Election Day: Tuck's Kettle Magnolia...Popplestones?

subaruguru

Flattest water I've ever paddled greeted us on this serene, windless, hazy-sunny day.

Wanting to extend our northbound reach before lunching, I dragged us to my chart's "Popplestone Beach" just past Magnolia in hopes of a smaller sandy respite, not knowing that popplestone is perhaps an arcane name for "boulder"!

As Gene summed up: "All is good."

Aside from the weather being too good to pass up I wanted to be somewhere memorable on election day instead of in front of the ubiquitous TV watching the early returns. I felt that this was to be a momentous occasion, historically, perhaps bigger than anything else in my lifetime. While the seas and winds were still, early afternoon fog and haze contributed to an eerie sense of calm. So many times as seakaykers we hope for that wonderful median between the calm and the maelstrom we call the sea. In this sense, today would have been disappointing. Three of us grizzlies paddling slowly and gently on a silent sea of glass, cocooned by the warm enveloping haze, didn't seem to mind. There will be other days when Neptune returns in force and we stand on the beach in awe, counting white caps, feeling the strength of the wind and wondering aloud if we ought to launch, and nodding yes, and doing so, experience life challenged but not imperiled. Today's paddle had none of that thrill or that anticipation or pray sometimes that fear. But I will always remember where I was and who I was with on this day in history. Perhaps our new President-elect does not yet walk on water, but on his day of election, the sea seemed to have stood still.

That was an extraordinary day! I'm new to the sport, and waited out those interminable small craft advisories for just such a day to try my first open water trip -- it could not have been better! It was certainly enhanced by meeting Ernie, Sid, and Gene, who (by example) pursuaded me to join NSPN as of this morning. I hope to see you at the cold water workshop. (As we discussed, I'm very aware of my neophyte status and need for skills dev't before venturing out into open water again.)

Did you all see the sundog on the return trip? (see photo.) I also caught one of you on the way out (second photo), not sure who, although you'll know from the boat and hat.

post-100955-1226026989_thumb.jpg

post-100955-1226027388_thumb.jpg

Did you all see the sundog on the return trip? (see photo.) I also caught one of you on the way out (second photo), not sure who, although you'll know from the boat and hat.

Welcome Scott.

Indeed that's me you framed. Thanks.

Your paddling on flatwater is indeed stable enough for you to soon be seeking a trustworthy seakayak.

As you're in Natick, I suggest that you demo as many 'yaks as you can at CRCK before they close up Sunday. There may even be some good demo or rental deals.

Check the ads here on nspn too. I think there's a nearly new Capella 163 listed for around $2k.

Given your size it might be a great choice. And don't sweat perfect seat comfort. We all end up modifying our seats anyway. Get a great paddle first.

See you Sunday.

Ern

Hi Ernie, glad you liked the photo. And thanks for the tips about NSPN classifieds and CRCK, I will try to get over there; I'm also very interested to see the various craft people will bring on Sunday, and to hear opinions. Gene's carbon boat looked really nice, I've had mine 6 weeks and am already lusting after others! My paddle is an Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (as you probably know, carbon shaft, plastic paddles), and I'm very comfortable with it -- I tried out higher-end Werners, etc. but it felt right to go mid-range, and the swing weight was fine (I'm v. sensitive to that from nordic sking). Besides, if I want to go up a grade, my wife will happily take it! See you Sunday...

Welcome Scott.

Indeed that's me you framed. Thanks.

Your paddling on flatwater is indeed stable enough for you to soon be seeking a trustworthy seakayak.

As you're in Natick, I suggest that you demo as many 'yaks as you can at CRCK before they close up Sunday. There may even be some good demo or rental deals.

Check the ads here on nspn too. I think there's a nearly new Capella 163 listed for around $2k.

Given your size it might be a great choice. And don't sweat perfect seat comfort. We all end up modifying our seats anyway. Get a great paddle first.

See you Sunday.

Ern

Quote: My paddle is an Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (as you probably know, carbon shaft, plastic paddles), and I'm very comfortable with it -- I tried out higher-end Werners, etc. but it felt right to go mid-range, and the swing weight was fine (I'm v. sensitive to that from nordic sking). Besides, if I want to go up a grade, my wife will happily take it! See you Sunday...

Scott,

The Manta Ray is the first decent sub-2lb paddle under $200. My sister loves hers too. A nice option to a used Camano. I have a spare Cypress bent you can try...215 I think. It's my favorite warm-up paddle, as the larger Ikelos can be induce a bit of tendonitis. Lots of folks like the Lendals, but they're heavier (4 pc), so I'm a Werner guy. Be careful, as you'll be ambushed by the "splinter" group in the dark soon....

You might really like a Capella 163 or an Impex 4 as an all-rounder, as well an Explorer or Aquanaut, etc. Just remember that you'll probably be futzing with seat mods (esp if it's an Impex).

Thanks Ern, I'll try to check out those boats -- good to see you again yesterday, I really enjoyed the workshop and getting to know the NPSN folks...

Quote: My paddle is an Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (as you probably know, carbon shaft, plastic paddles), and I'm very comfortable with it -- I tried out higher-end Werners, etc. but it felt right to go mid-range, and the swing weight was fine (I'm v. sensitive to that from nordic sking). Besides, if I want to go up a grade, my wife will happily take it! See you Sunday...

Scott,

The Manta Ray is the first decent sub-2lb paddle under $200. My sister loves hers too. A nice option to a used Camano. I have a spare Cypress bent you can try...215 I think. It's my favorite warm-up paddle, as the larger Ikelos can be induce a bit of tendonitis. Lots of folks like the Lendals, but they're heavier (4 pc), so I'm a Werner guy. Be careful, as you'll be ambushed by the "splinter" group in the dark soon....

You might really like a Capella 163 or an Impex 4 as an all-rounder, as well an Explorer or Aquanaut, etc. Just remember that you'll probably be futzing with seat mods (esp if it's an Impex).

Thanks Ern, I'll try to check out those boats -- good to see you again yesterday, I really enjoyed the workshop and getting to know the NPSN folks...

Scott,

Strongly suggest that you check out Cathey Foley's listed Looksha IV for $600 as a quick cheap yak to allow you to extend the season.

Ern

Ern, thanks for the heads-up -- I've been doing web research, and it also turns out that CRCK is open for another week, so hope to get down there too to try boats on the water. The Looksha IV gets a wide variety of reviews (and tons of them). A guy I know at CRCK apparently has a CD Extreme/Nomad (meaning Nomad is the follow-on to the Extreme?) at a v. good price, is that too much boat for me? (Length, initial-stability wise) Sure would be nice to go glass...

On the other hand, my wife suggests I focus on getting a "family boat" (uh-oh...).

Scott,

Strongly suggest that you check out Cathey Foley's listed Looksha IV for $600 as a quick cheap yak to allow you to extend the season.

Ern

I've been doing web research, .... has a CD Extreme/Nomad (meaning Nomad is the follow-on to the Extreme?) at a v. good price, is that too much boat for me? (Length, initial-stability wise)

Nothing wrong with good plastic boats.

May I suggest wandering about paddling as many boats as possible, deciding what type of paddling you think you will do most; then get a decent used boat that is generally agreed to be good for that use. Don't get caught up in the boat de jour or boat de club stuff...lots of nice boats.

Most importantly, get out and paddle, paddle, paddle so you can develop an independent judgment about boats. In a year or two you will have a far better idea of what you like/need/want in a boat and you can then shop for that kind of boat. Then in a year or two you will have a far better idea of what you like/need/want in a boat....and so it goes.

Ed Lawson