Tuck's to Dry Breaker's

Gcosloy

Wednesday this week, three of us, Sid, Leon and myself got a late start from Tuck's Point. The wind from the west was moderate and we initially paddled west toward Salem. After a while the wind diminished and we headed south past Baker's directly toward the Dry Breakers. Seals were everywhere. As soon as we were spotted they slid en mass off the rocks into the waters to greet us. I had never realized how large they were before. The sea was fairly calm and the bright sun found some cirus clouds to hide in. Traveling west again we beached on North Gooseberry for lunch. The trees were bare and the usual avian residents were long gone. Later the sky seemed to be sporting not one but two suns: a picture perfect example of a sun dog. The water was in the high 40's and the air perhaps low 40's. My hands exposed to the cold during lunch didn't warm up soon enough after putting back on my wet 1mm neoprene gloves. Wearing my supernova semi dry over 100 polarfleece underneath I was comfortable until we stopped for lunch. On the way back I stretched on my lightweight kokatat cag which made a big difference. Hands only warmed after paddling vigorously for a few miles. Reaching House Island we turned to watch an incredible sunset of reds, greys and black over Boston. As we entered Manchester harbour we were greeted by the low hanging harvest moon. The entire day was suffused with that special beauty when all the leaves have fallen and we can see the scalps of House and Misery through their denuded forests. Later the sky would turn hazy with contrails, rollers and hints of a mackerel sky portending Thursday's rain. I paddled at my usual 3k on a gentle sea without spills and thrills but a very special day nonetheless.

post-100097-1226689100_thumb.jpg

post-100097-1226689132_thumb.jpg

post-100097-1226689162_thumb.jpg

Photos by LeonG,( shown without permission.)

My hands exposed to the cold during lunch didn't warm up soon enough after putting back on my wet 1mm neoprene gloves. ...Hands only warmed after paddling vigorously for a few miles.

Sounds like a great paddle. I find my hands can get colder wearing neoprene gloves than if bare due to evaporative cooling if they do not have a windproof outer layer. Even then, once you take them off, they will get cold and you hands will get chilled warning them back up. On trick (BCU fans may snicker) l is always have a thermos of hot water or plain tea and pour the warm liquid into the gloves and let sit just before paddling. Gloves will be nice and warm and your hands will thank you.

Ed Lawson

Gene, great pictures and report! I wanted to get out that day given the mild conditions but instead tried different boats at CRCK, useful but sounds like a missed a memorable day...