Blue Chart Question

Hi all,

I was wondering specifically if garmin blue charts were capable of being visualized on the desktop computer in addition to the gps unit itself.

I currently have 2008 topo maps which I can access using "mapsource" on the desktop. I find this valuable in route planning, etc. and would not want to drop the coin without being able to view the maps off the GPS. I understand the CD can go on my computer and the SD cards can not, but going on the computer can mean many different things.

If you are able to view on the desktop, does anyone print and laminate hard copies for paddling?

Has anyone found that these charts replace their print on demand charts or are these more adjuctive?

Happy spring.

Hi all,

I was wondering specifically if garmin blue charts were capable of being visualized on the desktop computer in addition to the gps unit itself.

I currently have 2008 topo maps which I can access using "mapsource" on the desktop. I find this valuable in route planning, etc. and would not want to drop the coin without being able to view the maps off the GPS. I understand the CD can go on my computer and the SD cards can not, but going on the computer can mean many different things.

If you are able to view on the desktop, does anyone print and laminate hard copies for paddling?

Has anyone found that these charts replace their print on demand charts or are these more adjuctive?

Happy spring.

I can view my BlueChart charts on the desktop.

But be aware that these are not NOAA style charts, but graphical renditions. It's much like a MIDI tune versus an MP3. I would personally not print them and use them for navigation.

You can see what they look like in Barry's post today of the Cape Ann route -- http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5797&hl=

Of course, that's a pretty big scale -- they do get more detailed as you zoom in. Here's one with a somewhat closer scale -- http://bit.ly/17gQ74

--David.

David,

Are you planning on doing the Minot light trip again ? That looks like a great trip.

I like the MapSource software for planning, what is probably most useful is the ability to create a route and then send it to the gps as a set of waypoints. In general creating and managing a set of way points on the computer is much more convenient than on the device. I dont find the map display on the gps to be much use on the water as the display is too small (and although it is supposedly water resistant I keep it in a clear dry bag); instead I like to know speed, distance covered and distance and bearing to next waypoint.

Barry.

does anyone print and laminate hard copies for paddling?

I like to have the paper NOAA charts for dreaming at home aqs opposed to looking at them on a computer screen. I have a set of 11x17 laminated copies of all areas of interest which I take with me on the water. I mark up the copies before laminating by adding compass roses and distance scales. You can get NOAA charts online for free and you can get viewers online for free as well that include trip planning and printing tools. These work for my simple needs, but I do get envious at times of those who can prepare neat charts of their paddle routes and share them here.

BTW, never let any copy center folk give grief over copying NOAA charts...no copyright issues with Federal publications. I also have a white laminated sheet which I use to scribble data for the day such as tides, currents, etc. You can use Sharpie pen on laminated sheets for nav info and erase later. Normally overkill on typical day paddle, but if you are where the fog bank can come in fast; they are nice to have all set up with courses.

Ed Lawson

...does anyone print and laminate hard copies for paddling?

yes-handy to have smaller sections of charts at 8.5 X 11 size. Remember to put 2 maps back to back, as you pay the same price/lamination. I find it helpful to draw in parallel magnetic North lines, separated by a distance equal to N nautical miles, depending on the scale.

I'll also assign letter designations to different landmarks or aids to navigation, and record their waypoints on a non-critical area of the chart. Related, but somewhat OT, I'll "sharpie" tide information directly on deck before embarking on multi-day excursions.