Any I.N.S.A.N.E. (or for the really hardcore "Storm Kings") paddlers

leong

I hung it up around Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, I went over to the Weston ski track to do some XC skiing. There's a small pedestrian footbridge over the Charles that one of the ski trails goes over. As I approached it, I marveled at how high the water level was. Normally there's a decent clearance under this bridge, but it was pretty minimal.

As I crossed over the bridge, I saw a guy in a kayak trying to maneuver underneath the bridge backwards. There was a fair amount of current and it looked a bit precarious. I stopped and talked the guy through what was clearly a challenge for him. He had to go upstream, turn around, and then point himself at the spot with the best clearance. He finally made it.

Now, I'd seen big chunks of ice in the Charles that morning. He had no PFD, no spray skirt, and was wearing a simple polar tech sweat shirt. His steering strokes were pretty weak. It looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe I should've said something about safety, but I didn't. Does clueless equal insane?

Non-related shamelss self promotion: I'm giving a talk on primitive navigation to the Cape Cod Astronomical Society at Dennis-Yarmouth High School. This is the evening of Jan 8th. I doubt this will advance anyone's paddling skills, but it might be of interest to some. Three topics - how the Polynesians navigated, how the Vikings navigated, and what you can do with simple household items and a decent wristwatch. I worked with some students and we were able to get latitude and longitude to about 20-30 miles in four or five different separate trials. My favorite was the student who built a quadrant using a straw and a tea-bag.

Still around, still paddle in winter on those "nice" winter days. The not so nice days fine me BC skiing or hiking.

BTW Happy Hoildays to all...

KenC

Holiday greetings from the relative warmth of Chapel Hill NC.

Upon my return next week I hope to be getting out as the rare warmer days present themselves.

Gotta stave off the winter weight gain....

Happy Happy.

Ern

• 2 weeks later...
Still around, but far more sane.

I do recall what we called a fine winter day down in RI where you were helping me lift my boat onto your car after a paddle and we suddenly heard loud thumps as the strong winds blew your loaded Pintail rolling down the beach!

I don't know if I am more sane, but I do have more activities pulling me in more directions. Happy New Years to All

Rick Woo

Oh, yes: the infamous Pintail, rolling on the sand! Did it ever go like the clappers! It was really windy that day, wasn't it? I wonder how many years ago? Whatsisname Burnett was still in residence.

Rick Woo: now there is a name from the past...welcome back!

Oh my god! What a day that was. I remember not putting on sunscreen and the combination of the wind and my hood left my face with a large red wind/sun burned circle. I thought the Pintail actually blew across the parking lot then tumbled down the beach, but you know how these things get exaggerated over the years.

Yes Christopher it really was that windy. It was on parr with the infamous Squall (squam) Lake trip. Yea the one where we took shelter on an island an a tree blew over, not a small tree either. I recall seeing white caps and a waterspout that day.

Nice to know you're still around Rick, hopefully we'll meet up on the water.

Oh my god! What a day that was. I remember not putting on sunscreen and the combination of the wind and my hood left my face with a large red wind/sun burned circle. I thought the Pintail actually blew across the parking lot then tumbled down the beach, but you know how these things get exaggerated over the years.

Yes Christopher it really was that windy. It was on parr with the infamous Squall (squam) Lake trip. Yea the one where we took shelter on an island an a tree blew over, not a small tree either. I recall seeing white caps and a waterspout that day.

Nice to know you're still around Rick, hopefully we'll meet up on the water.

The Squam Trip, The Naraganset trip in a Gale with Peter, Whew... Remember em both Mike!! I still can recall that visual of Leonard's fully laden Pintail bouncing down the beach like a ping pong ball!

Yeah, good old whathisname posted that friggin trip ;) That story will never die.

Welcome back Rick!!!!!! I was just looking at my copy of Offshore mag where I was pouring warm water in your gloves.

BB

Oh, yes: the infamous Pintail, rolling on the sand! Did it ever go like the clappers! It was really windy that day, wasn't it? I wonder how many years ago? Whatsisname Burnett was still in residence.

Rick Woo: now there is a name from the past...welcome back!

QUOTE(B @ Jan 7 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, good old whathisname posted that friggin trip ;) That story will never die.

Welcome back Rick!!!!!! I was just looking at my copy of Offshore mag where I was pouring warm water in your gloves.

BB

At least you didn't offer to warm his gloves up with something else!

At least you didn't offer to warm his gloves up with something else!

With B around you could always count on a hatch or two being mysteriously open or with an edge lifted...Hmmmm...did ya ever look IN to see just what he had been up to??!!