Necky Chatham 17???

jdoyle

Any thoughts on a Necky Chatham 17? I've seen one on Craigslist for $1280 including composite paddle, skirt and a few extras. I'm 6'2" 250. The reviews I've read are very positive and sounds like the size would work for me.

Thanks - John

Any thoughts on a Necky Chatham 17? I've seen one on Craigslist for $1280 including composite paddle, skirt and a few extras. I'm 6'2" 250. The reviews I've read are very positive and sounds like the size would work for me.

Thanks - John

I'm a proud owner of a Chatham 17 and 1280 for the boat paddle and skirt sounds like a steal. But, here's the thing, I'm 5'11" and 175 and the boat fits me like a glove. The foot and thigh braces are adjustable so you might find a way to make the boat comfortable for you but, at least sit in it to see how it feels for you before you drop the cash. If your feet are large like mine, the fit might be a little tight. Maybe that's something you could get used to. Maybe not. As far as performance is concerned, the boat tracks insanely straight and paddling in flat conditions is almost effortless. From my limited experience in rough and windy conditions ( I've only had the boat for a couple of months ) it's even better. The low deck means not much storage space in the hatches so, if you're plannig on doing multi-day tours pack smart. If you try the boat on and find that it works for you, I'm sure you love it. Other wise you may want to look at a slightly larger volume boat. Either way, best of luck to you.

Two years ago I tried the Chatham 17 & the Tempest 17 at Charles river. I spent more time in the Tempest because the metal footpegs on the Chatham were frozen and couldn't be moved.

The Chatham was comfortable for me but there was less freeboard than the Tempest. I ended up with a used Tempest. I've been happy with it; but I also think that it may not be the boat for me long term.

Last year the REI in Reading & Hingham did have a some new/leftover Chatham 17 for under $1k.

The Chatham 17 is a very nice boat. Performance is similar to the Impex Force 4. Both boats need to be strongly edged to change direction. They both like to go straight. Unlike the Impex the Chatham has stronger secondary stability and would be more reassuring in beam and following seas. I had a composite one for a season and a half and sold it when I got my Explorer. I am 175lbs. and think the ideal weight for the 17 is about 200. You might consider the Impex Assateuge which is probably better for your weight class.

Thanks - John

John:

Being you're a large paddler, perhaps the Assateague's for sale on our classified boards might be a good option.

The Chatham 17 is a very nice boat. Performance is similar to the Impex Force 4. Both boats need to be strongly edged to change direction. They both like to go straight. Unlike the Impex the Chatham has stronger secondary stability and would be more reassuring in beam and following seas. I had a composite one for a season and a half and sold it when I got my Explorer. I am 175lbs. and think the ideal weight for the 17 is about 200. You might consider the Impex Assateuge which is probably better for your weight class.

Hi Gene.

I disagree, finding the Force4/5 MUCH faster, quieter, and requiring not edging but just a stroke to initiate a turn. Perhaps the Chatham tracks straighter in following seas, but I doubt it does otherwise.

Ah well. See ya soon.

Ern

Hi Gene.

I disagree, finding the Force4/5 MUCH faster, quieter, and requiring not edging but just a stroke to initiate a turn. Perhaps the Chatham tracks straighter in following seas, but I doubt it does otherwise.

Ah well. See ya soon.

Ern

Maybe that's why I have trouble keeping up with you Ern.