Dry Suit latex

Gcosloy

I think I may have developed an allergy to latex. Is there a manufacturer of Drysuits where the seals are hypoallergenic?

I don't know the answer to your question though I've never seen anything other than latex for dry suits and neo for semi-dry stuff. I suspect the neo wouldn't be much better but you could try it. Something you might try is coating your epidermis with silicone grease where the latex comes in contact. It forms a reasonable barrier and might alleviate the problem at least somewhat.

I think I may have developed an allergy to latex. Is there a manufacturer of Drysuits where the seals are hypoallergenic?

The Stohlquist Body Pod drysuit has a neoprene neck gasket, but still has latex wrist gaskets. There are silicone cremes that divers use (available in dive shops and on -line) that could create a suitable skin barrier and alleviate skin troubles, for just wrists or wrists and neck.

The silicone grease is definitely worth a try before buying new gear. I had a rash on my neck once, but it was temporary and didn't turn out to be a permanent reaction to latex, and I've heard others say the same.

http://www.stohlquist.com/dyn_prod.php?k=&p=STO56501

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSG125.ht...%3don%26Hit%3d1

Thanks-the problem may remain academic for this season at least. I expect to switch to wet suit and paddle jacket soon. Neoprene doesn't seem to be a problem. I think it is synthetic. Its the natural rubber in latex that causes the problem.

Gene - question for you, are you getting a reaction on both your wrists and neck? If just neck, I would question ANY changes you may have done.

Sounds strange but long story and no time to write it but a few years ago the formulation on my face lotion changed. I went for months with what I thought must be a latex allergy. Finally had to go on steroids to calm it down and then used my face lotion (on face and neck) again and sure enough - same reaction. Stopped the face lotion and I no longer have any problems. Took me awhile to figure it out and as it was just my neck, I would use a Buff scarf to protect my neck from touching the latex.

What I wonder is if you are putting sunscreen (or some other product) on at home on your neck and it is causing the reaction. If just your neck, that might be the case.

Check the gasket to make sure it still feels slick and smooth. If starting to "go" they get sticky edges and this can irritate your neck.

Suz

Gene - question for you, are you getting a reaction on both your wrists and neck? If just neck, I would question ANY changes you may have done.

Sounds strange but long story and no time to write it but a few years ago the formulation on my face lotion changed. I went for months with what I thought must be a latex allergy. Finally had to go on steroids to calm it down and then used my face lotion (on face and neck) again and sure enough - same reaction. Stopped the face lotion and I no longer have any problems. Took me awhile to figure it out and as it was just my neck, I would use a Buff scarf to protect my neck from touching the latex.

What I wonder is if you are putting sunscreen (or some other product) on at home on your neck and it is causing the reaction. If just your neck, that might be the case.

Check the gasket to make sure it still feels slick and smooth. If starting to "go" they get sticky edges and this can irritate your neck.

Suz

Neck not an issue since my only experience is with the Super Nova and a Tropos top with neo necks. Both the suit and the top have latex wrist seals and I'm getting an itchy rash on my wrists spreading to the base of my hands and half way up my arms. During last month I washed my boats and cars using heavy latex gloves because of the cold water and developed a rash and swelling of both hands. Taking an antihistamine like Claratin was helpful.

Neck not an issue since my only experience is with the Super Nova and a Tropos top with neo necks. Both the suit and the top have latex wrist seals and I'm getting an itchy rash on my wrists spreading to the base of my hands and half way up my arms. During last month I washed my boats and cars using heavy latex gloves because of the cold water and developed a rash and swelling of both hands. Taking an antihistamine like Claratin was helpful.

Yep - sounds like you have developed a latex allergy.

Another option may be a Reeds suit - although I am not sure what they use on the wrists...

Suz

Yep - sounds like you have developed a latex allergy.

Another option may be a Reeds suit - although I am not sure what they use on the wrists...

Suz

Gene,

I second Suz: it sounds like a latex allergy to me.

Here's the link to Reed ChillCheater: www.rockpool.reednorthamerica.com/index.php/Dry-Cags/Top-Decks/View-all-products

The dealer for these products is Chris Mitchell at Second Wind Sports. You might want to email him for pricing/sizing as Reed runs small but I can attest to the quality and comfort.

Chris is also a great guy and coach -- he got me comfortable on "my other side" for rolling -- and knows his product.

Deb M :surfcool::roll:

Thanks Suz & Deb-The Reeds online site shows "paddle suits" which do not use latex for neck or wrist seals but are not recommended for extended immersion. Seems like their version of the semi-dry. They apparently don't sell a full dry suit! NRS sells a wet jacket 2mm neo which perhaps over a 3mm farmer john may be sufficient for short immersion in current water temps. I never go out solo in cold water but do like to practice rescues and surf.

Gene-

I have no idea how well this would work for kayaking, but they sell "nitrile" gloves for personal protection (chemical/biohazard) that are latex allergen free. We're encouraged to use them in labs to minimize the chance of getting latex allergies (which can be really problematic if severe). I'd bet that you could use these as a surface layer under the drysuit gasket and they would protect the skin. Let me know your hand size (small, medium, etc) and I'll see if I can "borrow" a few pair.

Phil

Gene-

I have no idea how well this would work for kayaking, but they sell "nitrile" gloves for personal protection (chemical/biohazard) that are latex allergen free. We're encouraged to use them in labs to minimize the chance of getting latex allergies (which can be really problematic if severe). I'd bet that you could use these as a surface layer under the drysuit gasket and they would protect the skin. Let me know your hand size (small, medium, etc) and I'll see if I can "borrow" a few pair.

Phil

Thanks for the thought Phil. I'm about a medium. Problem is however is the latex cuff is tight around the wrist for about 3 inches and then balloons out another three inches up the middle of the forearm.