Anyone have AK contacts

B

I'm departing in mid July for a solo Ketchican to Haines/Skagway journey, with side trips along the way. Does anyone have any contacts along the route or have first hand info on the area. I've studied everything I can find on the bookshelves. You just can't beat local knowledge.

Bob Burnett

Bob.

This is off topic, but do you have any knowledge of Cyrstal Seas, a guide service out of Friday Harbor in the San Juans. We are planning a trip with them at the end of July and I am still looking for references. If you have any input, you might email me at

alcoonslists @ verizon.net

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al Coons

Sounds like an awesome trip! If you haven't already done so, check out and post on the paddling.net message board and the Paddlewise list server. There are a couple of Alaskan paddlers who frequent them who can probably give your the scoop.

bastar...err, i mean, good for you! some severe jealousy! although....bears bob. bears. i can't decide if that's exciting good or exciting like, "crap, i'm on the menu...." probably good. more likely bugs and rain than bears will be an issue. JEALOUS! eagles thick as sea gulls...the quiet....JEALOUS!

roger voeller spent a bunch of time up there with his nols courses...maybe he has some contacts.

do you have his email address - i think he moved to colorado?

the folks up at mikco do trips up there as well...maybe they could hook you up with local knowledge.

have a great time and post the picks!

Hi Al

I applied for a job with CS, but they told me I over qaulified since all they were looking for was 2nd and 3rd guides at the time.

They are supposed to be, from reputation, one of the better services in the SJ area. Most of all of the outfitter's SJ trips are done in doubles so I hope you won't be dissapointed or have worked something out.

Bob Burnett

More like bugs and rain is the case. I've worked things out so far to miss as much of the ABC islands as possible. The plan is to use the smaller passes for as much current as safely possible to carry my fat ass along. Some of the narrows and passes do run as fast as 14 knots with over falls so I'll be picking my route and timing carefuly. I have a relaxed schedule so I'm in no rush.

I've been in touch with several folks from the AK clubs and have gotten some great info so far.

B

• 2 weeks later...

>I'm departing in mid July for a solo Ketchican to

>Haines/Skagway journey, with side trips along the way. Does

>anyone have any contacts along the route or have first hand

>info on the area. I've studied everything I can find on the

>bookshelves. You just can't beat local knowledge.

>

>Bob Burnett

Bob.

Thanks for the info on SJs.

I just returned from a Vancouver to Hubbard Glacier trip....it was a family reunion or I would have taken something smaller than a 1000 foot, 12 deck kayak. However, I did go out of Ketchikan with:

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

They seem very knowledgable and might be a good source for local knowledge.

-----------

By the way, if you have not been up in that part of the world, don't get too down on the tourist traps at either end of your jouney. Both are examples of how to destroy a town to make a buck. Many of the towns in between are much nicer. Not sure which way you are headed when you get to Skagway, but if you are just returning by ferry, Haynes is a lot nicer place to recover.

-----------

Best of luck,

Al