Maine on Sunday 2/22

rossjb1

Ed here is your chance.

You expect a timid woodland creature to go paddling with people who patch holes in their boat with duct tape, BEFORE launching? <g>

I will check tides, but think they are off by a few hours for Porpoise....especially for a civilized launch time and paddling up from Kennebunckport.

Ed Lawson

I'd like to appreciate what the tide implications are for Cape Porpoise. The launch site behind the Colony Inn should be launchable and landable at most any time. As I recall (at work right now - will look at the chart again tonight) the main attractions offshore would be accessible, if a bit smaller, at most any tide. You're the "Mainer", thanks in advance. This paddler considers Popham too far (from Beverly) for a day trip.

You can launch from Kennebunkport at any tide...true. But, once you get up to Cape Porpoise, if it is closer to low tide, there is not much there on the inside except for mud flats and the shipping channel. Kinda boring place to paddle at low tide. On the high tide, Cape Porpoise is a great protected scenic paddle. For those that want some adventure, you can shoot around the outside of the many islands there.

On the high tide, Cape Porpoise is a great protected scenic paddle. For those that want some adventure, you can shoot around the outside of the many islands there.

Bill has it right, of course, but to add a little. It is more varied and fun to wander about inside and out or do figure eights around the islands to give a break swells are up. There can be great surfing when swells raise up in the gaps between the islands on the northerly side so you want some water inside or you will surf onto a mudflat at the end of a long ride. Because there is water for a broad range of interests, it is a neat place for groups although the leg to and from Kennebunkport is exposed, but no more than Gerrish.

I have never been there, but the islands outside of the Bidderford Pool deserve a look too.

I've been told it can be a fun place to paddle, but not without its dangers as the fatality a year ago or so showed.

Ed Lawson

Seems as if there isn't that much interest in this paddle I may stay local and head up there some other time. Perhaps even next weekend, depending on the tides and weather. I am thinking of heading down to Manchester by the Sea. I will post that as a separate trip if

I decide upon that. Ross

Seems as if there isn't that much interest in this paddle I may stay local and head up there some other time. Perhaps even next weekend, depending on the tides and weather. I am thinking of heading down to Manchester by the Sea. I will post that as a separate trip if

I decide upon that. Ross

I've got family commitments tomorrow but I'm hopeful about being able to get out next weekend.