Surfing in the Fog...

jdkilroy

This was going to be just a work-out sort of paddle; a work on techniques paddle. It was pretty wild outside the breakwater at Little Harbour with 20 ~ 25 kt winds. The tide was so high I could launch from the road on Goat Island.

Socked in; the fog about as thick as it gets. Feeling my way around the island a securite was in order before crossing the Piscatiqua to try and find Bill H, Ed and Betty Ann who had launched from Frisbee Wharf earlier in the day. A great opportunity to work on navigating in the the fog. The compass reigned today. (no GPS)

By the time I got to the causeway between Chauncey creek and the marsh leading to Brave Boat Harbour there was only about a foot of headroom so a portage over the road was required. Met a couple of kayakers from Newmarket.

There was no need to take the usual wiggly windy way as the spring tide allowed a much more direct route. On and off pissin' rain with heavier showers just added to the haunted, silenced atmosphere. I couldn't help thinking of the advice given the tourist in "American Werewolf in London" "... stay off the moors lad, stay off the moors."

You could hear the wind whistling through the tops of the trees but hardly a breath rippled the water inside the marsh.

The old train trestle piles guarding the back door to Brave Boat Harbor looked like a line of Druids as they became visible through the fog.

I found Ed, Betty Ann and BillH just as they were heading back to Kittery Point. They spoke of perfect surf waves marching steadily through the entrance to the harbor.

I continued on to the harbor entrance as they headed back. I could hear regular surf breaks but still could see nothing ahead. When I got close enough I was treated to an incredible sight. Row after row of 4 ~ 6 footers gliding into the harbor. There was a break to the north but otherwise they just remained intact. Marching in against the tide. The runs were wonderfully long and no beach to run up on. Local surfers were heading out and I had the whole place to myself... all noises muffled, the horn at Ft Point a far away mournful sound that seemed to be a part of the fog.

The seas continued to build and the rides got longer and better but I needed what was left of the tide. The way back to the causeway was like clawing your way up a narrow river. The reward was getting spit out from under the causeway like a watermelon seed between wet fingers.

Another securite to cross back between Kittery point and Salamander; the Coast Guard speed boat came out and hung around while I crossed. I actually paddled right out of the fog into clarity as I made the the other side and headed back to Goat Island.

What a great paddle! I'm sure Ed, Bill and Betty Ann will concur. I may head back tomorrow...

Balmy temps, thick fog, high tide and the distant roar of ocean and surf describe the trip out to Brave Boat Harbor. As the surf got louder and louder, finally, out of the fog appeared large ghostly waves and a pair of surfers riding them in. Bugs by the thousands accompanied us for lunch on the black sand and cobblestone beach. The anticipation for my first trip to Brave Boat Harbor was exceeded only by the actual experience. I still have yet to "see" Brave Boat Harbor but etched in my mind is the seemingly endless surf, building and breaking.

The return trip back was highlighted by a surprise meeting with Jon and an over dressed/aerobic paddle back against the ebbing tide rewarded with a rocket ship ride through the culvert. Thanks Bill and Doug, for a journey best shared with good friends.

I have to agree the fog was some of the thickest that I ever paddled in. Paddling up to Brave Boat

you could hear the surf pounding from far away. As we approached you could feel the gentle swells building. when we made it to Brave Boat there were set after set of slow breaking waves.

I paddled out and caught a couple rides, but noticing when I got out beyond the breakers I could barely see my friends who were concerned for my safety, (THANKS) so i paddled over to join them. We paddled around the corner to stop for lunch. This area should be called Bug Island, as there were bugs every where.Its November and there shouldn't be any bugs. We ate lunch watching two board surfers catching ride after ride. I wanted to be out there with them and my friends knew that, so after lunch we made our way back out to the surf for more surfing fun. That 17 ft kayak just doesn't spin like my 8 ft surf boats. After a few long rides we we were making our way back when we met Jon D . The thought in my mind of heading back to the surf with Jon, but I thought we started as a group we should end as a group. We made our way back to the culvert against the current. When we made it to the culvert the water was ripping through to the other side, the water seemed to be a foot higher on our side. I'm thinking this looks like fun so I shot through and others to follow, only to turn around and and try to paddle back through the culvert against the current with no success. It was a fun day paddling with friends. We try to paddle every weekend, feel free to join us. It's all about making new paddling friends and building our skills.

