VHF Radio Bargain

EEL

I think it fair to say a recent event has shown the value of having a VHF radio.

Definitely a good item to have. I noticed that Standard has updated the HX270S with a LiION battery and, as a result, the the earlier version with the MiMH battery is being discounted heavily. Hamilton Marine in Maine is selling them for $75. I'm sure similar bargains are around. At that price hard to justify not having a radio. OK, its not the smallest or lightest, but it is a very solid unit with excellent performance and you get AC and car charging setup along with a AA battery case useful for long trips. Something to think about getting until the DSC/GPS radios become more available if you are in the market for a radio. This radio is not related to the models which have a bad rep. in the club other than made by Standard.a

Ed Lawson

VHF Radio is definitely a useful tool but you need to know how to use it and to have it available when needed. The protocol is not difficult to learn and is important to use correctly. I carry a radio in a bag on the deck, not much use if I'm separated from my boat, but more affordable. I also carry a spare set of batteries. The safest place is probably on the PFD, wherein a waterproof model is needed. Note that there are waterproof models and there are waterproof models, i.e. they may work fine until they are wet, exposed to spray, submerged, etc. Notable problems are garbled to inaudible speaker, wet/dead batteries, and water penetration causing malfunction and/or damage. (Based upon experience) immersion rating to a reasonable depth may or may not be a good indicator of how a radio will perform in the elements. When you get back home take the radio out/apart to the appropriate degree, rinse with fresh water, and allow to dry while (spearately) monitoring/recharging/replacing the batteries. This message board has been a good place to ask after "your results may vary" for a particular model, though the list of replies may grow beyond your initial expectations.

VHF Radio is definitely a useful tool but you need to know how to use it and to have it available when needed. The protocol is not difficult to learn and is important to use correctly. I carry a radio in a bag on the deck, not much use if I'm separated from my boat, but more affordable.

Do you do a radio check before heading out?