Dry Breakers (or, Who is watching Who?)

Scott Lundquist

On a brilliantly sunny day with low winds and gentle swells, five of us (Gene, Sid, Leon, new member Brian Sharp, and me) launched from Tucks Point and headed around Baker Isl. for the Dry Breakers, hoping to spy on some seals. As we approached the rocks, it first seemed we were to be disappointed, as there were no seals hauled out -- but then surprise! Within 10-15 yards of us black heads started popping out, taking a good look at us, and then vanishing, to reappear a few moments later. (See middle photo.) They did not seemed troubled, just curious (a relief, as none of us wanted to disturb the wildlife), and we enjoyed their company for fifteen minutes or so, before heading on our way -- a straight shot over to Singing Beach for lunch with a few picnickers and dog walkers (v. different from the summer crowds). Brian and I needed to head back home before 3:30pm, so the guys graciously accompanied us back to the entrance to Tucks, and then did some more paddling (towards Misery I think). Thanks guys, it made a very memorable outing for me, I can't wait to get back!

post-100955-1239760560_thumb.jpg

post-100955-1239760583_thumb.jpg

post-100955-1239760595_thumb.jpg

Hey Brian, I see that you haven't activated your ability to receive messages from other NSPN members. If you turn it on I'll send you the message I drafted, incl. a link to a gear list...

On a brilliantly sunny day with low winds and gentle swells, five of us (Gene, Sid, Leon, new member Brian Sharp, and me) launched from Tucks Point and headed around Baker Isl. for the Dry Breakers, hoping to spy on some seals.

Next time the seals are in the water try paddling backwards. Good practice and they are prone to following you.

My experience has been that if you look directly at them they are apt to dive. Looking askance doesn't seem to bother them. After we left the Dry Breakers on a heading for Singing Beach some did follow for a couple of miles.

My experience has been that if you look directly at them they are apt to dive. Looking askance doesn't seem to bother them. After we left the Dry Breakers on a heading for Singing Beach some did follow for a couple of miles.

fyi

harbor seals (what we mostly have round here) pup late spring/early summer....when we paddle up to them, they haul off and dive into the chilly water and it may stress newborns / young pups. you may consider giving them a wide enough berth come puppnig season that they stay on the nice warm rocks....few hundred yards. of course actually seeing them in time to give them distance is it's own problem!

meantime...glad you had fun!