Bill H

Brave Boat Harbor, I'll be back to surf again. Its a slow left break.

I have to agree the fog was some of the thickest that I ever paddled in. Paddling up to Brave Boat

you could hear the surf pounding from far away. As we approached you could feel the gentle swells building. when we made it to Brave Boat there were set after set of slow breaking waves.

I paddled out and caught a couple rides, but noticing when I got out beyond the breakers I could barely see my friends who were concerned for my safety, (THANKS) so i paddled over to join them. We paddled around the corner to stop for lunch. This area should be called Bug Island, as there were bugs every where.Its November and there shouldn't be any bugs. We ate lunch watching two board surfers catching ride after ride. I wanted to be out there with them and my friends knew that, so after lunch we made our way back out to the surf for more surfing fun. That 17 ft kayak just doesn't spin like my 8 ft surf boats. After a few long rides we we were making our way back when we met Jon D . The thought in my mind of heading back to the surf with Jon, but I thought we started as a group we should end as a group. We made our way back to the culvert against the current. When we made it to the culvert the water was ripping through to the other side, the water seemed to be a foot higher on our side. I'm thinking this looks like fun so I shot through and others to follow, only to turn around and and try to paddle back through the culvert against the current with no success. It was a fun day paddling with friends. We try to paddle every weekend, feel free to join us. It's all about making new paddling friends and building our skills.

Bill H

Brave Boat Harbor, I'll be back to surf again. Its a slow left break.

Bill, I hope to be as relaxed in surf some day soon as you are. I want to be out there but with you but opted for staying upright. Honestly, the spirit is willing so perhaps another boat purchase is in order, something more stable... Like um, I don't know... A scorpio perhaps?

Quite a few highlights along this paddle. As we launched into the 1/4 mile fog curtain my excitement grew as the surrounding land and seascape typically recognizable on other paddles were obscured in the grey mist that created a feeling of being incased in a snow-globe of tiny water particles. GPS is a great thing. My minds eye can still reflect the eerie images like Chauncey's Bonsai Tree Island (we named it), the Polar Bear being put away for winter, the summer homes now closed for the season and the famous culvert (with 1.5 foot clearance). Fantasy thoughts were discussed of performing a hesitated roll under it and back to vertical on the other side were quickly dismissed as our imaginations created the perilous possibilities of such an act. Portage accross the road placed our group of 3 into the secluded flood zone. No meandering creek to be found.

As we head into a thicker fog bank the sound of breaking surf reminded me of scenes in the movie "Gladiator" a distant roar of an undefeated army far off yet felt yards away. Then the distant railroad pylons just sticking their heads up in formation as the slight surf swells rolled towards us through the fog. We were getting close.

Our next sight were the 2 black specks of surfers growing larger as they charged from the sea and thick fog riding some of the longest swells I've seen in New England. "Don't tell anyone" (they said).

I surfed some mid-sized waves, Betty holding back trying to contain her inner fears and Bill, of course went outside at the edge of our sight into the 6+ footers.

I decided this was not going to be one of those times where I stowed my camera in fear of a certain capsize if not ready with a split second brace. I pointed my bow out to sea allowing 4 & 5 foot peaking waves to roll under me in perfect fashion. I grabbed the strap of my camera from my teeth and got a 20 second video of it all including Bill on a 6 foot wave surfing towards be. Trusting his skills I held my ground (or water) as he carved his 17 foot sea craft at me then skillfully carving right avoiding certain disaster to finish the last 75 yards of his ride.

We met Jon in his new Cetus and "paddle/boat/blade" hat near the army of railroad soldiers on our exit from Brave Boat. Any inner fears of his solo flight were diminished instantly by his apparent skills as a boatsman as he manipulated his boat around us during our intros. By the way Bill, I had the same thoughts of heading out to the surf again with him as well.

We were able to find the actual creek now and paddled our butts off at every turn against the oncoming surge of water.

A few hundred yards before the culvert, the flow of tide reversed and we slipped our way through the tunnel into the arms of our line of awaiting soldier pylons on the other side.

A rare day indeed. Thanks for the memories.

Doug

As Peter B said, "What a difference a day makes."

Headed back to Brave boat this morning with Laura and Peter in hopes of a reenactment of yesterdays surf experience. It was simply not to be. The wind had clocked right around to near due west which is right out of the entrance to Brave Boat.

So... even though there were still some very nice rollers coming in, the wind was in your face at 20+/- kts preventing your being able to achieve or maintain adequate boat speed to ride them; they ended up breaking over you from behind.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk467/jdkilroy/16.jpg

It was still a fun day to be on the water and we made the round trip from the causeway to Brave Boat and back twice. The second time to check on a more inexperienced paddler that headed out that way while we were returning. Turns out he was paddling prudently and was doing just fine but we felt good that we cared enough to check on him and we paddled back into the teeth of it once again.

We got off the water about 1600 and met at Flatbreads for some rehydration and conversation.

Any day on the water is a good day...

Balmy temps, thick fog, high tide and the distant roar of ocean and surf describe the trip out to Brave Boat Harbor. As the surf got louder and louder, finally, out of the fog appeared large ghostly waves and a pair of surfers riding them in. Bugs by the thousands accompanied us for lunch on the black sand and cobblestone beach. The anticipation for my first trip to Brave Boat Harbor was exceeded only by the actual experience. I still have yet to "see" Brave Boat Harbor but etched in my mind is the seemingly endless surf, building and breaking.

The return trip back was highlighted by a surprise meeting with Jon and an over dressed/aerobic paddle back against the ebbing tide rewarded with a rocket ship ride through the culvert. Thanks Bill and Doug, for a journey best shared with good friends.

link to some photos....

http://kayakadventures.shutterfly.com/braveboatharbor

To me the most interesting detail was that the CG came out to patrol after you made your securite calls. What was your reaction to their having done that?

Actually, we've become used to the Coast Guard and Marine Patrol presence as we paddle the waters around Portsmouth Harbor and the mouth of the Piscatiqua. With the naval shipyard right there they remain fairly vigilant. We've never been harassed and we will sometimes perform rescue exercises out in front of the station at Ft Point. I think they appreciate our behaving responsibly and if it improves their impression of sea kayakers, all the better.

Thanks for the info, Jon. I've always thought securite calls are a great preemptive call to make in bad weather, and I was interested to hear that you'd made one. Any chance the Coast Guard kept a recording of it? I think it would be a great file to post if they did. I know they post on their website a lot of audio recordings of past maydays, pan-pans, etc., all available for free download.

I think securite calls are of real value to sea kayakers. In my experience, they are a also good way to practice radio use that goes beyond the usual spectrum of communicating within a group. It can be a real intimidating experience (one gets so self conscious!) knowing that you're about to make a blind broadcast not to someone in particular, but to all nearby mariners.

Listen in on 16 long enough (as you doubtless know), and you're sure to hear a securite. Problem is, at least in my experience, is that you usually you only hear Coast Guard securite calls announcing events like the presence of derelict boats, or something, posing hazards in shipping channels, or of dredging operations in commercial transit routes. You almost never get the sense that a securite can lead to two-way communcations.

Problem is, hearing only CG securites doesn't pose all that useful a model to a kayaker, as there's almost no followup or response. CG securites simply go into dead air and hang there.

The closest I've heard to a good model for sea kayakers on how a two-way securite migtth work is to listen in channel 13, which large vessel captains use from bridge to bridge. But their communications (mostly stuff like "you go port, I'll go starboard") are delivered in such crisp shorthand it's hard to use them as a model.

Not to belabor this, but would you mind taking a minute to paraphrase the securite calls you made?

I think they would be useful to read, especially for anyone who wants to make a securite call themselves one day.

You almost never get the sense that a securite can lead to two-way communcations.

Problem is, hearing only CG securites doesn't pose all that useful a model to a kayaker, as there's almost no followup or response. CG securites simply go into dead air and hang there.

