The Entire Mystic River - Paddle and Education

alcoons

A discussion started in another trip thread about doing the Mystic River. I have also been planning a Mystic River trip for later in the season when conditions on the ocean are less friendly.

Car shuttle: It would be a one way trip with a car shuttle like most whitewater trips.

Put-in: Lower Mystic Lake.

Take out:

a. Deer Island - 13 miles http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2277672 , or

b. Magazine Beach on the Charles - 12 miles http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2277675

Tides: Try to time it with an outgoing tide.

Would love to find someone to paddle with us who is involved with the Upper Mystic renovation who could act as an environmental/social issues tour guide . Will seek information on this on the main message board.

Comments?

Hi Al,

I'm looking forward to this one. I haven't checked the distance, but if we time the tides why can't we also paddle back, saving us from the one-way logistics and parking issues? Wouldn't it still be way under 20 miles, and with currents, not too difficult?

Ern

Hi Al,

I'm looking forward to this one. I haven't checked the distance, but if we time the tides why can't we also paddle back, saving us from the one-way logistics and parking issues? Wouldn't it still be way under 20 miles, and with currents, not too difficult?

Ern

Well I'm in for sure. Considering it is a gentle paddle, maybe a potluck break for lunch - end of the season celebration (for those of us who don't have dry suits)? I am getting psyched for this one!! Lori B

Well I'm in for sure. Considering it is a gentle paddle, maybe a potluck break for lunch - end of the season celebration (for those of us who don't have dry suits)? I am getting psyched for this one!! Lori B

I'm in. A roundtrip to the tobin bridge would be about 12 miles.

Barry.

If the dates work out, I'm in too. Potluck lunch sounds great!

If it's a roundtrip then the luncheaon can be at my house, as it's only a couple hundred yards from the Lower Mystic putin.

Ern

If it's a roundtrip then the luncheaon can be at my house, as it's only a couple hundred yards from the Lower Mystic putin.

Ern

If the dates work out, I will attempt to find a boat for my brother and bring him. (His WW boat wouldn't be up for the trip).

-Jason

Seems at this point there is much more interest in a round-trip rather than the trip I was planning. Perhaps someone who is an advocate for that plan will pull this trip together. Very likely I will join you.

Al

Anyone interested in doing this trip tomorrow (Sun 9/28) ? Would be a good trip for a day that will be stormy on the sea. I am flexible as to time.

Barry.

Sounds great to me! I will, however have to beg a ride from someone (I live in West Medford, only about 2 miles from the lake). My car broke down at the 93/128 interchange yesterday and is still in the shop. Please send me a PM is someone can offer me a ride (with kayak of course). Thanks!

Sounds great to me! I will, however have to beg a ride from someone (I live in West Medford, only about 2 miles from the lake). My car broke down at the 93/128 interchange yesterday and is still in the shop. Please send me a PM is someone can offer me a ride (with kayak of course). Thanks!

Lri,

I MAY be up for this if I'm not working. If so, I'll gladly run over and pick you up to drag you and your 'yak to the put-in. If I don't attend maybe Barry could do the same, as he lives here in West Meffa too.

Ern

781 483-3922

Lri,

I MAY be up for this if I'm not working. If so, I'll gladly run over and pick you up to drag you and your 'yak to the put-in. If I don't attend maybe Barry could do the same, as he lives here in West Meffa too.

Ern

781 483-3922

Barry,

There does not seem to be much interest in doing it today. Are you cancelling?? Lori

Barry,

There does not seem to be much interest in doing it today. Are you cancelling?? Lori

Hi Lori,

100% chance of drizzle...sigh. I'm not sure this'll be the prettiest day on the River.

I might be up for surfing later...not sure yet.

Ern

Barry,

Hi Lori,

Sorry for late response. Yesterday turned out to be kind of crappy weather wise so I ended up taking my son to the museum of science and then to the pool.

Perhaps next weekend,

Barry.

Hi Lori,

Sorry for late response. Yesterday turned out to be kind of crappy weather wise so I ended up taking my son to the museum of science and then to the pool.

Perhaps next weekend,

Barry.

Barry, Lori,

Remember the Gen Meeting cum paddle Sat at Gould Barn. Lemme know if you want to share a ride.

Ern

Barry, Lori,

Remember the Gen Meeting cum paddle Sat at Gould Barn. Lemme know if you want to share a ride.

Ern

Sharing a ride sounds great. Let me know when you want to leave-not sure I will have my car back yet.........in the shop all week!@

Lori