Kayak rental Info in St Thomas ???

Ken C

I'll be in St Thomas early May for my daughters wedding and am wondering if anyone has any info on decent rentals there. I've started googling and seem to find only the typical tourist garbage. You know guided tours on sit on tops... If anyone has any knowledge of a local shop in that area i would really appreciate a heads up.

I'm just looking to get out for an afternoon or 2 if there is a shop in the area.

Thank You,

Ken

I'll be in St Thomas early May for my daughters wedding and am wondering if anyone has any info on decent rentals there. I've started googling and seem to find only the typical tourist garbage. You know guided tours on sit on tops... If anyone has any knowledge of a local shop in that area i would really appreciate a heads up.

I'm just looking to get out for an afternoon or 2 if there is a shop in the area.

Thank You,

Ken

hi ken -

daughters wedding? i thought we were about the same age but clearly, you have to be MUCH, MUCH older than i am.

lived in st thomas for awhile...before i contracted this lingering and delightful kayak malady and the only place i've seen advert since then is an outfit called arawak - and yeah, typical tourista sot crap and not too much what you're looking to do...

that being said, screw paddling...bring a mask/snorkel/fins and use the sot as a platform only to reach some of the reefs! the diving is amazing - we used to do full moon night dives offa the cartenser there (sunk off of buck island) and the dive light was optional in the 40 foot depth. dark? yah! other side of the moon dark? nope....mind you if you dive into the wreck and shut off the light you'll have a new appreciation for the term dark.

coki beach...head out along the reef that runs longside the little aquarium building and in about 40-50 feet of water there is an enormous barrel sponge...can't imagine it's gotten any smaller in the 16 odd years! used to dive down and stick my head/shoulders into it...

and i seem to recall that there was a tunnel through the reef at...bolongo bay? you's take a big ole gulp, swim down and then worm your way through the little cavern...take a big gulp!

if you do go...bring dry dog food in a ziploc bag and feed the fish as you go...they'll swarm you to get the chow.

and don't forget the mandatory photo op from drakes seat overlooking magens bay....the bay ain't much to dive in but is sure is a lovely beach....and the waitresses bring you little drinks with umbrella's, bless their bikini'd, heart shaped bottoms.

and don't go farther inland on foot downtown than about 3 blocks.

hi ken -

daughters wedding? i thought we were about the same age but clearly, you have to be MUCH, MUCH older than i am.

lived in st thomas for awhile...before i contracted this lingering and delightful kayak malady and the only place i've seen advert since then is an outfit called arawak - and yeah, typical tourista sot crap and not too much what you're looking to do...

that being said, screw paddling...bring a mask/snorkel/fins and use the sot as a platform only to reach some of the reefs! the diving is amazing - we used to do full moon night dives offa the cartenser there (sunk off of buck island) and the dive light was optional in the 40 foot depth. dark? yah! other side of the moon dark? nope....mind you if you dive into the wreck and shut off the light you'll have a new appreciation for the term dark.

coki beach...head out along the reef that runs longside the little aquarium building and in about 40-50 feet of water there is an enormous barrel sponge...can't imagine it's gotten any smaller in the 16 odd years! used to dive down and stick my head/shoulders into it...

and i seem to recall that there was a tunnel through the reef at...bolongo bay? you's take a big ole gulp, swim down and then worm your way through the little cavern...take a big gulp!

if you do go...bring dry dog food in a ziploc bag and feed the fish as you go...they'll swarm you to get the chow.

and don't forget the mandatory photo op from drakes seat overlooking magens bay....the bay ain't much to dive in but is sure is a lovely beach....and the waitresses bring you little drinks with umbrella's, bless their bikini'd, heart shaped bottoms.

and don't go farther inland on foot downtown than about 3 blocks.

Hey Rick,

LOL!! Yup My son got married last year, and this year my daughter is out of my wallet, er, eh, opps, i mean getting married. Should be a nice time.

Thanks so much for the local info. Were at Saphire Beach Resort and i've already been to the local dive shop and geared up with a good fitting mask, fins etc to bring down. That was pretty much my fall back plan. Coki is right up the road and Bolongo down the road a bit. Been a long time since i've been there but will definately look up your suggestions.

The wife found a hike, kayak and snorkel in Cass Cay as part of an Eco Tour Group so we'll see, sounds like it may be fun. She revoked my guide license years ago when i took her up Beehive on Mt Desert. Since then my adventures receive a suspicious eye :-), ie she don't trust me !

LOL, Yea i learned my lesson about where and where NOT to travel on my last visit there many years ago. I had rented a motorcycle to tour the island on my own. LOL Opps, talk about an errie feeling finding myself where i really should not have been!

Thanks again Rick..

Ken, you'll probably find SOTs at most of the touristy hotels/resorts on St. Thomas. The other option would be to take the ferry over to St. John and check out Arawak Expeditions.

Arawak Expeditions

Don't know if they still do rentals but it might be worth checking out.

