Cool!

Gillian

article from CNN:

"John Huth, who works on the collider's ATLAS experiment, called such fears "baloney" in a recent interview, and noted that in normal physics, even if the black hole were stable, it could just pass through the Earth without being detected or without interacting at all.

"The gravitational force is so weak that you'd have to wait many, many, many, many, many lifetimes of the universe before one of these things could [get] big enough to even get close to being a problem," said Huth, professor of physics at Harvard University."

So if you turn out to be incorrect can I have your kayak?

:)

Yup, 'twas me. The reporter caught me in a slightly uppity mood, but yeah, you don't have to worry about a black hole swallowing up the earth. But, if it does happen, you can have my kayak. If the earth gets swallowed by a black hole, I'd upgrade to a Cetus, anyway.

If you have any questions about the unification of the fundamental forces of nature, fire away.

Also, the tidal forces near the surface of a black hole are *huge*.

Yup, 'twas me. The reporter caught me in a slightly uppity mood, but yeah, you don't have to worry about a black hole swallowing up the earth. But, if it does happen, you can have my kayak. If the earth gets swallowed by a black hole, I'd upgrade to a Cetus, anyway.

If you have any questions about the unification of the fundamental forces of nature, fire away.

Also, the tidal forces near the surface of a black hole are *huge*.

I think only G would ask for someone's kayak if the world was coming to an end.. :haha: