Boston Harbor Info

sidcohen

Hi Ya’ll,

Can someone who knows the area or part of the area of NOAA Chart, Boston Harbor, 13270 like the back of their hand, send me a private message before you respond here? Of course we can post responses here but I’d like to take it off line at least at very first. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13270.shtml

I'm interested on tips on pitfalls and were the best landing sites are for lunch and the best places to play in the water are for intermediate paddlers. If there is a tread on NSPN forums you can point me to, that would be great: let’s not re-invent the wheel. I’m doing my research with all tools available to me including this one to plan this paddle. It’s good and its safest to tap ones community of practice. With the Internet it’s world wide now.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Hi Ya’ll,

Can someone who knows the area or part of the area of NOAA Chart, Boston Harbor, 13270 like the back of their hand, send me a private message before you respond here? Of course we can post responses here but I’d like to take it off line at least at very first. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13270.shtml

I'm interested on tips on pitfalls and were the best landing sites are for lunch and the best places to play in the water are for intermediate paddlers. If there is a tread on NSPN forums you can point me to, that would be great: let’s not re-invent the wheel. I’m doing my research with all tools available to me including this one to plan this paddle. It’s good and its safest to tap ones community of practice. With the Internet it’s world wide now.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Have you checked Lisa Evans' book, Sea Kayaking the New England Coast. There are six different Boston Harbor paddles in it. There's one trip, with options, in Tamsin Venn's Sea Kayaking along the New England Coast. If you plan to paddle lots in this area, both are worth owning.

That said, Hingham Harbor is a nice, moderate, fairly protected area with a variety of paddling experiences. You do have to worry about the high speed ferry and other boat traffic, especially in mid-summer. But that's true almost everywhere in the Harbor. The usual launch is from the beach right in the middle of Hingham, preferably starting and ending above mid-tide, but OK at any level.

--David.

..... The usual launch is from the beach right in the middle of Hingham, preferably starting and ending above mid-tide, but OK at any level.

--David.

I'd argue with David that Hingham harbor isn't an ideal launch at low tide unless you like boot sucking mud. The other 2/3rds on either side of high is great, but the last hour around low is pretty thin and muddy. And yes, I learned this the hard way. Otherwise, it's a great paddle in fairly protected conditions.

Phil

"I'm interested on tips on pitfalls"

Traffic and channels, crossing from the north to the south outside the harbour mouth especially as there are two channels to cross. Dry land forming west of Great Brewster, between Great Brewster and Boston Light, and Thompson's Island and the mainland to the south so if you're returning from Heyman's Island you have a (short) portage or trip around Thompson's Island but more important a relatively poor water quality at Malibu Beach at low tide.

"the best landing sites are for lunch"

No really bad ones though I believe landing on Thompson's is discouraged and of course avoiding nesting birds and seals.

"the best places to play in the water are for intermediate paddlers"

Because of the traffic and respect for professional mariners the places where things can get interesting, e.g. Hull Gut, should be avoided.

"to plan this paddle"

(Especially when you leave the inner harbour) there are several outer islands where you can stop and reconsider venturing further. Aside from beaches mentioned consider City Point for inner harbour trips and Deer Island/Winthrop boat ramp for outer island trips.

I'd argue with David that Hingham harbor isn't an ideal launch at low tide unless you like boot sucking mud. The other 2/3rds on either side of high is great, but the last hour around low is pretty thin and muddy. And yes, I learned this the hard way. Otherwise, it's a great paddle in fairly protected conditions.

OK, touché -- I've never done it; always launched and landed at least mid tide or so. I believe you that the upper 2/3s is fine, but below that, not. Sounds like the best bet is to launch 2-3 hours or so after low, which gives you 6-8 hours to complete the trip and still land 2-3 hours before low. Or, launch 2-3 hours before low and spend at least 4-6 hours before returning.

A nice 10 nm circuit is hitting World's End (though I don't think the Trustees allow landing), Bumpkin, Allerton Point, Peddocks (watch for boat traffic coming out of Hull Gut), Sheep, Grape, Slate and back. A side trip up the Weir is nice. You could shoot through Hull Gut for Georges, Boston Light, etc, but the Gut current (up to 2 kts on the ebb) combined with boat traffic is tricky.

In my experience 1 - 1.5 hr on either side of low lets you get in & out of Hingham with little or minimal mud(at least if you launch right next to the boat ramp). You may have to follow the marked channel out of Hingham Harbor. 2 hrs allows you plenty of water; except maybe on a spring tide?

I've landed on World's End with no issue - I believe that they have been running kayak tours the past couple of season from there. The back of Worlds End on the Weir river is popular with the powerboaters - they raft up there for the whole weekend. The mouth of the Weir river can be a very busy place. You can follow the Weir river up to the large windmill(or further).

In a good sw wind at mid to low water you can get some fun waves on the sandbar at the sw corner of Grape Island; especially when the commuter boat wakes interact with the wind waves.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a great book at the Volvo Ocean Race village: "Discovering the Boston Harbor Islands" by Christopher Klein. Its got a ton of information about each of the islands. Check it out if you are interested in Boston Harbor.