Cape Wind update.

jason

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/...ale_wind_power/

Another interesting concept, and I doubt people could object because of the "visual impact".

Thanks for sharing the link. One can hope that they will get installed.

It would be nice to have the tax breaks back from the 70's for install windmills or solar panels.

I don't know if anybody has an contacts with http://www.evergreensolar.com/ but if they do how about a NSPN tour. Some day my kayak carrier might be powered by panels..... Then again spam was supposed to have been gone by now, time will tel.

-Jason

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/...ale_wind_power/

Another interesting concept, and I doubt people could object because of the "visual impact".

Well, there are some very powerful moneyed people with property on the Cape and Nantucket who do object; the lion of the senate, our own liberal and progressive Senator Ted Kennedy, is chief among them. I think the Cape wind farm is beautiful, would they rather have oil platforms in Nantucket sound? Then again, I don't have waterfront property on Nantucket so I couldn't possibly understand. Maybe if they welcomed the public to their private beaches to enjoy the unfettered view of the sound, we'd have more sympathy for their point of view!

Well, there are some very powerful moneyed people with property on the Cape and Nantucket who do object; the lion of the senate, our own liberal and progressive Senator Ted Kennedy, is chief among them. I think the Cape wind farm is beautiful, would they rather have oil platforms in Nantucket sound? Then again, I don't have waterfront property on Nantucket so I couldn't possibly understand. Maybe if they welcomed the public to their private beaches to enjoy the unfettered view of the sound, we'd have more sympathy for their point of view!

"The developer is someone who wants to build his country home tomorrow;

The environmentalist is someone who built his country home yesterday."

I can say one thing about these things; they are not quiet. There was a large one providing power to the Nagasaki Shipyard when we were in for repairs. It was never quiet.

Perhaps these, being so large, will turn much slower and therefore be quieter. I can only imagine what the sound is like transmitted through the water via the towers. (I'm thinking of sonar-dependent mammals here)

Personally, I feel they belong on land.

Jon

I can say one thing about these things; they are not quiet. There was a large one providing power to the Nagasaki Shipyard when we were in for repairs. It was never quiet.

Perhaps these, being so large, will turn much slower and therefore be quieter. I can only imagine what the sound is like transmitted through the water via the towers. (I'm thinking of sonar-dependent mammals here)

Personally, I feel they belong on land.

Jon

Jon,

It's worth doing a paddle do or a launch from windmill point in Hull. Once you have spent some time watch & listening to the wind mill you may be a convert.

The bell buoys and waves seem much louder than the windmill. Once the windmills are installed we will have new places to paddle. I look forward to the day that they are spinning.

-Jason

It's worth doing a paddle do or a launch from windmill point in Hull. Once you have spent some time watch & listening to the wind mill you may be a convert.

The bell buoys and waves seem much louder than the windmill. Once the windmills are installed we will have new places to paddle. I look forward to the day that they are spinning.

Or paddle down the Weir river next to Hull Wind 2. This one is much larger(1.8 MW vs 660 KW) than the one at Windmill Point. You can hear it as you paddle by it; but it is not obtrusive at all to me.