Post Cold Water and Pre Turkey Paddle Weekend Nov. 15-16

EEL

So by then you will have tested your drysuit or whatever at the workshop and could use a little exercise before Turkey Day? Water will be around 50 so still time to show off that roll developed this season.

One last shot at around Gerrish? Nah, we can try again on Dec. 14. Launch at Odiorne at around 10:30, back by around 3PM with burgers and beer at Red Hook. Being a timid woodland creature conditions will need to be nice and will pick best of weekend by Nov. 13 for this to be a go with me. Better paddlers can go anyway and tell me about it. Please indicate if interested.

Ed Lawson

Thanks for posting this paddle Ed.

I am interested. A Saturday paddle works perfectly for me but a Sunday paddle would be more tentative (a conflict but I'll figure something out). Here's hoping for good weather and a strong turn out.

Thanks for posting this paddle Ed.

I am interested. A Saturday paddle works perfectly for me but a Sunday paddle would be more tentative (a conflict but I'll figure something out). Here's hoping for good weather and a strong turn out.

I'm interested in joining you.

• 2 weeks later...
If it is still on, maybe... Keep us posted which day.

Since it has become problematic that I will be able to paddle this weekend, it would be better for someone else to make final plans for this trip. I don't feel right setting it up unless I am certain I will be there.

One issue is the bridge over Seavey Creek next to launch site is being rebuilt and the road is closed with a detour around area. The bridge work is supposed to be completed by May 15, 2009 so this may effect paddling from Seavey Creek for awhile. I do not know if it will be possible to park/launch at the traditional spot. Pierce I. or Kittery Town dock might be better choices, but I have not checked tides, etc for using Pierce I.

Hopefully, someone will take up the slack.

Ed Lawson

There is a good put-in at Goat island as well. Would need to hit the tide right to get through the causeway between Chauncy Creek and the marshes but that shouldn't be hard.

There is now a nice rest room at that causeway as well.

Winds 10-15 with gusts to 20mph. Seas forecasted 4-6 feet with rain for Saturday. If Saturday were the pick of weekend days, I would rather paddle from the Kittery town dock to Chauncy to Brave Boat and back but stay out of the open seas with that forecast and simply dabble in the rough stuff at the mouth of Brave Boat before heading back the way we came. Not many good bail out spots on the ocean side of Gerrish Island. Ocean conditions beyond my comfort zone. I'm not a Sea Monkey. Does anyone know if the tide works in our favor for this trip? Full moon on the 13th I believe. This is just a suggestion for a protected paddle. Don't let me sway the more adventurous among you. What cha think?

Santa hat (sort of) all packed. Meet at Kittery town docks @ Frisbee's Market around 10:30AM. BIB by 10:45. High tide around 11:46 at Kittery Point. We will head up the creek to Brave Boat harbor. Does anyone know a safe window in the tide to head back down the creek should we decide not to venture out Braveboat Harbor? Seas expected to build to 4-7 feet. Would tend to think we won't venture out other than some surf play at the mouth of the harbor. Looks like 4-5 people so far.

Doug

Meet at Kittery town docks @ Frisbee's Market around 10:30AM. BIB by 10:45. High tide around 11:46 at Kittery Point. We will head up the creek to Brave Boat harbor. Does anyone know a safe window in the tide to head back down the creek should we decide not to venture out Braveboat Harbor?

Sat or Sunday? Rain Sat and wind Sunday. Some say you can make it 2 hours either side. I think that is pushing it by 30 minutes, but I'm a timid whatever. Depends on tide range for day and given moon I'd say it would be large on Sat.

The shallowest part (which also has the choice rocks for gelcoat removal) will be in the creek maybe 50~100M before the T junction shortly before the culvert pool.

Ed Lawson

DIRECTIONS

CHAUNCEY CREEK @ KITTERY POINT

From Frisbee Wharf

95 North to Exit #2 Maine

Take Route 236 South for 1.3 miles

At that point 236 becomes 103

Follow for 2 more miles

Frisbee Wharf and Captn Simeons restaurant is on the right.

From Downtown Portsmouth:

Follow Rt. 1 North over the Route 1 Memorial Bridge for .7 of a mile.

Take a right onto Route 103 for 2.7 miles. Captn Simeons on right.

**Unload boats at wharf, then park across the street towards the back of the parking lot.

if there is no parking in the lower lot.

See You There

Bill H

Sat or Sunday? Rain Sat and wind Sunday. Some say you can make it 2 hours either side. I think that is pushing it by 30 minutes, but I'm a timid whatever. Depends on tide range for day and given moon I'd say it would be large on Sat.

The shallowest part (which also has the choice rocks for gelcoat removal) will be in the creek maybe 50~100M before the T junction shortly before the culvert pool.

Ed Lawson

Ed

This is scheduled for Saturday

Doug