Looking for a new tent.

jason

It's time for me to replace my old tent leaky tent

I am looking for a free standing 2 person 3 season tent & footprint to use kayaking.

On my trip of a lifetime, John lent me this tent. The tent was great it kept me dry an i tent but it was a little short for me. The fly does require does require two to four stakes for the fly, so the tent wasn't 100% free standing but close enough.

I found this tent on paper it looks like it might be better as it's 7'8" long.

I could use some real world advice as looking on the web isn't the same as living with a tent for a period of time.

Thanks -Jason

I just bought this tent. It is light, has a bathtub bottom which withstood 2 days of rain the first time I tried it out. It is free standing but the vestibules on the fly require two stakes total. I am not sure if it is long enough for you, Jason, but it is a bit wider so that may help. Full price is a bit much but I got it during the clearance sale so it was quite a bit cheaper.

Hi Jason,

I dont have a specific model to recommend, but I have some thoughts from many years of camping and backpacking in most of the seasons. A) free standing tent is the way to go, but having as many optional staked down/tie-down points as possible is good. I've had nights in light weight backpacking tents were the winds basically collapsed the tent down over my face with every good gust. Being able to anchor the tarp and or poles half way up helps alot in storms. B ) within practical limits, bigger is better. It's one thing to find a tent big enough to sleep in; it's another if you might have to spend most of a day or two hanging out waiting for the weather to improve. So my normal tent is a 3 person light weight mountaineering tent. Very roomy for two, works for 3 and your not locked into coffin position if you have to hang out. C) find a tent with a big vestibule. Being able to leave the wet shoes/gear outside or at the extreme cook just outside the door (not recommended) really increase comfort. D) though not critical, two doors rather than one can significantly improve your interactions with your tent mate over a trip. So that said, something like this tent would fit the bill.

Have fun shopping.

Phil

Hey Jason,

I bought this SD tent years ago for backpacking and it's still going strong and dry:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24280

I also bought it because I needed/wanted the 8' length. Mine only has 1 door and a different style fly that is a bit low and tricky to enter without getting wet from runoff. Also, I believe all tents will have at least a couple of stakes that are necessary to pull the fly away from the tent body.

Jon

...staked down/tie-down points...good...

One necessary feature of a multi-season tent is the tie points. In warmer months you want to pull the fly away from the tent as much as possible to increase ventilation.

We recently purchased a tent that requires a tarp. It has the bathtub bottom but nothing but screen above that. It makes for a lighter and smaller tent to pack. If you have the appropriate bag(s) you get any season you wish.

I'm not sure how many tents have extra long versions to meet your unique requirements as most tents I've been aren't overly long for little old me. You might want to contact my "gear advisor".

Jason, I have been thinking that I no longer need my North Face Talus and had started to think of selling it. It has been used only half-a-dozen times, at a guess, and comes with footprint. It is a 2-person tent, free-standing (not <always> the best thing, mind), waterproof and in fine condition. For the mostpart, I now use a smaller tent.

See if you can find it online for dimensions, etc -- I think it would prove spacious enough for you...meanwhile, I shall think up some outrageous asking price! :D

I bought a Marmot from the REI outlet that is 109" long. I've only set it up at home; I may use it this weekend. Setup was pretty quick the first time.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/777943

I will have to take a look at that. On paper that tent is about 1' longer than most two people tents.

As for the other points:

I agree that a free standing tent is the way to go for me.

Staking the fly out makes good sense.

This will be a two person tent that I will be using as a solo tent, thus one door is enough for me.

-Jason

So is there a trip report to be found? And you're too young to have had a trip of a lifetime ;)

Phil

I should have a trip report done soon, it won't be the most eloquent trip report nor the most complete (I should have taken notes...).

(I should have taken notes...).

There is much to be said for keeping a log of paddles and while on journeys. Great for future reference and revisiting/recalling memories.

Ed Lawson

Who is looking forward to report eloquent or not.

Here are a couple of tents that get great customer reviews.

The Mutha Hubba is actually a 3 person but the packed size is only 8"X18"

2 Person MSR Hubba Hubba HP Tent

Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 Tent

3 Person MSR Mutha Hubba Tent

Review of MSR Mutha Hubba Tent

I actually own a North Face Stratos and I love it for kayak camping might be a little heavy for backpacking unfortunately they don't make any more

Marmot Swallow 2P Tent is the closest I've seen to the Stratos as far as design but it too is heavy.

Neil

When I bought my tent I found a trip to Hilton Tent City, across from North Station in Boston, very rewarding. They have two floors of tents setup. Much better than pictures.

I got a Eureka tent and the scout troop I work with swears by them for durability. I cannot make an endorsement for Eurekas as Kayaking tents since I have not tried that yet.

Good hunting.

When I bought my tent I found a trip to Hilton Tent City, across from North Station in Boston, very rewarding. They have two floors of tents setup. Much better than pictures.

I got a Eureka tent and the scout troop I work with swears by them for durability. I cannot make an endorsement for Eurekas as Kayaking tents since I have not tried that yet.

Good hunting.

Agreed, everyone should go to Hilton's Tent City at least once. It's amazing how much stuff they have there. Reminds me of LLBean 40 years ago.

I agree Hilton's Tent City is a great place to visit I think there are 4 floors in all. The place is packed with camping stuff. Kind of reminds me of NE Small Craft only with tents :) I bought a Eureka Equinox 6 person by phone and had it the next day via UPS.

Neil

Just $0.02 worth, in addition to everyone else's. I use a Mountain Hardware Trango 2 - free-standing, 4-season, fits in the hatch, sets up quickly, watertight and rock-solid. A friend who is a NOLS instructor said they use the Trango for their month-long kayak trips. Mark fit into mine with room to spare. Take a look, see if it would suit your needs. Has a spiffy window in the roof to see the moon, and a window on the front vestibule to see outside without unzipping the flap. Also has both front and rear door/vestibule. Well-designed and rugged.

Kate

Good hunting.

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Never knew this place existed!