The closest I've heard to a good model for sea kayakers on how a two-way securite migtth work

A couple of comments based on modest if not limited information/experience and my being anal on radio stuff. Securite calls by definition are not two-way. It is a broadcast of safety related information. If the information broadcast results in another vessel wishing to know more. They initiate a call to the broadcasting vessel/station either on 16 or on the channel requested for inquiries in the securite call.

Listening to people who use radios as part of their day job is often confusing since they tend to be crisp to the point of abrupt, fast, and use words/procedures that are likely unfamiliar. However, I believe it is worthwhile for kayakers to speak in a professional manner when using their radios.

Securite calls by kayakers are not uncommon in some areas when visability is poor, they are near potential traffic lanes, and commercial traffic exists. In other words, in the circumstances JonD was in. In making them, I believe it is worthwhile to make them in the same manner as an officer on a ship would make them since that is what you are. As an example, Bob Arledge when crossing from southern tip of MDI in the fog this year made a securite call and received an inquiry and had a followup conversation with the CAT which was leaving Bar Harbor and the potential existed for them to be in close proximity. It may sound funny that a kayaker and the CAT would have a conversation about who would be where and when, but they were both vessels on the sea, Bob, I'm sure, sounded professional , and no doubt as a result there was a level of respect from the CAT toward a fellow mariner.

Anyone using a marine VHF radio should understand what the words, "out/clear", "over", "roger", "copy", "read", "wilco", and "say again" mean and use them properly.

The following might be useful to those wanting to know more about marine radio procedures.

http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/0/5...525735500740A6E

Ed Lawson

Any chance the Coast Guard kept a recording of it? I think it would be a great file to post if they did. I know they post on their website a lot of audio recordings of past maydays, pan-pans, etc., all available for free download.

After reading Adam's post about the coast guard logs I did some random browsing on google and came up with this one. It struck me kind of funny. Maybe this guy would be in the running for a Hard knocks award if he were an NSPN member. C'mon! who loses a yacht while out paddling?

"25th October Call out to Loch Linnhe to locate the yacht Argo adrift and its owner who was in a sea kayak chasing it. Yacht was located aground on Caol beach with its owner aboard. Assisted the owner to secure the yacht to the shore. Oban Lifeboat was turned back once the owner was out of danger. "

A couple of comments based on modest if not limited information/experience and my being anal on radio stuff. Securite calls by definition are not two-way. It is a broadcast of safety related information. If the information broadcast results in another vessel wishing to know more. They initiate a call to the broadcasting vessel/station either on 16 or on the channel requested for inquiries in the securite call.

Listening to people who use radios as part of their day job is often confusing since they tend to be crisp to the point of abrupt, fast, and use words/procedures that are likely unfamiliar. However, I believe it is worthwhile for kayakers to speak in a professional manner when using their radios.

Securite calls by kayakers are not uncommon in some areas when visability is poor, they are near potential traffic lanes, and commercial traffic exists. In other words, in the circumstances JonD was in. In making them, I believe it is worthwhile to make them in the same manner as an officer on a ship would make them since that is what you are. As an example, Bob Arledge when crossing from southern tip of MDI in the fog this year made a securite call and received an inquiry and had a followup conversation with the CAT which was leaving Bar Harbor and the potential existed for them to be in close proximity. It may sound funny that a kayaker and the CAT would have a conversation about who would be where and when, but they were both vessels on the sea, Bob, I'm sure, sounded professional , and no doubt as a result there was a level of respect from the CAT toward a fellow mariner.

Anyone using a marine VHF radio should understand what the words, "out/clear", "over", "roger", "copy", "read", "wilco", and "say again" nean and use them properly.

The following might be useful to those wanting to know more about marine radio procedures.

http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/0/5...525735500740A6E

Ed Lawson

Thanks for posting the link Ed. It looks pretty useful.

Using the VHF is a great thing to practice and get comfortable with. It is one of our most important pieces of safety gear.

When I make a securite call I prepare for it before hand by studying the chart; I decide how I am going to describe my position relative to prominent land features or nav aids; what I am intending to do; how fast I expect to do it etc. Consider yourself another vessel hearing it and see how easy it is to understand and plot your position and intended track. My call on Sat went something like:

Securite, securite, securite this is kayak party of one to all vessels in the vicinity of Portsmouth Harbour. My present position is just off Salamander Point and am crossing the Piscataqua river northbound to Kittery point. ETA Kittery Point in 10 minutes. Repeat... x 1

When I arrive safely on other side I make a call to cancel or clear the securite.

If another vessel calls back with request for clarification I may respond quickly on 16 so others will get that clarification as well or I will request that we meet on channel 06.

Having spent 14 or so years on the bridge of big merchant ships I have a bit of an advantage when it comes to comfort using the VHF but I can tell you that a professional manner on the radio is respected and listened to. Spend a little time monitoring and you will quickly appreciate the difference.

A good exercise is to have someone make a pretend call while others try to plot what is being described on the chart and see how well the intended and the understood compare.

I would not hesitate to do VHF radio checks on channel 16 to the nearest Coast Guard stations either.

"Coast Guard station Portsmouth Harbor, Coast Guard station Portsmouth Harbor, this is kayak party of one on channel 16 for a radio check; how do you read me, over?"

The more you use the radio to actually talk to someone, the more comfortable you will get to the point that it becomes somewhat routine.

Hope that's helpful. Jon

Using the VHF is a great thing to practice and get comfortable with. It is one of our most important pieces of safety gear.

When I make a securite call I prepare for it before hand by studying the chart; I decide how I am going to describe my position relative to prominent land features or nav aids; what I am intending to do; how fast I expect to do it etc. Consider yourself another vessel hearing it and see how easy it is to understand and plot your position and intended track. My call on Sat went something like:

Securite, securite, securite this is kayak party of one to all vessels in the vicinity of Portsmouth Harbour. My present position is just off Salamander Point and am crossing the Piscataqua river northbound to Kittery point. ETA Kittery Point in 10 minutes. Repeat... x 1

When I arrive safely on other side I make a call to cancel or clear the securite.

If another vessel calls back with request for clarification I may respond quickly on 16 so others will get that clarification as well or I will request that we meet on channel 06.

Having spent 14 or so years on the bridge of big merchant ships I have a bit of an advantage when it comes to comfort using the VHF but I can tell you that a professional manner on the radio is respected and listened to. Spend a little time monitoring and you will quickly appreciate the difference.

A good exercise is to have someone make a pretend call while others try to plot what is being described on the chart and see how well the intended and the understood compare.

I would not hesitate to do VHF radio checks on channel 16 to the nearest Coast Guard stations either.

"Coast Guard station Portsmouth Harbor, Coast Guard station Portsmouth Harbor, this is kayak party of one on channel 16 for a radio check; how do you read me, over?"

The more you use the radio to actually talk to someone, the more comfortable you will get to the point that it becomes somewhat routine.

Hope that's helpful. Jon

Thanks Jon,

That was helpful.

Thanks, Jon. I liked especially your practice suggestion that others listen to you with a chart in hand to see if they can pinpoint your location and transit you're describing.

Here's the link to the audio files the Coast Guard puts onine here in Massachusetts if anybody wants to listen in on recordings of maydays, etc. between the Coast Guard and mariners. There are many different types of calls there:

http://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/main.php?g2_itemId=52

In the same vein, here's the links to youtube videos I made using the above, basically by listening to the audio several times over and transcribing what everybody said:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeepSixDave

I can remember our group making a securite call a few years back off Cape Ann in heavy fog. We made the call twice, as you'd expect, with say a minute or two's pause between each broadcasdt. Wouldn't you know it but another boater barks in on 16 with something along the likes of "Shut up, sea kayaker, we heard you the first time. Put your toy away and pipe down."

Very disconcerting, to say the least, and embarassing too, to our radio user, who was learning how to make a securite call and was making a call for the first time. Stuff like that can make you gun shy on the air. But the call was legit and necessary....

And what should one say to cancel/clear the securite, please?

My $.02. You may want to include in the initial call that you will announce when you have made the crossing/finished whatever so the followup call will be expected. Regardless, just make a securite call indicating you have completed crossing/finished whatever so those who might have been impacted are advised they can return to their regularly scheduled programming or whatever. My understanding is a securite call is to provide information. When it is of a temporary nature, it is courteous to inform others that they no longer need to be concerned.

Ed Lawson