Where would you go?

jdkilroy

Laura and I are planning to take advantage of our daughter's trip to Washington, DC for a week by going somewhere to paddle every one of those days.

When: 3rd week of April.

Looking for ideas of places to go that we can get to by driving; 6 +/- hrs max. Looking for variety of conditions and has to be ocean paddling. Could be a week long trip or a variety of day trips with return to the hot tub each night...

Any thoughts? Where would you go?

Stonington is the classic paddling Maine paddling venue and is "sort of" on the way to Acadia if you wanted to experience both. In fact, you can paddle from Stonington to Acadia by way of the Swan's Island area if you're so inclined. Beautiful places both!

Carl C.

If you are looking for a coastal kayaking adventure the above mentioned Boothbay, Bar Harbor & Stonnington are great options. If island camping is something you want to do then Stonnington in my humble opinion is unsurpassed. You won't see many if any campers on the MITA Islands in April. If lodging in a comfy Inn at night is more your liking then Bar Harbor would probably be your best choice for finding an Inn open in April. Another nice option would be Camden/Rockport area as there are many lodging options there too and great paddling spots. Or take the Ferry to Vinanhaven from Rockland and spend a few days paddling Vinalhaven. There are lots of protected areas as well as some open ocean paddling. The Tidewater motel is right at the town dock on Vinalhaven. I doubt you'd have any problem with the Ferry reservations in April. Let me know if you'd like some other lodging info.

Pick up Dorcas Miller's book Kayaking the Maine Coast for other great paddling options and Inn accommodations listings there is Lee Bumsted's Hot Showers Maine Coast Lodging for Kayakers. Feel free to write me if you'd like any additional info. any of the above.

Neil :captain:

Given the parameters (within one week, less than 6 hrs driving) , the time of year (weather, winds , precipitation iffy: camping may or may not be a trial) and if I had the money, I would look into some sort of inn-to-inn “hot showers†trip along some choice section of the Maine coast. Something like Bath public launch down the Kennebec to Popham, then over to Boothbay and back, or maybe Harpswell/Orrs to Boothbay via Popham . You get the idea.

Paddling for several days using Stonington or Bar Harbor as a base would be nice too: options for landside fun if weather is bad or if you tire of fog .

A bit more than 6 hours drive, but Passamaquoddy Bay with St. Andrews, NB as a base: a bit off the beaten track , there might be some off- season rates in this charming town. Major tidal considerations though, can’t launch and land when you please. I think "Eastern Horizons" has a segment filmed here: when it comes out, the appeal of this area may be more widely known.

Something like Bath public launch down the Kennebec to Popham, then over to Boothbay and back,

Making that a loop trip using the Sasanoa River would certainly be a lesson in tidal currents both planning and paddling in.

Ed Lawson

I'm a bit confused - do you mean 6 hours drive from DC, or 6 hours drive from Boston?

Bar Harbor is probably 15+ hours drive from DC. Cape Cod is probably 8 hours.

But, if you're talking from Boston - Stonington is a good choice - for the Cape, there are plenty of great paddles, depending on your druthers. For hot tubs and the like in Maine, there's a book that has the title "Warm Showers" in it - that isn't the complete title, but it describes paddles in Maine and nearby places to stay in comfort. You can probably google it and get some ideas.

The Hot Tub is not a mandate either.... just added to convey the notion of "luxuries" typically absent from a island to island camping trip.

I am trying to broaden my diplomatic skills and make this trip more appealing to those who mean the most to me. That said, my foil has spent at least as many days living in a snow cave as I have and then some.

Gary, thanks; it is unfortunate that Kate's links are no longer...

Jon