Are there any Kayak groups on Cape Cod?

just wondering--googled for kayak groups, similar to our own down there, but came up with nothing. interested in going out with people down there. thanks.

alex

Wild turkey paddlers might be the closest ones. Some of them were at the REI demo day on Saturday.

okay. i'm interested in seeing the whales down there now--70 right whales near shore in the bay, and humpback and fin whales just off race point, as in a couple hundred feet off race point. Of course, you have to keep the regulated distance away, but they would be very cool to see. any interest in seeing them?

Of course, you have to keep the regulated distance away...

I think you'd want to do that for your own sake and safety. Of course, whales do move around, and as intelligent as they are, I doubt if they have read the regulations about how far whales are supposed to stay from kayakers!

Also, anybody know if it's OK to launch from Race Point Beach? http://bit.ly/e3Gk1 Otherwise, it's a long paddle from PTown, like 7 nm each way I believe.

--David.

okay. i'm interested in seeing the whales down there now--70 right whales near shore in the bay, and humpback and fin whales just off race point, as in a couple hundred feet off race point. Of course, you have to keep the regulated distance away, but they would be very cool to see. any interest in seeing them?

I would love to do that. How easy is it to pinpoint exactly where the whales will be? The last time I did a whale watch, the boat would spot a group of whales 10 miles away and power over to them. That isn't really practical in a kayak. I guess you can just play the odds and hope they are were you plan to paddle.

<...boat would spot a group of whales 10 miles away and power over to them. That isn't really practical in a kayak...>

Marc, why not? You just need to practise your forward stroke! :lol:

Alex, you need to contact Brian Nystrom -- he and Linda paddle down there (Linda lives on the Cape, near Falmouth, as far as I remember). There is also Michael Brokensha, who may not be an NSPNer anymore; but the three of them paddle together in that neck of the woods.

cool. thanks for the names

on the whale spotting, humpbacks were within 100 yards of race point light last week, just hanging out there. must have been a krill school or someting there of great interest to them. I'm thinking to see what sources are available on the web--might be a woodshole site or something that keeps track of them and their location. Also, you could just drive down there and scan the shore up and down with binoculars at various turn offs, and see if you can spot then. then drive to the nearest parking lot....

cool. thanks for the names

on the whale spotting, humpbacks were within 100 yards of race point light last week, just hanging out there. must have been a krill school or someting there of great interest to them. I'm thinking to see what sources are available on the web--might be a woodshole site or something that keeps track of them and their location. Also, you could just drive down there and scan the shore up and down with binoculars at various turn offs, and see if you can spot then. then drive to the nearest parking lot....

Race Point is part of the Cape Cod National Seashore. I'm sure if you google the National Park Service you can come up with some more info.

As for what may or may not be going on with the whales in the area, Stormy Mayo is the whale expert and, I believe, is still affiliated with the Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies. www.coastalstudies.org.

I think I'd rather view the humpbacks from the deck of a large boat and not from the cockpit of my RomanyLV. Safer for me and definitely safer and non-harassing for the whales, who, as DJ pointed out, aren't required to follow federal regulations for viewing. :D

Deb M

:roll::surfcool:

I am new to the board ( I read it everyday but don't post much) and paddle in the waters around the Cape. You can launch from Herring Cove Beach parking lot or by the Old Harbor Life Saving Building/beach. The whales were close, but I have have not seen them kayak close to the beach in the past days (I am lucky enough to work at the Seashore). If you are looking to paddle in the local area, give me a email. I planning to paddle around the Cod in mid-May and as of now, it's solo. I normally paddle solo, but I partners are welcomed. Here is my website for www.ice2009.com.

hey justin--just tried to shoot you and email from here, but didn't work. Me and a bud are heading down there tomorrow. should be around orleans at around 1 pm. You can shoot me an email at tacomakayaker@yahoo.com. Like to talk...

inter coastal waterway--a dream of mine too

alex

I have a house down there and frequently do trips around there. The Woods Hole to Cuttyhunk round trip has been on my trip for a number of years - if you do it when the tides are right, you can squeeze it into one day.

hey john--as bob said--do you have any recs on layman books about the weather? i'm interested in where winds come from, how the global system and the local systems work to give us the winds we kayakers are so attuned to. i've read about hadley cells, polar fronts, and all that but haven't made any sense of it yet...the same questions about currents. It would be great to be able to look at the sky and figure out what's going on up there from the clouds, and what weather and wind is on the way...

thanks.

alex

tacomakayaker@yahoo.com

Try this website:

http://huhepl.harvard.edu/~huth/Primitive%20Navigation.html

I'm teaching a course called "Primitive Navigation" - right now there are mostly power point presentations on it. You can download the presentations from there.

I'm also working on a book based on the course, but the book's only in its infancy. You can see a talk on weather and another one on waves, tides and currents. Let me know if it's useful.

We've been talking about an on-water version of the course, and I have to confess to be remiss in trying to come up with a definitive schedule. Peter Brady wrote to me, and I *really* have to get back to him on this. I've just been busy with end-of-semester work.