Have fun!

I wouldn't be too sure about the status of the local coral reefs being the same, Rick: do you <know> what is happening to coral around the world at present? It's nothing short of horrific...

Thank You,

Ken

Hi Ken - a group of NSPNers went down to Maho Bay on St. John. I arranged to have some kayaks delivered from St Thomas. They were bathtubs but not sit on tops.

I'll try to dig up the contact info for you. When do you leave?

Karen

Oddly enough Carl and Karen, a daytrip or 2 to St John was in the plans. I'm trying to keep things simple and do it as a group thing so may just do one of the Eco type outings. The Hike, Dive, Kayak, seemed to get a thumbs up. I guess i can suck it up and be a tourist for a day!

Christopher, i promise i will NOT do anything to contribute to the coral problem.

Thanks again all...

K

Oddly enough Carl and Karen, a daytrip or 2 to St John was in the plans. I'm trying to keep things simple and do it as a group thing so may just do one of the Eco type outings. The Hike, Dive, Kayak, seemed to get a thumbs up. I guess i can suck it up and be a tourist for a day!

Christopher, i promise i will NOT do anything to contribute to the coral problem.

Thanks again all...

K

Ken... St. Thomas and St. John are totally different worlds just a couple of miles apart. I suspect you'll find St. John the better of the worlds ;-)

-

Just returned from St. John. Many of the reefs and coral are in bad shape. I use to dive around the SF Drake 20 years ago. Only snorkeled a bit this time. The Caves and Haulover Bay were hardly worth it. Word had it that the Indians are good. Word of mouth suggested that many sites are not what they use to be due to increased water temperature and too many tourons (combination of tourist and moron = yes we were tourons). Others we ran into said paying the money to take boats to less used locations was worth it.

Al

Just returned from St. John. Many of the reefs and coral are in bad shape. I use to dive around the SF Drake 20 years ago. Only snorkeled a bit this time. The Caves and Haulover Bay were hardly worth it. Word had it that the Indians are good. Word of mouth suggested that many sites are not what they use to be due to increased water temperature and too many tourons (combination of tourist and moron = yes we were tourons). Others we ran into said paying the money to take boats to less used locations was worth it.

Al

have there been any movies where little green men take a look at the planet from space and come to the conclusion that we're an infestation? a destructive force that will enventually just leave nothing in our wake? was that the theme of that war of the worlds re-make i didnt' see?

quick, someone tell me something re-affirming about or species.

Just returned from St. John. Many of the reefs and coral are in bad shape.

The last time I was diving in the BVI (next door to USVI) was three years ago and the reefs were in great shape. The stern section of the wreck of the RMS Rhone (a very famous and cool wreck) is at a depth accessible to snorklers. I don't know if there are any direct trips from St. Thomas of if you would need to take a ferry to Tortola and take a dive boat there. But if snorkeling in the USVI is in poor shape, a day trip to the BVI might be a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Rhone

Ralph

Thanks again all...

K

Ken - so does this mean you are going to engage an outfitter to do the eco-outing? I am happy to help out but please let me know because it will take me some deep digging to find the name of the place i rented the kayaks from.

I wholly agree with Carl regarding the two islands. I have some nautical charts of the area and we did some fantastic paddles from Maho Bay to snorkel, tour historic sugaring sites and just hang on the beach.

I was in St John last year and Arawak does not rent kayaks anymore they only do tours.

But we did rent kayaks at Cinnamon bay, they rent some older type rec touring and a variety of sit on tops. We went with the SOT, the water is 85 deg. and the air is around 90 deg, they also rent surf boards and a large selection of wind surfers.

Bill H

Ken - so does this mean you are going to engage an outfitter to do the eco-outing? I am happy to help out but please let me know because it will take me some deep digging to find the name of the place i rented the kayaks from.

I wholly agree with Carl regarding the two islands. I have some nautical charts of the area and we did some fantastic paddles from Maho Bay to snorkel, tour historic sugaring sites and just hang on the beach.

Karen,

We'll most likely just do an Outfitter Hike, Bike, kayak deal one day, maybe 2 on St John. My wife, son and daughter in law are more comfy with that. They do not have much paddling experience so a guided trip will let them enjoy instead of wondering what hell i might lead them into :o

I think that with some snorkeling, sailing, poking agound, and beach vegging will round thnigs out.

Thanks again all...

Ken.

Don't know if you are planning to do the "Reef Bay Trail" on St. John. If you are considering it, make reservations for the return boat trip well before you plan to go down. We tried to book a couple of seats when we arrived and were told it was booked for a couple of weeks...of course that was high season.

Also, just to add to my earlier comments: Just spoke to a friend that bare boats out of Tortola every February. She said that the caves are great for snorkeling if you get there first thing in the morning. By the time most people get there the tour boats have driven the fish away. My friend usuall goes at 7-7:30 AM, but that may be too early for your family.

Have a great trip.

Al