Classes and Courses

Ben Fuller

So as not to lose what can be gained from this thread I return to the original question "Do the coaches have a product that no one wants? How can it be modified to be better?" There were suggestions/hints for the suppliers.

1.) I think it has a lot to do with what people are looking for out of kayaking. It's a very small percentage of sea kayakers who really aspire to be at the level of BCU 4 and 5. It's my belief that most people want to enjoy "fair weather" kayaking safely and are content with that. So they take a few basic courses and in NSPN, attend skills sessions. The combination of those two things probably fulfill the desires of the majority of recreational sea kayakers.

2.) BCU or ACA certified...It is a major time commitment to learn this...probably too much for someone who does not want to teach professionally?

3.) Local, shorter classes ... or ones that met certain evenings of the week every week for a period, etc. might indeed be helpful.

Mr. Bergh was mentioned as encouraging participation in NSPN. "Tom Bergh...suggested I became a member of NSPN in order to find paddling partners and to learn at the skill sessions." I think this sort of cooperation between suppliers and this and other clubs is the best for all. In the past the view that NSPN is hurting outfitters, etc. has been expressed. If you read this thread, and ignore the arguments, you will find evidence of the benefit of this cooperation.

Club instructional benefits were also mentioned. "From the various benefits that NSPN offers, the one that stands out on the educational side is the ability, as a club, to organize tailored instruction...I hope you guys will continue organizing more training weekends like that, it supports our instructors and it jives with what the club is about."

As for "...controversies...have driven a large number of NSPN's volunteers away...That is what bothers me." this is a recurring thread that I hope can be healed by maintaining a positive spin on the board and in the various governance functions of general meetings, board meetings, etc. It would be best if those driven away would get over it and return to leading trips or at least organizing SNGs.

2.) BCU or ACA certified...It is a major time commitment to learn this...probably too much for someone who does not want to teach professionally?

I agree there is a significant time committment here, but I know many folks who have persued one or more of these certifications but without the intention of teaching commercially. Note, the ACA certifications are principally teaching certifications, where the BCU certifications are both paddler and coach.

One advantage of a club like NSPN is that it helps educate paddlers and its members to the advantages and benefits of more advanced instruction and training (NSPN trip leader training is right up there with what some professional guide courses offer). Bringing that instruction to where folks live or making it more readily available makes it that much more likely that they'll know about it and be able to take it.

Having spoken and worked with outside instructors who have taught NSPN classes, I hear consistently that the quality of the paddlers, their willingness to learn and committment to the sport, exceeds that which they see in classes they teach elsewhere. I experienced that first hand recently when assisting two Instructor Trainers in teaching an ACA IDW in another part of the country. I was surprised at the skill level compared to what I was used to seeing and was told by the ITs that it was fairly typical and that NSPN was unusually good.

In my experience with group instruction, a committed good quality group raises the level of teaching and learning for everyone there. I believe that is one reason why NSPN classes, skill and pool sessions are so valuable and why I feel privileged to have participated in and taught many of them over the years.

I noted several comments in this thread about the time committment of driving to Maine. I believe that is a real factor when you put together the cost of gas, lodging, time, etc. When the economy is soft, the attractiveness of going all that way diminishes. I couldn't come, but one of the things that I believe made the MIKCO weekend appealing was that not only was instruction made available, but how the whole thing was arranged, including the location and camping with a group. For those of us with busy lives, those details can make the difference between participating and staying home.

Jill

I think that what we're seeing is just a "maturing" of the kayak trend. When sea kayaking seemed to really take off (98'-00')some of those folks aspired to reach certain levels of ACA/BCU certification. They have had 5-6 years to move up through various training,and many have become impressive,skilled paddlers. Many others are content to paddle at a less strenuous intermediate level-nothing wrong with that.

While kayaking is still a growing trend,I wonder how much of that growth is in the upper end of sea kayaking-the folks who need and seek skills and instruction.

It seems like the "serious" paddling community in New England is probably a lot less people than one would guess. Seems like we're always running into folks that we know,no matter where we paddle.

It would be interesting to know how many BCU 3-4 and five Star Awards have been given,as well as ACA Certificates,and how many were given in a particular year.

It would also be interesting to know how many higher end(say $1500 and up) were sold in New England year by year for the past 6 yrs.

Maybe this would point out a trend.

As to NSPN competing with outfitters-it's just the opposite. I think NSPN with it's inclination towards kayak safety,points out the neccesity of good paddling skills to members,particularly new paddlers.

This would make for more safety minded new paddlers,seeking instruction from various outfitters.

As for the distance being a factor for courses,I wonder if it's more about committment,than economy. I just drove over 100 miles to take a course with Wayne Horodowich,and drove home really late that night. It was just that important to me. Maybe it's the numbers of really committed paddlers that's decreasing,as the trend levels off,and the paddling community "matures"

As Mike Crouse pointed out,this is about something we enjoy in common,so let's just remain friends in the paddling community-and get out on the water!

This might be something for NSPN and outfitters to explore together.

I have had a number of conversations with members recently about "international" trips, or extended kayak camping trips. Such undertakings either involve going with an outfitter or a really broad skill set: planning, navigation, weather, and paddling skills, etc.

Perhaps NSPN and outfitters could put together a series of classes leading up to taking a major trip together.

Personally, I really prefer paddling with people I know so going on a trip to Baffin Island, Newfoundland or the Shetlands, or Alaska, etc. with an NSPN group would be great.

Liz N.

One of the ideas that you might want to try as a club is a RFP to ACA /BCU instructors and coachs etc. See what the instructional community can create that would work for club members rather than have the instructional community set up some courses and hope that people sign up. 1/2 day, full day, weekend, at your backyard or at the instructors.... You could for example organize an advanced strokes course as an afternoon evening and morning affair instead of the way that it is usually taught as a full day. ( Use the evening to review stroke video)

Meanwhile I have been encouraging Maine Association of Sea Kayak Guide and Outfitters to start posting more advanced opportunities to club web sites.

Some of the most effective classes I have led have been merely two to four people camping even for a night or two not to look around rather as a course.

I think that any of the folks that work in some of the more esoteric areas would be interested in putting on a club oriented instructional trip. I know that some of the Maine folks have been scouting Newfoundand with that in mind.

I think Liz and Ben have the makings of a great idea here. Personally, I'd love to be take expedition training that culminates in a trip to Newfoundland or such with a group of known quantities who've gone through the same training together.

So, if others are interested, I'd be glad to draft an RFP and submit it to several outfitters. So, to get things started, let me know if you're interested, and, more specifically, what kind of training/trip you'd be interested in. You can reply to this message or send an email to tom@casepeople.com.

Cheers, Tom Casey

tom@casepeople.com

PS. While I know this wasn't Ben's intention, I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to mention what an outstanding guide/instructor Ben is. Several years ago I took a day trip with Ben from Rockport to Camden. You won't find a more knowledgeable or gracious guide.

Just a note on paddling in Shetland. We found that the skills we've acquired were more than adequate for the conditions we encountered. Although there were many coastal features there that we don't have here, the water conditions were quite similar. However, hooking up with local paddlers as guides was definitely beneficial and a lot of fun, too.

The challenge with Shetland is with gear; you have to bring nearly everything. There are no dealers, outfitters or rental boats. Fortunately, by joining the Shetland Canoe Club, we were able to borrow boats from their fleet of VCP Skerry RMs and Avocet RMs. They suited us fine (Linda, Scott and I preferred the Skerrys and their small cockpits were what Linda and I are used to) and they're ideal for the conditions there (maneuverable and durable). They also have paddles (low-end, feathered, one-piece Lendals) and PFDs, though the three of us brought our own.

The other major challenge is dealing with British Airways abysmal baggage handling. All of us had bags that arrived late, so leaving an extra day at the beginning of the trip is a good idea. Fortunately, the generosity of other paddlers with spare gear and clothing compensated where necessary. To their credit, the BA staff in Shetland was very helpful and our bags were delivered as soon as they arrived. Linda and I are still waiting for four of six bags we checked on the way back. Of course, they're the ones with all the gear and paddles. Sadly, the BA staff here in the US is useless and unhelpful. Arrrgh!

>So, if others are interested, I'd be glad to draft an RFP

>and submit it to several outfitters. So, to get things

>started, let me know if you're interested, and, more

>specifically, what kind of training/trip you'd be interested

>in. You can reply to this message or send an email to

>tom@casepeople.com.

This is what makes NSPN work: people who step up and move a project forward.

Tom: I am starting a new thread on this idea to make sure people see it and get some more detailed suggestions on what people might be interested in. (Some folks may have stopped reading this thread.) Please reply to it with your contact info. I'll be glad to work on this with you.

Liz N.