Round Pond, ME put in?

Dabend

I'm heading up to Muscongus BAy in early October and was wondering if anyone has been to Round Pond and knows if you can leave cars there. I know there is a put in as I have been there in the past going out of Friendship. But i wasn't sure if there was a place to park for a few days.

I know this is north of the north shore, but i figured this would be a good group to ask.

thanks,

david

I'm heading up to Muscongus BAy in early October and was wondering if anyone has been to Round Pond and knows if you can leave cars there.

There is a collection box for the launch fee which is a modest $2, but all the parking places near the ramp/dock are strictly for day parking and the road leading to it is posted no parking. You might might try calling some of the local businesses or the Town clerk to see if you can make some private arrangements for parking. I know that can be done...especially off-season. There is also a little working harbor between round Pond and Bremen whose name escapes me and you can launch there too, but need to make arrangements for parking there as well.

You can arrange for parking in the Monegan Ferry lot at Port Clyde, but that may be too far and in the wrong part of the bay for you. Broad Cove Marine is a good place to launch and park a car for a few days on the "western" side. Both provide relatively secure parking for those "from away". While the lobsters/lobster rolls at Round Pond are wonderful, it is a neat little town, and I have done a multi-day trip from there, I think it is easier to do interesting loop trips from Port Clyde or Broad Cove.

Columbus weekend should be a great time to be on the bay.

Ed Lawson

David, though not as south as Round Pond, you might check with Police Chiefs in Bremen and Waldoboro for special permission to park at Town Landing lot (Rte 32 South to Medomak road, to Town Landing Road) or Dutch Neck (Rte 32 South to Dutch Neck Rd), respectively. The former is a slippery, but short carry to the water, the latter an all-tide, paved access. I've launched from both places whilst day-tripping. Google:maps will show you the way.

I've found Maine municipalities to generally be very accomodating to requests for overnight parking.

Gary

David, though not as south as Round Pond, you might check with Police Chiefs in Bremen and Waldoboro for special permission to park at Town Landing lot (Rte 32 South to Medomak road, to Town Landing Road) or Dutch Neck (Rte 32 South to Dutch Neck Rd), respectively. The former is a slippery, but short carry to the water, the latter an all-tide, paved access. I've launched from both places whilst day-tripping. Google:maps will show you the way.

I've found Maine municipalities to generally be very accomodating to requests for overnight parking.

Gary

Agree with Gary's suggestions, though there were reports a couple of years ago of cars getting broken into at the Dutch Neck lot when left overnight. Don't know if that's sorted out since, but you might ask when enquiring.

Scott

try to switch my out-of-state plates for a Maine pair!

Not to be paranoid, but sage, if impractical advice. I understand most of the vandalism in the past happened to out-of-state cars. Town officials and people in general are very helpful, but it only takes a couple of contrary folks to ruin a weekend. FWIW, the Maine Sea Kayak Guides Assoc. in its list of launch sites recommends Dutch Neck not be used.

Ed Lawson

Thanks for the responses.

I have to say i am surprised by the concerns about vandalism. I have been leaving my car at various put-ins in ME for 10 years now and have never had an issue with that. Perhaps I have just been lucky. Or maybe going through the motions of getting permission usually assures that i am parking in a place that deters vandalism either because of its public visibility or private self interest.

Now, hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself.

d

I've only been there by water.

If It's warm you better bring Deet.

I have never seen so many "Skeeters" along the Maine coast.

The harbor is a bowl with all sorts of runoff into it.

Hence "Round Pond"

When I was there it looked like it was full of tea.

We were on a sail boat.

It's a working harbor... expect some comments from the Lobstaaah men.

One said from the fish pier "That's about as useful as a faaht in a fraahing paaahn".

Nice town.

No night life.

Frank

I've only been there by water.

If It's warm you better bring Deet.

I have never seen so many "Skeeters" along the Maine coast.

The harbor is a bowl with all sorts of runoff into it.

Hence "Round Pond"

When I was there it looked like it was full of tea.

We were on a sail boat.

It's a working harbor... expect some comments from the Lobstaaah men.

One said from the fish pier "That's about as useful as a faaht in a fraahing paaahn".

Nice town.

No night life.

Frank

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was able to find out that there are places to park overnight right off the ramp so it looks pretty easy. I have kayaked in there for lunch many times and have never gotten any attitude from the lobstermen. Sleepy but friendly town.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was able to find out that there are places to park overnight right off the ramp so it looks pretty easy. I have kayaked in there for lunch many times and have never gotten any attitude from the lobstermen. Sleepy but friendly town.

With great ice cream :D

I did not say the Fishermen were unfriendly or had an attitude. I said they made comments.. Perhaps I chose the wrong words. I was not offended by what was said to us. I got a laugh. Maine Fisherman can say some funny (not unfriendly) things at the expense of people "from away".

I like seafaring folk. I think people in these small coastal towns embody all that is best in America .

Matter of fact my Grandfather and his Family going back to the 1700's into the early 1920's were Fishing and Lobstering in Deer Isle, ME.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just wanted to report back about the overnight parking at Round Pond. Just before you get to the boat ramps (there are 2) there is a sign on the right that says no overnight parking beyond that point. There is room for about 5 cars along the side of the road. I went out last Thursday and there was plenty of space. When I returned on Sunday, it was completely full. Not sure where people were because i never saw another kayaker the whole weekend except the ones in my group.

Great long weekend of paddling. It's tough to be back in the office.

david

We've been paddling Muscongus Bay for years. We launched at Round Pond this past summer. We've launched off Bradford Point where folk seem to leave their vehicles overnight.

We've stayed on Flood's Cove for some part of the summer starting in 1990 so, we've most often launched there.

I think John Flood would be approachable for using the Cove as a launch point for folk not renting. www.floodscove.com/