoise, so if there is a trip there I hope to join.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ May 20 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, not too interested in Cape Porpoise this time around.

Perhaps this belongs in the discussion area, but I realize I am guilty of something that has concerned me about the workings of the CAM trip process. For example, as here, person A posts trip X and in response others say "What about trip Y" which perhaps is of no interest to person A. If there are adequate number of folks for both, then no harm no foul and everyone can do what they like. But what if there are not and the trip morphs into trip Y? Seems possible person A will not be happy as his trip won't happen and they were the one who took the initiative to post a trip. Further, it might lead person A to be reluctant to post again and people who did not take the initiative to post a trip, in this case me, are essentially hijacking a trip by suggesting a totally different trip. To me this is very different that reaching consensus of launch time, etc. as often happens.

Maybe this is no big deal and I'm just overly compulsive. However, upon reflection it seemed to me that either I should go on Kevin's trip or post a separate trip or post a trip for Cape Porpoise for another day to avoid conflicts. I know Kevin can easily do what he wants whether others join or not, but that is not the case for all and the point of the exercise would seem to be to have trips in which a decent number of NSPN members participate. Hopefully even a good cross section of members.

Ed Lawson

Perhaps this belongs in the discussion area, but I realize I am guilty of something that has concerned me about the workings of the CAM trip process. For example, as here, person A posts trip X and in response others say "What about trip Y" which perhaps is of no interest to person A. If there are adequate number of folks for both, then no harm no foul and everyone can do what they like. But what if there are not and the trip morphs into trip Y? Seems possible person A will not be happy as his trip won't happen and they were the one who took the initiative to post a trip. Further, it might lead person A to be reluctant to post again and people who did not take the initiative to post a trip, in this case me, are essentially hijacking a trip by suggesting a totally different trip. To me this is very different that reaching consensus of launch time, etc. as often happens.

Maybe this is no big deal and I'm just overly compulsive. However, upon reflection it seemed to me that either I should go on Kevin's trip or post a separate trip or post a trip for Cape Porpoise for another day to avoid conflicts. I know Kevin can easily do what he wants whether others join or not, but that is not the case for all and the point of the exercise would seem to be to have trips in which a decent number of NSPN members participate. Hopefully even a good cross section of members.

Ed,

Best to let this run its course, paddlers will sort out in due time , and a trip, (or trips) will emerge: if you have issues to interject that are of of the how-we-go-about-our-business variety, post them in the business section, where I'm sure a productive discussion will arise.

I happen to agree with Ed on this topic. I feel it would be best if a person wants to join in on a trip posting to join in on the one that is posted or talk to the organizer offline and see if they are up for a different option prior to making any suggestion for another trip within the trip organizer's thread.

Just my 2 cents for all that it's worth :)

Neil

QUOTE(Kevin B @ May 20 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so anyone up for either of these trips? Paddle out of York or Kittery.

I had been planning on a trip to Cape Porpoise on the June 6th weekend and upon reflection think York is a better idea for this weekend. Potential traffic/parking issues at Colony Beach in Kennebunkport this weekend. It just happens that the marine forecast, which will no doubt change and make a liar out of me, suggests things will be a little too mellow for the run up to Cape Porpoise and journeys on outside of islands to be adequately interesting or terrifying as the case may be. So I vote for York and don't worry as Cape Porpoise opportunity is just around corner so to speak.

Don't know what route Kevin has in mind, but will make this suggestion. A trip with good variety is to go down coast from York and hit Brave Boat Harbor around high tide, go through Chauncey Creek on the ebb, out Portsmouth Harbor on the ebb, then up the coast with stops for surf and assorted nonsense as strikes one's fancy. Having a long lunch on Wood Island so the ledges are less covered on way up is not a bad idea. I seem to recall this being around 12/14NM. No shortage of places to stop and things to see so a good day on water is possible. Clockwise would be neat too as then you could lounge about as tide goes down and surf comes up at Brave Boat although I suspect the timing is bad this weekend for that route. Just my $.02.

Oh, and BTW; no bow rudders in the marsh.

Ed Lawson

Yes, Mr. Lawson -- you and your .02 worth are now adding up to about $20 worth, I think... :D

Mr. Budd: under your name there is the small matter of "unpaid member", so who cares if you agree or not? B)

Oh, I guess I'm not being very nice to Mr. Budd, am I? Well, why on earth do you not join this club again, Sir? After all, you sure do use the message board a lot!

Oh, I guess I'm not being very nice to Mr. Budd, am I? Well, why on earth do you not join this club again, Sir? After all, you sure do use the message board a lot!

Certainly, if I can be picked on for free, why ever would I pay for such a thing?

I happen to agree with Ed on this topic. I feel it would be best if a person wants to join in on a trip posting to join in on the one that is posted or talk to the organizer offline and see if they are up for a different option prior to making any suggestion for another trip within the trip organizer's thread.

Just my 2 cents for all that it's worth :)

Neil

Yeah, I agree too. My mistake for getting excited about a place I haven't been. CP will be there for a paddle another day. Don't know if I can do the York trip - depends on the time.

Ross here. Had I posted a trip for Cape Porpoise separately it would have been in conflict with my dear old friend Kevin with whom I see far too little of these days. Kevin stated his non interest in this paddle and considering that he originated this post and that I do want the pleasure of his company, I will, of course, defer to him. No problem, end of story, thats all she wrote, alls well ends well, and everyone paddled happily thereafter. Oh and BTW I would be interested in York.

Hey Ross! John here. My cell phone has been disconnected so its been tough to keep in touch. Anyways Im in need of some salt air and thus should be able to make the sunday paddle. If not sunday then maybe monday.

John

Certainly, if I can be picked on for free, why ever would I pay for such a thing?

Hey Bob,

I forgot to pay, too, and found out that one cannot START a topic without due dues paid, dude.

I'd hate to see your creative input thwarted by 15 clams.

Ern

Bob, are you one of those people who listen to Public Radio without pledging? Have you ever gotten a call from Ira Glass? Yes I agree with the distinguished Ern... Dude, I dare say, do fork over the dough that you have due (and were not talking about your hair). You will diminish and even delete the dissing, disrespect, dissent, dire discourse and droning debate that is developing. Don’t be dysfunctional, despondent, dramatic or dis-associative… I’m sure your not destitute, drowning or devoid of dinero. Due demonstrate distinction and dissolve your debt, do your duty and pay your damn dues, dude!

Ross