Sat/sun 9/1-2 - Level 3- Harbor Islands from Winthrop

alcoons

Hi.

Long range weather report just improved for Saturday. Hoping to do a average level 3 with leaning on the mellow side this weekend. Will have to be ready for wind and waves and the main channel crossing but not looking to push it. Looking for general interest at this point.

I have never launched from Winthrop. Is there a consensus now on which of the two put-ins is better? Any comments on crossing from the large Alien Children Birthing Tanks masquerading as a sewage treatment facility to the first island?

Thanks,

Al

Hi.

Long range weather report just improved for Saturday. Hoping to do a average level 3 with leaning on the mellow side this weekend. Will have to be ready for wind and waves and the main channel crossing but not looking to push it. Looking for general interest at this point.

I have never launched from Winthrop. Is there a consensus now on which of the two put-ins is better? Any comments on crossing from the large Alien Children Birthing Tanks masquerading as a sewage treatment facility to the first island?

Thanks,

Al

Al,

Having used both, the put in at the boat ramp is better. The crossing at deer island is the shortest. If you do saturday, both G and I are in.

No consensus.

If you like a short boring paddle with occassional flyovers by airliners then the boat ramp is your thing (you need to do it twice). It is a bit shorter drive and has more parking. You can also get your vehicle much closer to the water.

I have never parked outside the lot at Deer Island but I know one or two who have. Outside "high season" parking simply isn't an issue. The only negative for Deer Island is the relatively long carry over sand and pebbles, think Pebble Beach with a bit more distance. For that, you get a beach and a view of the harbour for a final assessment of your intentions.

From my point of view Deer Island is clearly superior.

Off of the point there is an intersecting buoy where the channel splits. I'd cross one or two buoys outside of that, thus making a second crossing necessary, or cross on the inner harbour side of this buoy. If you don't have a chart to see what I'm describing you should get one. I'm not sure if the fast ferries are reduced/off the water but they do not observe channel boundaries.

There is a prominent shoal stretching east from Deer Island that is both tame and visible. There is at least one other rock formation near Deer Island but not difficult to avoid. I've never experienced difficulty in moderately exciting weather. The Winthrop launch is more protected.

The only tidal concerns I am aware of in the outer harbour are between Great and Little Brewster (Boston Light) and the sand spit off of Great Brewster. If you're on Little Brewster at low tide crossing in between the two islands is difficult/impossible and the sand spit is at its maximum extent. The west side of Great Brewster now means a long paddle around the spit or a portage. the east side of Great Brewster now means a possible counter-clockwise trip around Little Brewster (aptly named, not too long).

The last time we hit Boston Light the reservists initially shooed us from the island and fifteen minutes later practically demanded we come up and sign the visitor's register. We accepted the welcome mat, had a brief chat, and spent a few minutes on the grass before returning to the water.